In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Subprime loan and Bush

chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
edited September 2007 in General Discussion
Well if I understand it. Bush want to help the people out with low interest loans thanks to tax dollars. That really makes me mad. These people took the risk to buy homes they couldn't afford and it didn't work out. I'm sorry but that is what caused the prices to rise so high. Let the homes forclose so the next group of buyers can afford a home. Maybe then I can afford the vacation home I've been saving for instead of just going out and buying and say things will work out.

Comments

• Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    There are plenty of good deals on the market right now.
  • Options
    Oren RudderOren Rudder Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Instead of bailing them out rewright their contracts to 5% and let the preditory loan companies eat the loss.
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chumchum
    Well if I understand it. Bush want to help the people out with low interest loans thanks to tax dollars. That really makes me mad. These people took the risk to buy homes they couldn't afford and it didn't work out. I'm sorry but that is what caused the prices to rise so high. Let the homes forclose so the next group of buyers can afford a home. Maybe then I can afford the vacation home I've been saving for instead of just going out and buying and say things will work out.

Are you able to intelligently describe how you attribute the blame for this to the President? Please present facts with sources rather than anecdotal internet conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is y'alls tax money bailing out the people.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of these folks are NOT suffering.
    Some were apartment dwellers, with less than desirable credit, and they bought a house with no money down, and often "interest only" payments.
    They lived above their means for a few years, and now will simply dump off the mortgages, and go back to renting.
    The rest, were "stupid investors", that couldn't see the end to their house flipping.
    They used the same financing methods, and are simply walking away from the mortgages.
    Their credit will be hurt,.....but you can be sure they have a nice place to live that is "protected". I know one of these folks!
    Let the banks, and finance companies that allowed this to happen, pay the price, as I certainly don't want to, with my tax dollars.[}:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    I guy that I work with has an interest only ARM. The worst possible loan you can get. He had to get this because for the past 8 years (since he emerged from chapter 7) him and his wife have been slowly eating away and spending their equity. They'd get a $50k line, max it out, then refinance to roll that in and do it all again. Now they have a $525k mortgage, NO equity and can barely afford to make the min interest only payments. As soon as his mortgage adjusts, he is screwed and will be out on the street.

The way I understood it, he would receive no $$'s from Uncle Sam but might be elligle for a conventional loan at a low rate (Backed by the Gov't).

The big downfall that I see with this is that these are sub-prime borrowers so their odds of default are many times more than prime borrowers. But if they make their payments, there is no loss to the gov't.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way I understand it may not be that bad,,it will allow someone behind on their notes to refiance through FHA with a fixed interest note,,alot of people still would not qualify but someone that had a ARM or variable rate mortgage and can't pay their note because of rising interest rates would have ONE chance to fix it and change to a fixed rate,,,I do not hold giving anyone a chance to keep their homes a bad thing,,as long as they can make the payments ,let them refiance ,,,most people blaim the banks for this mess and I know there are a few in here I will make mad but realtors had just as much to do with this mess,,,they helped people get all these wild loans just so they could sell the property and make their money,,they never cared if who they were selling too could pay for it,,I remember when you went to look at a house,,people in the bank and housing market would help you determine what you could afford,,now they just want to sell you what makes them the most
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sharpshooter,.......I fully agree! Realtors were having an "orgy", and even when things started downhill, and the signs were all there, they were still "preaching" that it was only a very temporary issue, and all would take off again.
    Where we may disagree is,.....I feel the buyer, is the one that is ultimately responsible for what they are getting into.
    If the bank offers them a "too good to be true" loan, they should have asked themselves if they would be able to pay,.........same for the realtors "pimping" property.
    Ultimately, stupid mistakes that a person makes, can only be blamed on the person that signed their name on the dotted line.
    May sound cold, but it is all about "responsibility", and if one is not informed enough to make these kinds of decisions,.......you should not be doing it, and passing off the blame to someone else.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warpig883

Are you able to intelligently describe how you attribute the blame for this to the President?

