In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

picked up another hobby

wsm 325wsm 325 Member Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
chicken raising.. i have 103 of these little girls. they are about 4 weeks old now. girlfriend tried to get picure of all together but they wont stay still and pics come out bad. will try to get one though. definately a different experience but i enjoy it so far.

[img][/img]DSCN1156.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    If you handle them now they will be very tame when they "grow up".
    some of our chickens get mad and start squawking if you don't pet them!
    the only problem with tame chickens is they tend to get under your feet when youre cleaning out the coop.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Cute.

What kind are they?

They'll be ready to eat in about 12 weeks, unless you got them for eggs in which case you'll have to wait another few weeks.

Also hope you got a few roosters to keep the hens in line and happy. 7;1 is about the right ratio. 7 hens for each rooster. Keeps them too busy to want to fight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah the gf handles them everyday. they tried to trip me walkin in this morning. i have them for eggs. there is 3 roosters and 100 pullet hens for now. might get some different ones this week. just hard to adjust when i work 11+ hours a day. they are red sexlink pullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:hope you got a few roosters to keep the hens in line and happy

I did that the first year we had chickens.
    damn rooster kept waking me up at 0400!
    they were tasty little buggers[:p]

and be ready for ALOT of eggs!
    we end up giving them away, we get so many!folks in town drop off empty egg cartons at my clinic and the mrs comes in and changes 'em out for full ones.
    so, with 100 of 'em, even if they only lay every other day, youre gonna have almost 20 dozen a week!
    you won't have any trouble selling those nice farm fresh eggs! the hobby can pay for itself.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    If you look at their ear lobes, you can tell what color eggs they will lay.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:If you look at their ear lobes, you can tell what color eggs they will lay.

Yep, the red star (sex link) lay brown eggs.
    but I'm not so sure they're called "ear lobes"[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    on avarage this breed is supposed to do 300+ eggs a year. that will be 30,000 eggs a year. what did i just do [B)]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    U don't need any noisy mean old rooster, to get eggs, they'll lay eggs without one.. With a rooster, you stand to get fertelised eggs, no body wants to buy eggs w/blood spots in them.
    Of course if u want a few hens to "Set" and have chicks, u will need a rooster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:that will be 30,000 eggs a year. what did i just do

Yep.
    I give you credit, you jumped in with both feet![^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    DSCN1910.jpg

M R Ducks..

M R Ducks

M R Knott

OSAR

CM feet?
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When they get to be +/- 5lbs call me I'll bring the BBQ, charcoal & lighter fluid. [:p][8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the bad thing is my dad dont think i have enough. he is tryin to get me more. black sexlink this time. he says get these cause they are cheap. which they will be.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here ya go.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/faqtop.html

Answers to most anything you could imagine.

Sex Link chickens won't set eggs, they just drop them and go.

3 roosters for 100 hens? Poor guys will be too tired to crow. Well either that or be so happy they'll crow all the time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i can get black sexlink pullets 3 days old for 1.00 each. prob get some for this price