In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Diggin' a POND! Need Help,please..........

bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Anyone have experience with this? I want to dig some ponds on my land. One will be about 1/4 acre,the other about 2-3 acres. This is where I hope to have a GB get-together in the not-to-distant future and want to get this done first. I did some clearing today and picked some prospective locations. In this state I have to have it OK'd by several agencies,i.e. DHEC,Corps of Engineers,Forestry Comm,etc. I just want a little knowledge before I start. Thanks,bigt.

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Explosives!!![:D][:D]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just finished digging a pond. It will be roughly 3 acres surface when full and 14 feet deep. Because of the drought this fall, the lake is currently about 4 feet deep and maybe 1 acre in size. Hopefully, it will fill by the end of spring.

Here in Texas, we don't have to go through any of the agencies you mention, unless they are financially helping. I chose to go it alone and not have any restrictions or get involved with them.

What state do you live in that requires the approvals?

Rafter-S
    edited November -1
    Hey, BigT, here is something I found interesting, in SC if you construct a pond for "...water storage for irrigation, water supply, sediment control, erosion control or aquaculture and wildlife management, providing these items are not located in or adjacent to and filled primarily by coastal waters of the State", then you can write off part of the cost of construction with a tax credit.

http://www.scdhec.net/eqc/water/html/drstax.html

aliens.jpg
    edited November -1
    But you might also consider....that where there is water....there's a boatload of mex....er I mean mosquitos.[:D]

aliens.jpg
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When are we going duck hunting?
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the way, I have some digital photos of my lake in various stages of construction and would be glad to email them to you if you want. It's one of the prettiest lakes sculptured out of a small wash you will ever see. The topsoil was pushed to the side before digging, then pushed back on top at completion. Even saved the bermuda roots and sprigged the levy with the dozer.

Rafter-S
  • bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks rl. [;)]

bolthandle,you got any?[:D]

Rafter-S, you need a good hand? South Carolina! They have to make sure I don't upset any creek chubs or spotted owls or feral TV's and such. And they only charge several hundred dollars to tell me I can't dig a pond where I want. Whatta fun bunch,don't you agree?[:p]

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigt7mm
    Thanks rl. [;)]

bolthandle,you got any?[:D]

Rafter-S, you need a good hand? South Carolina! They have to make sure I don't upset any creek chubs or spotted owls or feral TV's and such. And they only charge several hundred dollars to tell me I can't dig a pond where I want. Whatta fun bunch,don't you agree?[:p]

You know what to do in that situation don't ya, BigT? Before you get it inspected you go and kill all them little critters and get rid of the evidence that way they are already displaced before they get there.

aliens.jpg
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO.[:D]

Saw an article years ago on building ponds and they used a fertilizer type explosive.

It wasnt called ANFO, but Ill bet it was the same thing.

It did make a pond, but the dam was less than desired.

There wasnt any!

Soil and everything else was blown all over the field.

Looked like a real mess.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
    edited November -1
    Rich,you musta been reading my mind. How do you find all that stuff so quick? Reckon I need some lessons. Thanks for the info. BTW,I'll get you up there in the coming weeks,OK? Bring toys![:D]

Gary,just as soon as you wanna get down here! More ducks than you could shake a stick at. I oughta know,we put up 60+ wood duck boxes at work and I was doing the photog stuff for Waterfowl and Wetlands mag,SCWA and others. My land is in Cross,right across the road from the world-renowned Santee-Cooper lakes! Bring your toys,too! I know you got one or two,maybe.[;)]

Rafter-S,I would like to see what you did! What equipment did you use? I have a Ford 3000 w/all the accoutrements and access to a Case 580 backhoe. Can probably get a trac-hoe,if needed. Send me some pics,if you don't mind. Thanks,bigt.

edited November -1
    bolthandle,yeah but I bet it was fun![:D]

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Has anyone mentioned clay? I thought you had to have soil with a lot of clay in it for good pond contruction...??? but hey, guess who hasn't built one? that'd be me

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to call your local game and fish agency after you get it done. The Arkansas Game & Fish Comission will sometimes stock your pond for free, with leftover fish from the hatcheries. Your state game and fish commision may do the same. Also you should seed the sides of it with something like rye grass as soon as possible to prevent erosion. Are you just going to dig a hole or are you planning on daming up a creek as well?

10-X.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    A guy down the road built a pond on his land and the EPA or some such federal agency told him it was a violation of some kind. They fined him $5,000 and made him bulldoze the dam or pay additional fines per day. Not sure of the specifics, but may be worth checking into before they show up at your place .

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah. You may have to file an Environmental Impact Statement.

10-X.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Just get a Trac Hoe and dig it. Sell the dirt as fill.$$$$$$$$$$
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
    edited November -1
    Pond? Hell it was already there when I got the place.[:D]

aliens.jpg
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let us know when its done, I want pics. [:D]

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
    edited November -1
    Downs, that's the story my neighbor tried. They came up with satellite photos from 1995 showing his property with no pond. Busted.
    I told him to throw a couple beavers in there and blame it on them. You are not allowed to displace wetland critters so they would have had to let it stay.

edited November -1
    BDJ and rl,that's my problem exactly! The RMC(register mesne conveyance) office takes aerial pics annually and compares them to previous pics and if you have somehow acquired a pond, without their express written consent,blessing,kissing of *,and paying of fees,you will fill it in or pay them to do the same,at a rate most would consider statutory rape,if not worse. But they will give you a piece of candy. Don't aks me how I know,OK?[;)]

• jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Good luck with state agencies on ponds. Here in KY we are not tied by restrictions except for protected wetlands and in city limits. The last aeril photo of my farm was taken when my gret grandfather owned it in the 70s! They never update their aeril photos unless you ask and pay for it!