Yeah, right, haven't you heard that Bush Jr. is personally responsible for Global Warming (tm) by means of cow flatulence? He also has planned the asteroid disaster that's going to hit us in 30 years. Evil evil (deleted)!
  • Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between bailing them out and constantly paying to rebuild houses built in hurricane and tornado areas? Both are total wastes of money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Difference is,.......I pay $2,200.00 a year for homeowners insurance.
    Nobody will be rebuilding my home if it ever gets hit, except for the insurance company.
    I am not in favor of the FEMA bailouts, for folks that have no homeowners insurance either.
    Why don't we all drop our homeowners insurance,...........oh, I know why I won't, I accept personal responsibility.
    What a concept!
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I heard today that alot of the people that will be bailed out are Illegal immigrants.
  • Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Nobody will be rebuilding my home if it ever gets hit, except for the insurance company.
    I am not in favor of the FEMA bailouts, for folks that have no homeowners insurance either.
    Why don't we all drop our homeowners insurance,...........oh, I know why I won't, I accept personal responsibility.
    What a concept!

You really think homeowners insurance is rebuilding New Orleans and most of the Gulf Coast?
    And there are some houses along the coast that have been hit and rebuilt several times in the past, all at the cost of insurance, which drives up the premiums for everyone else. If the owners are dumb enough to keep rebuilding in the same place, they should not get insurance after the first time.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    i thought I heard him say
    he was going to TRY and work
    with the lending institutions
    to hopefully re-write the loans for some
    credit worthy borowers?
    Not the people who should have known
    they couldn't afford to pay back
    what they borrowed if the SHTF
  • Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they were a credit worthy borrower the first time around they would have got a fixed interest loan on a house they could afford. Not an ARM for a house more than they couldn't afford in most cases. I know a guy who bought a house interest only loan for 2 years. Thinking the prices would rise and he would sell make a profit and move on to the next house. Then instead of saving the money that he saved. He goes out and buys two new cars. Now he is to far in debt to get a new loan and crying the blues and having a heck of a time selling his house. The sad part is, this guy is not stupid and makes pretty good money. I think he watched one to many shows of flip this house.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,355 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    If they were a credit worthy borrower the first time around they would have got a fixed interest loan on a house they could afford. Not an ARM for a house more than they couldn't afford in most cases. I know a guy who bought a house interest only loan for 2 years. Thinking the prices would rise and he would sell make a profit and move on to the next house. Then instead of saving the money that he saved. He goes out and buys two new cars. Now he is to far in debt to get a new loan and crying the blues and having a heck of a time selling his house. The sad part is, this guy is not stupid and makes pretty good money. I think he watched one to many shows of flip this house.
    The greed of some people is unbelieveable. People like this just need to sink.
  • Options
    ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No bailouts.

These loans were made possible by predatory lenders that understood the risk.

Their only risk is that someone won't ever again pay $500,000 for that house they just repo'd.

Interest rates are set for financial risks of a loan. These ARM's are high risk.

If Bush bails them out........call me a Democrat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PC800
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    What a concept!

You really think homeowners insurance is rebuilding New Orleans and most of the Gulf Coast?
    And there are some houses along the coast that have been hit and rebuilt several times in the past, all at the cost of insurance, which drives up the premiums for everyone else. If the owners are dumb enough to keep rebuilding in the same place, they should not get insurance after the first time.

I guess you didn't understand the part of my statement that said, "I am not in favor of the FEMA bailouts".
    That is what is largely rebuilding New Orleans. I can't remember the figures, but the number of people with homes that had no homeowners insurance, or FLOOD insurance, was tremendous,.............this is in a city, surrounded by levees, and seriously, below sea level.
    I also agree with not rebuilding in "disaster prone" areas,........I am not in one BTW, but my insurance is sky high, because they are spreading the risk to me for the folks on the coast, and S. Florida.
    The folks in other states, that live in river basins, are no better.
    Every 10 to 20 years, their house gets washed away, or flooded out, and they rebuild in exactly the same spot.
    California,........houses on the sides of brush covered mountains, that burn, or experience mudslides every 5 years or so. Same thing, build a multi-million dollar house, right back in the same spot.
    I don't get it!