In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Auction Question

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Would the bidders rather guys selling items here start their auctions at what they want for the item or start the auctions at a $1.00 and put a reserve on the auction ? Some say they hate auctions with reserves. Any thoughts ?

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?

Comments

• MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm getting ready to sell my first rifle here on GB. I know many don't want to buy from someone who is NR. I have bought several handguns here and have a good rating as a buyer. Will this help with those who are hesitant about my NR statis? What can I do to over come bidders hesitancy? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    edited November -1
    Not that it really matters, but I'm curious,
    I put an item on the auction with a 1 cent min. bid, no reserve.
    There have been 2 bids and the current bid is one cent.
    What am I missing here? Thought that the first bid would be one cent and bid number 2 would have to be more than that.
    Thought I was going to get rich on this one, but I guess not.
    [:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Just want to be sure its not just at my end Do the pics in this one look extra Small.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=392858720

Did send the seller a note asking to see some larger pics.
    edited November -1
    I st that model 27 up with a reserve and a buy it now price.
    It reached reserve but now it says "buy it now prce was$$$" what makes it do that? I have had other auctions that the buy it now price stayed on after it reached reserve...I didn't do anything different when I listed this one
    edited November -1
    How do I save auctions to my saved list instead of my watched list?
    edited November -1
    I won a new Bianchi O.D. green military holster on an auction. The bid I won at was $20.50 plus shipping. I did the check out and sent the guy an e-mail to verify his address. Should I go ahead and ship payment even if he doesn't respond? He only has 6 feedbacks but they are all good and three of them were on high dollar items. What do you guys think?

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....
    edited November -1
    I have been watching a particular sellers auctions and he had a rifle that generated no bids, auction ends and he realists $200 less, but auction still ends with no bids.

He then posts a different rifle at a elevated but somewhat reasonable price and after two days of no bids, a NR bidder bids in at the beginning price and then a day later submits a bid but original bid price doesn't change.

With a NR bidding like that, would you be concerned it was a shill, since his other auctions hadn't received a bid?

I would likely pay the original price, but not a lot more and I won't get into a bidding fest with a NR buyer, did once and not again.

Just curious as to you fellows thoughts on this.

Mule
    edited November -1
    This is not a complaint just a wondering question.

I just had a buyer win an auction this evening. The buyer only had 2 feed back and both are good but the last one was in 2005.

I tried to respond to his winning though the GB link and direct though his email which says it is a bad address. Is there another way to try and contact the buyer?

Again if this is totally off limits sorry.
    edited November -1
    How do you search for a specific sellers auctions?
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I don't think this is a violation, but if it is, moderators please feel free to poof it. With my advance apologies.

My question is about an item I just placed a bid on. When I went to put in my Autobid, the item was going for $82. I placed my Autobid limit and I immediately got a message that I wasn't the high bidder, and that the new high bid was $5 higher than mine.

The weird thing is, the bid history shows the bid higher than mine was placed 6 days ago, but the 'name' doesn't show up on any of the lower bids. I guess I figured if someone placed an Autobid 6 days ago with a limit higher than mine, shouldn't it have outbid the guy that was lower than mine? I have been watching the auction for a week, and the $82 bid has been there for a day or two, and the one before that had been high bid for 3 or 4.

Is it possible to place an Autobid to kick in at a certain price point? Although after I typed that, I am not sure what the purpose would be for a feature like that.

As I said, not complaining, but curious about the mechanics of the Autobid.
    edited November -1
    I have a couple goodies up on the block right now. I am not in need of selling but they are things that I am not using and the market is in demand for now. May sound kidna bad but if I can get a good price for them I will sell, if not I am hanging on to them as I do enjoy having them.

One of the times is, http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=122546320

I have several watchers on all my other stuff but none on this one. I find that kind of odd. I know you can get just the gun in a "modern" version for about $350-400. I know it will be worth more to someone that just has to have all the goodies. But I did not think my pricing was high for what is there. Am I wrong about that or is there something else wrong with the auction?
    edited November -1
    Is there a way to go back and see what you paid for a gun well over 90 days ago?
    edited November -1
    If you use the showcase feature or other added features and relist until sold are you charged the option fee every time it relists?
    edited November -1
    Lets say an auction has a buy now of $245.00 and a starting bid of 23.95. Someone bids on this auction for 23.95. A few days later the seller adds "Please note the price was suppose to be $230.95 not $23.95. Having auction corrected".

What will happen? Will it be corrected by c.s. Or will he have to tough it out.

