In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield Trapdoor

PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
Other than an auction, does anyone know a good place where I could pick up a Springfield Trapdoor?

00010529.jpg
"Gunner sabot tank! Identify! UP! Fire! ON THE WAY!!" <<boom>>

"The two loudest sounds in the world are a click when it should've gone bang, and a bang when it should've gone click."
awcountdown_sm.gif

Comments

• Options
    STRIPPER-TIPPERSTRIPPER-TIPPER Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These things are all over the shows here in the outer bay area of CA. What specifically are you looking for? 1873,1884,1888,rifle,carbine??? I have a few myself. You will find alot of 1884s compared to the earlier models.Check your local shows and ask around. I know a dealer who gets a few of these. He sold off a collection he just bought from a guy who had 95 trapdoors. I missed out on some neat examples. Some had original slings,rack markings,etc..Spent the funds on other rifles at the time he had these.Hindsight is always 20/20. I see a few that are really worn ,but I also run across some really nice ones fairly often. I always look for the best bore since I shoot everything I own.NO SAFE QUEENS. Good luck -these are great fun at the range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My sole reason for wanting one is that Grandpa always had one hanging over the fireplace when i was younger. That example is going to my Uncle. I have always admired that rifle, and now that I have fundage, I would love to have one of my own to hang on my wall (and occasionally take to the range) I don't need a perfect example, just one that looks decent, complete, and is functionally safe.

00010529.jpg

"The two loudest sounds in the world are a click when it should've gone bang, and a bang when it should've gone click."
    awcountdown_sm.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would cruise the shows ,or let me know and I can put you in touch with a dealer here who gets a few of these. The main differences are the sights. The rollercoaster type are the earlier 1873-79 models. The flat "Buffington" type is on the later more common 1884-88 models. I still see decent ones with a patina for around $400. A nice one will run up to $900,and a minty one will run up to $3000 depending on year. An original sling is $140 range and a cleaning rod is around $60 for an original-$30 repo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So could one be had for $450-500?

00010529.jpg

awcountdown_sm.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you look around you should find one in that range. It will probably have no blue left ,but it should have a good bore and stock. Then again you may "luck" into a nicer one. $700 opens you up to alot more.
  • Options
    MuffinmanMuffinman Member Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by STRIPPER-TIPPER
    If you look around you should find one in that range. It will probably have no blue left ,but it should have a good bore and stock. Then again you may "luck" into a nicer one. $700 opens you up to alot more.

It's the ones with all the blue rubbed off that make the story. Never reblue one of these, it would be a crime in my book. My friend has a SKS that all the blueing is gone and he will never sell it. i have tried to buy it for years and I get the same answer "Not For Sale"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    saw a nice early model today at the gun show for $550, they are out there.