In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.380 for concealed carry

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Currently I carry a Beretta tomcat in .32 caliber. I am leaning in the direction of trading this in and getting something else-thinking about a .380. Gun shop has a couple of colt ponies and mustangs, and a smith and wesson, which is a lot cheaper, both financially and the way it looks.
Is a 380 better thanthe .32? What other rounds should I consider. Keep in mind, I really like small guns when it comes to carry. I used to carry A kel tec .40, and that was too big for comfort. I realize there are better calibers if I move up in size, but the reality is, if the gun isnt small, I wind up not carrying at all.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
-Jimmy the cheese man

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get any Colt but preferably the Pony.
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    salo
    I carry all the time and the one that I am never without is the kal-tec 380 six shot light as a feather and of the four that I have seen and fired they will hit a four to six inch circle at 20 feet with no problem. I have shot mine at 15 yards 45 feet and can hit center mass with all six rounds. I'm not the best shot in the world but this small light auto is worth a look. would not leave home without it.
  • capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo - I carry a .380 Mauser HsC wherever I go. I agree with you that there are far more effective calibers but like you, I need a pistol that is easily concealed and that I can carry anytime of year.
    There are a number of self-defense rounds available for the .380 - so that's no problem. I also have a Browning .380 but I prefer the Mauser over it.
    I practice a lot with the Mauser and at 50 feet I can hit exactly what I aim at. Needless to say, if it weren't for their size - I'd prefer to carry my Colt 45acp or S&W 10mm.
    Regards
    John

My Prayer: Dear Lord, Please let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.........
  • prangleprangle Member Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kel-Tec p3at 380
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    That new Kel-Tec .380 (same size as the P-32) will be my next .380. Other than that, I like the Colt Mustang I have. The Bersa is not bad, but it's bigger than the small Colt. The S&W is a good gun for the money. I also have two AMT backup's, one in .40 S&W and one in .45 ACP. I like the bigger calibers better. I also just bought a Kel-Tec P-40, but for a gun that size, I would rather have the S&W Chiefs Special, and I'll buy one in the next few months.

Did I make all of that clear as mud?

Just some ideas.[;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have a Tomcat that I carry 24-7. I also am in a situation where concealability is a HUGE concern. If you are looking for a .380, I would recommend a PPK/s-1 in 380. Supposedly, the new PPK is now being made, and I'd take that over the PPK/s-1, due to the shorter grip = lighter & more concealable. My PPK/s-1 is great, accurate, and no problems.

You may also want to check out the Kahr PM9, roughly the same size as ppk/s-1, but lighter and 9mm. Of course, I just bought one, great in the front pocket, and I noticed what appears to be a crack in the polymer frame. Go figure...
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I like my AMT Backup. Not made anymore, but a sweet little gun. The Walther is a fine pistol also.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jgreen
    Supposedly, the new PPK is now being made, and I'd take that over the PPK/s-1, due to the shorter grip = lighter & more concealable.

This is where I run into a problem with the smaller guns-the short grips. So if anything, I want a smaller gun, but a little longer on the grip then sy the tomcat or kel tecs.
    I guess I would want a gun that would except a longer magazine with some type of grip extension. I Found a couple of longer magazines for the Beretta, and I thought that would solve the problem. But the longer magazines would not feed properly.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    A .380 loaded with CorBons is a nasty little concoction. I had a Pony at one time and kept it for the Wifey by the bed. Not real accurate, but you're not target shooting when you defend yourself either.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I use to carry a CZ 380. Like a Walther PP clone , but the slide rode a little higher so it didn't cut my hand. Used ones go for around $250-300. Ten shots and very accurate. Extremely easy to conceal.I think it was called a Model 75.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll throw another vote in for the Kel-tec .380...

