In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Calibers, in order of power

BigBoreRobBigBoreRob Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Is there some place that lists, in order of power, all the calabers?
Its real cofusing with all the calabers and mm, and the thisXthat.
Tried to do a search to see if this has come up in the past but the search has just never worked for me, just times out and never loads.

Ill never understand why a women would dedicate her entire life to making one man miserable when she could make so many men happy

Comments

• paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Any good ballistic chart will give ya all the info ya need!!! Do a search on the web for ballistic charts!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A modern reloading manual USUALLY lists the cartridges in order of power. From the lowest to the highest.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your looking for (I think) a chart that lists cartridges by there Muzzle Energy, not sure if there is one. As a rule of thumb (there are some exceptions) the larger the bore the higher the energy, and within a given bore size the larger the case the higher the energy.

I did find a chart that lists cartridges by the amount of Recoil they generate http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a formula for calculating energy in foot-pounds:
    bullet weight in grains X velocity squared/450400=ft-lbs

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to list them all, "way to Many" but I think the smallest is the CB cap all the way up to Atomic Anny in "end result" energy.[:D]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    There's an excellent reference called, "Ammo & Ballistics for hunters, shooters and collectors " by Bob Forker that lists all currently manufactured and readily available ammunition, with tables of muzzle velocity, energy, wind drift, drop, and Taylor Knock Out values to 500yds.
    Mebbe y'all can find one used.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    quote:Between 1000 and 3000 very painful.

700 NITRO: 6580[:0]

So...basically, it's like putting your shoulder up against the breech of a howitzer and pulling the cord?

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

feinstein2.bmp
  • duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 2nd edition of Ammo and Ballistics reviews data out to 1000 yards for 1,900 loads. It's one of the best publications I've read on the subject yet. Only $19.95 at Barnes and Noble too..