In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hitch mounting on the Jeep Wagoneer

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What a pain in the butt!!!The bolt on a wire trick wouldn't work cause the gas fill tube runs through a sleeve right through the frame. Finally just took my 4 inch diamond saw and cut a slot in the side of the frame and dropped the bolt through the holewith the spacer in place.The passenger side has the tailpipe right where the hitch rail wants to be so I had to heat the pipe and bend it out of the way. Burned the crap out of my hands. [note to self: don't touch red glowing metal] Then had to cut a slot in that side too. Ended up taking about 4-5 hours to get it all done and ready to wire up the harness. After wiring it up I hooked a trailer up and tested the lights...nothing. %$#$#@#@!!!!! Took an hour with my meter to find the short in the trailer wiring ,fix it,then change the bulbs and the fuse in the Jeep. Sometimes you just have to be relentless or it just won't get done.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Did ya check and see if the horn would toot?

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you use a wire harness adaptor that just plugs into the tailite harness? Sure makes that process easier than the old cut and crimp.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont hurt it.. its a good wagoneer..

Heck, if its a Grand Wagoneer, maybe you should uhh, do a giveaway... uhh... good idea eh? [:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:D][:D]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I mis-spoke about the Jeep. It is a Cherokee Sport and it has no wiring harness to plug into. Must have come in a later model. Took me 30 minutes to hitch up and wire the Beast.I really didn't expect to spend the better part of the day doing this little task.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    This is why I usually buy a jeep with the hitch already on them [:D]

aliens.jpg
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you had an "interesting" day! Glad the bolt trick worked on mine! Saved lots of time and, from the sounds of it, saved me some burnt skin! Also, thankfully, mine has a wiring harness that I plugged the trailer wires into and PRESTO! Trailer lights work! Anyway...sorry it was so much work for you. At least the job is done now! Tow away!