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig P232 380[8D]

It must be right, or we wouldn't do it this way!
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A .380????? Just point your finger at them and yell BANG![:D][:D][:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just bought the P11 Keltec 9mm and notice it's the same overall size as the Chief except the Chief is a little fatter in the cylinder.
    Mine is all aluminum incl the cylinder and with Glasers it's lighter.
    The Keltecs will accept magazine extensions that hook under the third finger for a better grip. However,the Chief starts off with a better grip which is improved for concealed carry by a Uncle Mikes Boot grip.
    My Keltec 380 will be picked up in two weeks. It also takes the Bersa or factory mag extension. They are supposed to be somewhat of a brute to fire. I suspect the 380 Keltec may be my carry gun if I can get used to the long DAO trigger for fast shots.
    On a side note, My older,second hand P11 with dead tritium sights is
    going back to the factory for new freebe sights, mechanical updates,
    and a hard chrome plated slide. Gratis except for $20 for the plating.
    Cant beat that lifetime warranty.
  • GhostCatGhostCat Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a little CHEAP Davis Industries .380 or my Makarov.

GhostCat
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    If you're dead set on a .380, get a Walther. I had one, but sold it to buy a Glock 26 in 9mm.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    My PPK/S had some startup problems, but I am comfortable with it now. I just picked up my SP-101 Ruger revolver, 2.25 barrel, bobbed hammer, and I've been wearing it for hours. Hardly feel it!

There was a S&W .380 Special Edition, 2001, 2002, or so. Only one year. Saw a big guy slip it out of the back pocket. Didn't get the model, but it sure looked sweet. I offered to buy, but no answer in three months.

I'm working on getting a PPK (Interarms, Stainless) but now that the Ruger 5-shot is strapped on, the smoother lines are really appealing to me, as opposed to the Walthers.

The Sig P-232? Great gun, a little larger than it could be; if you've a flat gut you could slip it in front no problem. They were just on sale in the CDNN catalogue for $420 delivered ($460 out-the-door in these parts, still cheaper than dealer price).

Mustangs? I'd love to have them, but in THIS state they are overpriced because there are so few.

But we've plenty of AMT 380 Backups. The flame will come-a-shooting along with the charge. I kicking little chunk. I sold mine to an LEO as his backup, and before me, it was LEO for 20 years.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo,
    If you have something that you like (the Beretta), keep and use it. All the paper targets and ballistic geletin in the world pales when you are about to get shot.

No one, especially bad guys, want to get shot. The secret with a small pistol is to wait until you can get it under their chin or in their eye.

This may mean keeping it hidden and playing whipped until the right second to commence firing. No "Halts" or "I've got a gun" are needed or desired.

I carry a 1911A1 .45 when in the shop. When out on the town, my .380 PPk with long pants, or a .22 Beretta in shorts. They ALL will do the job, just as your .32 will when needed.

Now if you just want a new toy, you ought to say that.

Ciao
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    quote:No one, especially bad guys, want to get shot

quote:This may mean keeping it hidden and playing whipped until the right second to commence firing. No "Halts" or "I've got a gun" are needed or desired

Give the man a cigar[:D] He hit the nail on the head.
    I carry a .40 glock in the shop and a baretta 21a .22lr when concealability is of the utmost.
    I just picked up a SW 940-1, a nice little hammerless revolver in 9mm for those times when something in-between is called for[^]

But, to answer your question I would take the Pony over all the others listed in this thread. my boss at the pawnshop carrys one of the Kel-tecs and its a sweet gun and shoots nice but that pony is quicker on target and more importantly quicker on target with the second shot due to the increased weight.

JuJu(just my opnion, others are wrong[:D][;)][:p])
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Salzo, if you want to sell me the Tomcat, I'll entertain a price. My FFL can make it a smooth transaction.
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course we all would prefer to carry a 44mag or 45acp. But cosidering shorts and all.....I would and do go with the Kel-Tec 380. It is LIGHTER than most 22lr. And lets face it (we can all be big shots here and insist on a 45) a 380 is no pee shooter. And lets also face it.....You not looking for an accurate gun at 20-30 yards. Cause if you shoot someone at that distance "you are going to jail". The real concern (I believe) is close range only - 0-5 yards.
    I know I may get some flack from some of my statements.....

"meet me in Margaritaville"