In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

When did HR take over the world ?

Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in General Discussion
I'm looking for a post retirement job and am amazed at the Great Wall most large companies have built around themselves. Humane Resources seems to do everything they can to prevent actually person to person communication. Companies are dying for good workers, but seem to do everything to prevent them from getting an actual interview. Crazy.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lawyer proofing the hiring process to keep the all seeing all knowing government booger eating bureaucrats at bay.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    Just prior to 1995, I'd wager.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hr are self important corporate gestaphoo. People got along just fine without them and suddenly everything is a closed door investigation. They create strife.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife has been in a hiring process with a large corp for two months now. She has had six, yes six individual phone interviews and is supposedly waiting for an actual in person interview. It is a employers market, they can treat potential applicants as crappy as they want.
  • Options
    44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HR people, aren't even huma,.they are plain evil.
    I get a call about 8:30 on a Wednesday evening from the asst-living center, Mary the head gal there says that Kenny has passed in his sleep. A doctor is on his way to confirm. Grampa Kenny had many heart issues and was listed as a DNR. He had me listed as his power of attorney for him. Mary, calls back about 9:00 and says that the doctor confirmed, he just went to sleep and that was that. OK. I call my work. Talk to second shift manager and tell him, per company / union rules, I am talking my one paid bereavement day for a grandparent and my one unpaid day, so will be back on Monday.
    Pack up some stuff, grab da' wife and head out.
    Monday morning, punch in. The union steward is waiting for me, says they want you in HR. Go in with him. The witch behind the desk snaps at me to sign this paper. I asked what it is. She says you are terminated for "no show - no call". I said I was on bereavement leave. She says I wasn't. Call Tom, the night manger. She did. He forgot to log me out. She says I have to prove my grandfather's death. Am sent home to get paper work that he was dead and I was out of town. Went back. HR and the union guy looked over the paper work and said I could return to work on Tuesday. I got a day off with out pay. I turned to the union steward and ask him why he wasn't backing and fighting for me? He says that HR is in charge and to just take the hit and move on. So that's what I get for the $15.00 a week you take out of my check?
    It wasn't long before I found a new job.
    The job before that, when my dad passed, THERE WAS NO HR !!!!
    Three days with pay and a huge floral arrangement from the company was sent to the funeral home. When I got back, they asked if I was doing OK or did I need a few more days off?
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HR stands for human refuse
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've often wondered just what kind of person wakes up in College and says "I want to work in HR".
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Several Years ago, I was attending a Business seminar. First words out of the Efficiency Expert were: " First thing to do is Fire all the HR department!"
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HR at HCA is a nightmare I couldn't fire anyone without spending a year or more to do it and monitoring their performance plan etc.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!