In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Pope Reviews Gibson movie

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I like this review, works for me-

quote:"It is, as it was"

And thats all he said.

gun.gif
"Those who live by the sword get shot
by those who don't." [:D]
[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pappa has spoken.
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My kind of review. Short, sweet, to the point

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    A lot better then most reviewers, short and sweet. No time wasted or personal opions spouted![:D]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about you guy's but every talk show I have listend to
    have beaten it up.

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    When Mel Gibson made "Braveheart" and the gays got mad at him, he just told them to "F*** off"
    He is used to taking risk with movies and getting bad press for it.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Don't know about you guy's but every talk show I have listend to
    have beaten it up.

Whaddya listent public radio or something? I have heard nothing but rave reviews about this movie. Cant wait to see it.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, I think they are now saying that this quote

quote:
    "It is, as it was"

was only attributed to the Pope. The policy from the Vatican is that the Pope does not comment on films.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nuff said!

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Funny, historically ,the current Pope has had a history that was notible for his liberal,artistic views....

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    Funny, historically ,the current Pope has had a history that was notible for his liberal,artistic views....

Do you care to give an example?? I don't know if there is one liberal bone in his body.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    edited November -1
    Jesus Christ Superstar... but I was in Catholic(Polish Catholic) school then and I rember the tryin gto sell him off to us as this huge libertaterian...

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
    edited November -1
    Jesus Christ Superstar??? What do you mean?? What does the pope have to do with it??

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    edited November -1
    When the flickcame out, there was all sorts of turmult over the premise of the movie, (e.g. Mary Magdaline vs. the other diciples), not to mention the very name "JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR"..

edited November -1
    What does that have to do with the Pope??

Frog
    edited November -1
    Because the Pope SANCTIONED it. I remember people being upset by the prospects of a non-Catholic making a film/play about the last days of Jesus that didn't comply with what they felt was a fitting representation of the last days of Jesus Christ. But,then the Pope,who has a background in the theater in Poland, said that it was good, and all of a sudden,tickets were scarce.
    Personally, I find it an intersting artistic representation.

edited November -1
    I don't know whether or not he "sanctioned" it. I don't see how you draw him being liberal from it however.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I didn't mean to draw Pope John Paul II as "liberal" with a broad stroke, I only meant liberal in his theatric ideas.

edited November -1
    I apologize as well. I got a little carried away myself.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    edited November -1
    No offense taken! One Pole to another...depending on what year our family came over,...

edited November -1
    1986 for me.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    edited November -1
    Dang,...I was told that my grandfather emigrated from Lithuania, but the official papers say'Prussia/Poland'. Filed with the clerk of Skuykill County, PA circa 1918. Know anything about documenation of this circa?

• BabalooieBabalooie Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poland literally means, "Land of the plains." Plains are virtually impossible to defend. Yes, there are mountains in Poland, but it was still a revolving door, when it comes to being taken over by armies. Parts of Poland were taken over by conquering countries, particularly Russia and the German states. When my grandfather came over, his documentation stated he was Russian. Also, if a person was young, say 16 years old, they gave themselves a boost at Ellis Island, and became 18, 19 or 20. This kept them from being hassled.

By the way, I was informed that the Pope does not review movies or plays. His statement about Mel Gibson's movie could be considered a rave review. As far as Jesus Christ Superstar goes, if you were told this by a nun, she may have been blowing smoke up your privates. Back in the 70's there were 'people of the cloth' with their own agendas, teaching their form of rogue Catholicism. Remember when your parents said, "Don't believe everything your told." ? They were right.

Best wishes,

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
    - Friedrich Nietsche
    "Only the strong survive."
    - Jerry Butler
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    Just a side note......

You know how everyone always has a 'pollock' joke ready? How The entire nationality get's the short end? Know where it came from?

in wwII, the polish clavary charged hitler's panzers on horse back with lances. To me, this is not an act of stupidity, this is an act of supreme love for one's country. something to think about.

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxmike_2

You know how everyone always has a 'pollock' joke ready? How The entire nationality get's the short end? Know where it came from?

in wwII, the polish clavary charged hitler's panzers on horse back with lances. To me, this is not an act of stupidity, this is an act of supreme love for one's country. something to think about.

Polak jokes are a thing of the early 20th century when swarms of Polish immigrants came to the states. The jokes became quite popular but are generally limited to the US. You won't hear them anywhere else in the world.

There was a Polish cavalry in WW2, but a charge against Panthers is a myth. I've read where the myth started but it slips my mind now. Horses were a better means of transportation over the terrain than vehicles, especially since many tanks were destroyed in the Blitzkrieg. Other armies, particularly Russian but German as well used horses for transportation in WW2. Lance charges are a thing of the 16th-17th century.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It takes a pole to hold the flag up.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • KroozerKroozer Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Secular differences are for the minds of men. . .not Christ. He was born and died a Jew. All religions that grew from that vine should be Jewish with a twist of salvation for the reasons he taught. I was raised a Catholic and coverted to Lutheran WELS. The difference I see, and feel is that we are all still just people, and nothing will ever change the way we must deal with being human - we are so set on distinguishing ourselves from others. . .but that in itself is a sin according to the man and son of GOD who died for our sins.

If he was alive today and began to teach, we would crucify our LORD all over again. I grew up with a very firm picture of the last days of Christ. Thew realism I expect to find in this movie, I also expect to be dejevu. A repeat of that suffering all the days of our sinfull lives.

Risk nothing, and stand still. You'll be one of the first to be eaten.