In theroy of course[:)]
    edited November -1
    if a guy has a starting bid of 150 and a buy it now of 195, if I bid the starting price does the buy it now go away? I have sen many ads where it says buy it now price was XXX and people end up having to bid higher than that to win....
    like this one.....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125597755
    edited November -1
    If you place a "max bid amount" that is higher that the current bid, can you/how do you reduce your max bid?
    For instance, if the current bid is $100. and my max bid is $500. can I reduce my max bid to $400.?
    edited November -1

Looking for info about an M1A that was listed by meade74 in an auction a few days ago. I've tried to email with no luck about the gun that was listed. It shows that it had no bids on it and I wanted to make an offer. If anyone can help me out with getting in touch with the seller it would be greately appreciated.

Here is the listing link but its going to stop working soon.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126032854

Thanks,

Matt
    edited November -1
    i won a set of dies
    i have sent the seller 3 emails 2 thru GB and one personal
    no response
    would you send the money order or wait the mailing adress is in his contact info
    what to do

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up. "texasflag-thumbnail.jpg
    edited November -1
    I have a listing on GB but not getting any bids.
    Is there any reason why I should not list the same item on other auction sites?
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273742894

Why is the first pic in this auction so large? I thought that all pics automatically resized after a short while. It has been like this since the auction started.
    edited November -1
    On items that I have bid on is there a way to delete them off of my bidding list after it has went past my max bid? The same way that you can delete them off of your watch list? All the "actions" button does is allow you to bid again or BIN. Thanks.

Todd
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Generally, people don't like reserves. Many buyers seem to think that a seller should always sell something for less than its worth and never make a profit. There is a big difference between just wanting to get rid of something and selling something that the buyer has purchased for resale.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This matter has been discussed here so many times that I wonder if the people at Gun Broker even pay attention to what the members have to say about the subject? There is nothing at all wrong with having a reserve, in person auctions use these quite often. The problem is these "hidden reserves" and if my local auction house used this nonsense he'd lose his bond and be shut down...or lynched! If you need X amount of money for your item just post it clearly so that all of us can see what we need to do in order to get the process started. To offer an opening bid of $1 and then have a hidden reserve of $1,000 is a waste of everyones time; if you need $1,000 just say so and we'll procede or move along. My own opinon is that if you wish to start your opener at $1 then you must NOT be allowed the use of a reserve of any sort because $1 indicates a need to sell the item at the current market price on that particular day. In most in person auctions the item offered start at an opener of approx. 50% of its estimated value and if there is no interest then the opener is lowered until bidding begins. Here on GB if there is no interest then the item just keeps being recycled for months on end at the same opening bid. Some sellers don't seem to understand that no one is willing to pay $900 for a $500 rifle no matter how many times it is pushed into their face.

Mark T. Christian
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reserve is not a good idea because so many listers don't properly use them ... me and many, many others simply scan right by the reserve auctions as we don't want to spend the time to only find out the reserve is basically retail or retail+ ... waste of time.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am with Mark, I never, or almost never bid on reserve auctions. If you need to get $400 for an item, that is understandable. You are selling to make money, you know what you need to get. In a store a gun has a price, you don't have to guess. I might be willing to pay that price or even more, but the price is not a secret. If you have a minimum bid of $400 and I am willing to pay at least that, I will bid, and maybe bid higher. Make that $400 a hidden reserve, and I will not go bidding, I will keep looking. The hidden reserve serves no purpose in my view except to discourage bidders.

He Dog
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I agree with what has been said. It would be good if GB used a default minimum starting bid when someone uses reserve auctions. In other words, if your reserve is $1,000, then the minimum starting bid is $500. You can always enter higher starting bid if you want to, but you are blocked from entering lower bid than 50% of the reserve. Personally I think the minimum should be more like 70% instead of 50% for reserve auctions.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

NRA Life Member
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This might get me my first poof, but I wish GB would do what the "other" gun auction site has started doing with their "penny auctions." Make a seperate category for all listings with a starting price of 1 cent and no reserve. You should see some of those bids over there. Heck, I have even bid on stuff I didn't want just because it was selling for so little. BUT..at the end, most, if not all of those items, bring decent prices. Just something about a penny start with no reserve gets most bidders going wild!
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    What! There is another gun auction? How could that be true?
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SOME WHERE, SOME TIME, A WISE GUN TRADER ONCE SAID. "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T TRY AND FIX IT"". THIS SYSTEM HAS SERVED US WELL FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS AND IS STILL THE LARGEST AND BEST GUN SITE ON THE NET. IMHO.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • drygulchstandrygulchstan Member Posts: 321 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wont bid on any reserve auctions. If they would just charge each time a auction is listed there would be some more reality prices. I looked at some guns a guy had for sale he wanted way too much told him so he said he seen the prices on the internet I also told him to look at compled items well he did that and no bids.
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree to a point duckhunter. I buy more stuff off GB than all the other sites combined. BUT...a little change never hurt. The only problem I have is sorting through all the crap on here. That just comes with size...heck look at e-barf! I do like the penny auction idea though. Best thing since sliced bread IMHO.