How to dig a pond:
    If ground is flat, have a backhoe dig a hole about 10 feet deep. insert 55 gallon steel drum. Fill to top with a pasty mixture of amonia nitrate and diesel fuel. Incert one stick of farm grade TNT with electric blasting cap. Call neighbors and local LEOs to fore warn. Have backhoe cover up drum but make sure you have 200+ yards of wire running from blasting cap. Climb into the trunk of a 50s or 60s model junk car but take latch off so you can exit! Take wires and touch to battery. Ear plugs are a must. Dust clears and rocks quit falling, instant pond. Most expence will be paying for any neighbor windows broken and maybe a small fine for the amonia nitrate and diesel fuel! Now you can dig a pond![;)]

As funny/stupid as that sounds, I know a man who done that about 20 years ago! Has a real nice pond on the farm now but the local sheriff came out because he rattled windows 1/2 mile down the road! Sheriff got a good laugh out of it.[:p]

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a plan jj![:D]

• groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    BigT7mm, Go to the local ASCS office for that county and check to see if any "grants" are available for your "conservation" project!!! Jump through the hoops abit, get their propasal for what you want to do, make sure you have the dollar figures right, then get one of your buddies to dig the pond, build the dam for about 50% of what they said they'd pay you and pocket the difference and buy guns to shoot the damn ducks that are now defecating in your pond! Isn't gov't wonderful? GHD PS: If all them people working with these agencies knew as much about farming as they think they do, they'd all be farmers!!!!
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there are some govt assist pay programs thru fsa, nrcs, or wildlife agencies but some of these programs have ringers if they help pay the public has access...screw em...move to some place where you have rights on your property other than bank interest & taxes.......
    edited November -1
    Charlie,where you been? Missed ya' around here! I'm gettin a 541-THB pretty soon,if things go right. I can't build a d@mn dam cause it's all flat around here! When you coming down? Maybe we can do some shootin'? Bring yer goodies,just in case![;)][:D]

• groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    BigT, I thought I'd been here!!! Next trip that way will probably be EASTER time! That is unless Wendy wants to bring the girls only...it's a bit of a hassle at the retirement community for everybody to come at once! If I can work it out, I'll being the 541-S and probably a couple others and we'll have a little shooting fun! GHD
    PS: Some people don't get "POOFED" and have an unexcused absense for a couple weeks!!!!!hahahhahahahaha[:D][:D][}:)][:D]
    edited November -1
    Jim if you give me the coordinates for your property I can post a satellite photo of it from within recent time clear enough to show you taking a leak in the back yard. Pretty scary stuff huh? That' how I got pictures of our property to decide how to develope it. Anyone with a computer can do it.

• earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have dug several ponds. Not much to it. Just make sure you have the right equipment, track-hoe or dozer. Your backhoe will probably work but you'll be there awile. Bentonite is the best material for lining your pond. If it's not available in your area, clay will work. If you want more info, you can email me.

4dff19a9.gifc716f163.gif72d96bc6.jpg
    Proud member of the NRA and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ponds are a gamble. ive known many to go dry in arkansas and georgia because they didnt prepare the bed properly. many leaked, many had no flow etc... do your homework before you begin. ask questions!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You ought to be buy sacks of the powdered bentonite at most any co-op, lumber yard, or quarry and/or masonry supplier. It is basically a powdered clay that swells to something like 400 times its size when you add water. Great for sealing even partially loamy soils; however, you will have a hard time sealing a soil that is extremely well drained - unless you want to haul in a BUNCH of regular clay.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    open it up to swimmers...i will split 50/50 on all the gold and silver and coins that i dive for...lol[:D]

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Usually filling or draining an existing pond is more regulated than building one. Could buy a cow and say you needed a water hole. Leave a few little islands in the pond. Gives waterfowl safe haven and nesting areas and allows areas to set up as blinds.
    edited November -1
    Good info here. Thanks everyone! I do have some Q's though.

Does it have to be lined or does it depend on the soil?

I've heard of some contractors who will dig it w/o charge,just for the soil. Anyone tried this?

What's the minimum depth for sustaining fish,etc? 8',10'? It won't freeze here.

TOOLS1,bring your shovel next time you come down![:D]

• MoonlighterMoonlighter Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobski has some good info! Do your homework. The most important part of a pond is the 'core'. If you dont' do it right, it will leak. Depending on how much acreage you have, you may be able to go to the FSA in your area (the old ASCS) and ask for cost sharing. Here in Missouri there is usually enough money in the county to do7 or 8 a year. The main thing is to sign up and let the FSA lay it out for you.
    Then, regardless of whether you cost share, the Feds have it laid out for you, and it will be legal.

"Things always look better from the top.....take the hill!"