In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Barrel Length: Semi-autos vs. Revolvers

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Advertised barrel length in semi-auto handguns includes the chamber while barrel lengths in revolvers, of course, do not. Disregarding other variables, would I be reasonable in expecting a revolver with a 4 inch barrel to perform better than a semi-auto of the same caliber with a 4 inch barrel since the practical barrel length of the semi-auto is reduced by the length of the cartidge?

Comments

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I would say that it depends on the caliber to a degree. I think that a bullet that has a lot of powder behind it will benefit from a longer barrel in which to burn the powder more fully.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of my revolvers give me a better group than my semi autos. Although my son has a ruger mkII that groups very well. For accuracy I would buy a revolver![:p]

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes you will lose velocity in a revolver due to the tightness of the fit between the cylinder & the forcing cone.Some guns are pretty loosely fitted where an auto has an enclosed chamber & barrel................[8D]
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd put my Kimber 10mm up against a revolver with the same length barrel! [8D]

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by temblor
    Sometimes you will lose velocity in a revolver due to the tightness of the fit between the cylinder & the forcing cone.Some guns are pretty loosely fitted where an auto has an enclosed chamber & barrel................[8D]

He said it like I would.

"meet me in Margaritaville"