In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just saw my first Coyote

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I just drove into Asheville, at 10 am. A coyote ran right across the road, right in front of my truck. I had to hit the brakes.
He was about 50 pounds. He was a big healty looking mutt. He had a big fluffy tail, it reminded me of a wild fox. He was going full speed, had a very fast, graceful run, that big tail was sticking out straight behind him.
I hope he doesn't go 10 miles north and mess with my pets, we may have to tangle.

Comments

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    that would be a nice one to play with........ a .223

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    Saw my first one about 5 years ago. I was sitting at the breakfast table in the morning when the beast came strolling through the back yard. I let my dog out about 10 minutes after the sighting and you should have heard the carrying on. Man the dog went nuts when she picked up the scent. [:0][:0]
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I see them every day on my property. They keep the bunny population down. I harber no ill will for the animal.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Where ya at Allen, Weaverville?

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    although this was not my first sighting it was my best look .we just bought property to move our shop ,monday morning i was pulling in to pick up some tools .as i eased next to the pole barn i caught a yote crossing our field . he stopped to get a look at what i was doing then went about his way .it was a good looking animal ,definatly not starving . i'd guess it to be around 40-50 pounds .probably look skinnier wet . i will have the 223 with next time i pull in .maybe try to do a set up for one soon .

wrench .
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have ALOT of coyotes around these parts, I see them all the time when I am out driving the county roads.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am in Marshall, was on the Marshall-Weaverville Road when I saw the coyote.
    edited November -1
    Whoa Marshall, I lived in Flat Creek for a spell, West Asheville for a shorter spell and also in Weaverville. I remember looking at a house in Marshall that was up for sale, could have swore I heard Deliverance playing in the background as I was leaving town. Seems everyone was wearing overalls and chompin chaw. My mom still lives off the French Broad in North Asheville, near Woodfin. I did take my motorcycle test in Marshall from the sweetest little filly, passed too. So how do you like living in Marshall Allen? A you a natural born southerner?

JC

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    We got to many around here taking their toll on the calves & lambs...

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We see them every evening, and hear them at night every time a train goes by, will have to start thinning them out since they are running and killing calves.... Calling them up and getting a clean kill with the 22-250 or the M1 Garand is a good thing.[8D]

It must be right, or we wouldn't do it this way!
    edited November -1
    I was born in Montana, moved to Ga at age one year.
    I lived in the flat land of central Ga for a long time.
    I like these mountains, my log cabin is right on top of one. A snow storm is expected for tomorrow, I like it! I can see the French Broad River right out this window, half a mile away.
    edited November -1
    When I move back to WNC we should meet, that is if you would like too.

JC

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We see them a lot too in S.E. Kansas where I hunt. It's odd, for a few years they will be quite healthy and beautiful animals then they get overpopulated and start looking all mangey and nasty. We thin them out when they look like this. I've wanted to get a big healthy one to have mounted, but I've yet to see one when I was carrying something that wouldn't leave a wound the size of a mortar when it hit him.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    BH where do you hunt in KS I thought you was an Okie boy. Also do the same here in NE Oklahoma. They get so thick that they start coming in and preying on pets

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    The gray ghost. I see them often and hear them more often. They are tough on cats, calves, and deer. I have seen what they can do to a deer when they hunt in packs.

I have a great deal of respect for them, but I find them fair game when I am on the hunt. I have shot a number of them through the years. Still there is something so primoral when you see one gliding across a white snow blanketed plain. They are survivors -- from the coldest to the warmest from the most rural to the alleys of L.A.
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see them frequently here in MO, and have killed them with a .223 a .243 a .270 a shotgun and an arrow on two separate occasions. MY wife got one with the car a couple of months back!! Now, a Bobcat-that's what I want next season...
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see them occasionaly but hear them much more often. (Usually the pups yapping.) I think the dogs are afraid of them because you never hear any dogs barking when you hear the coyotes.
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    I saw my first one may tears ago at Camp Pendleton California.
    They like to enter our huts when it was too hot to keep the doors closed. Slept with my bayonet just in case one of them got too hungry!

Gun_smokes.gif

Swanton.gif
    edited November -1
    Interstate Pawn--- You coming back? I thought you had forsaken the dope besotted dreadlocked white homeless bums of Asheville forever.

Sure let me know when you get back we could hook up.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw a freshly shot one thawing out on the floor of a taxidermists shop south of Chatlottesville last week. He was a good looking, well fed animal about half the size of a shepherd. Someone popped him off in the Shenandoah valley west of here. Looked very lifelike.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Interstate Pawn--- You coming back? I thought you had forsaken the dope besotted dreadlocked white homeless bums of Asheville forever.

Sure let me know when you get back we could hook up.
    Well, they finally replaced the lesbo mayor Leni Sitnick a few years back and I will always go out of my way to stay out of Asheville city limits. They warned me when I left that I would be returning, something about those mountains getting into your blood.

JC

• dennisjohnsondennisjohnson Member Posts: 471 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    e have them scattered through out south dakota. this is the only state i can think of where you can hunt the "state animal" (coyote) and the "state bird" (ringneck pheasant) !!![:D]

dennis