In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Incendiary and tracer rounds

trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
Is there a way to make your own?
Can you buy or make whatever is on the tip and dip in your own rounds?

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I believe you can but it is not easy. Many of the surplus ammo places had empty tracer "bodies". There is a small cavity behind the lead for whatever compound is used.

The "stuff" on the tip is paint so you know it is a tracer/whatever and just rubs off.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trc313

Actually it's quite easy to make tracers and incendiaries. AP too!

You need to get a copy of this book by Duncan Long. I believe it may be out of print but a quick scan of the net found several copies available at various prices. Again, THIS book only. There are a few others by long with names that are similar, but this is THE ONE.

Combat Ammunition:
    Everything You Need to Know

You use a road flare to make becoup tracers. That and a little epoxy. Yes, I have done it and it works great.

Good luck!

ADDENDUM; Although it should be obvious, you must be able to load your own ammo to produce these.
  • Options
    trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

You need to get a copy of this book by Duncan Long. I believe it may be out of print but a quick scan of the net found several copies available at various prices. Again, THIS book only. There are a few others by long with names that are similar, but this is THE ONE.

Combat Ammunition:

You use a road flare to make becoup tracers. That and a little epoxy. Yes, I have done it and it works great.

Good luck!

ADDENDUM; Although it should be obvious, you must be able to load your own ammo to produce these.

Would this be it??

f0_7.jpg
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

Combat Ammunition:

Good luck!

Would this be it??

f0_7.jpg

No, that is NOT it. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Ammunition-Everything-Need-Know/dp/0873643461