In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Are outside opinions welcome?

ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
In the many threads and posts on this forum, I notice a lot of responses whose content is essentially, "Oh yeah? How would you know? Are YOU a [insert profesion here, typically "veteran", "pilot", etc.]?" On one post I stated that "to the best of my recollection" flying aircraft, while dangerous, was not as dangerous as flying aircraft IN COMBAT.

A response basically asked, as a refutation, "Oh yeah? How many hours have you logged as a fighter pilot?" As if my lack of flying experience somehow disqualified me from making the judgement call that flying a plane in friendly skies was safer (not "safe", mind you, "safer") than flying a plane AND being shot at.

Does it take one to know one? Do we all have to be soldiers to comment on the military or politicians to comment on the government? If it's of a technical nature I can understand... after all, calling an LCD a "plasma screen" is about as wrong as calling an AR-15 a "machine gun."

Am I wrong to comment on military affairs? Foreign affairs? Domestic policy?

I'm not a veteran. Will likely never be. Nor will I likely be a doctor, a politician, or a tax assessor... so should I keep my trap shut about health care, politics, and my money? Or should I let those who "know better" tell me what to think?

Comments

• jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    M. You've got the coolest handle on this site, the sky is blue, and you say anything you damn-well want to say!
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe I am qualified to comment on your question because I am not an ElMuertoMonkey.

Seriously, I read these posts way more then I comment on them and every opinion is interesting to me whether I agree with them or not. So, maybe your thoughts/opinions aren't appreciated by all but will be by some. KEEP EXPRESSING YOUR OPINIONS
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That happens to all of us, look at the hamering I got over the Harley deal! If I don't own one then I am not qualified to comment on them, well I have passed enough of them so I should know whether or not they are slow[:D][;)]

There is one subject where I get defensive sorta in the manner you are describing and that is in my line of work. Much like the anti gunners we get hammered constantly by the anti truck groups who speak of something that they know nothing about. Alot of folks in cars comment on trucks just like an anti gunner comments on an AK47. They see it, but they have no idea what it takes to run one and they don't want bothered with them, hence we get the lane restrictions and split speeds. The anti gunners, they give the gun owners crap like the AWB. So when an anti gunner or someone who knows nothing about gun makes a comment we know is wrong we jump all over them same as I do when someone says trucks need to be in the right lane doing 55MPH, anti gunners and anti truckers can kiss my *!

Did I get off subject again? Oops[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    There are so many 'experts(?)' of so many diverse areas that no one can say anything without ridicule. So what. Say what you want this forum is to express our opinions and not give a rats * what some of the imitation experts say. There will always be some that can do no wrong and some that can do nothing right. I probably fall into the latter category and I don't care.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Unless you have one undergraduate degree and one post graduate degree in the subject at hand, I command you to keep your "opinions" to yourself.

So there.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    deadmonkey - I feel your pain. Check out the 'cop fired' thread. I must admit, the response from the person with leo background is thoughtful, insightful, and very civil, but it contains the same basic line: you're not a cop, you don't understand.

So, as civilians, we should have nothing to say about police policy? People with guns and a badge in our community and we have no input?

Yes, I cringe when I hear something like "civilian review board" or similar things; too many times it's not just civilians but worse yet (bleck!) politicians (gag!) second guessing the actions of a cop in a tough spot, after the fact, with plenty of time to dicker over details. Too often, though, the LEO element thinks the dumb joe citizen should just shut up about police affairs.

Sorry for the mini-hijacking of the thread. Short answer: No, you're not wrong to comment on such things. Free speech rules. If they don't like it, fling monkey poo at them![}:)][:D]

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think there are threads where a reasonable reply does demand first-hand experience of the subject matter. For the remaining 99.99% of the threads, I don't believe it is necessary. After all, it does not take a fighter pilot to know that flying over Texas in 1971, while dangerous, was probably nowhere near as dangerous as flying over North Vietnam that same year; nor does it take a grunt to know that participating in a field exercise at Camp Lejeune, while dangerous, is probably nowhere near as dangerous as assaulting an NVA bunker.

When a poster's credentials are brought into question, often it is a disguised attempt to discredit an opinion by inventing a demand for expertise where none exists (as in the cases you cite above). I would therefore take such ploys, and comments like "I cannot take you seriously", for what they really are: feeble attempts by those who would try to elevate their own opinions simply by discounting yours. But I think you already know this.
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with you all![^] I can't say anything more than what HAS been said.

Be responsible
    Be intelligent
    Be REPUBLICAN
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think most people state whether they're sure of something or not.
    If you say it "matter of factly" and you are wrong then it will slowly discredit you. However, I think it is very common for someone who researches something to know as much or more than those who do it every day.

I've only been in a plane twice in my life, yet I can rattle off useless info and identify most fighter planes made since WWII.

Post away monkeyman, with exception of political posts I enjoy reading your posts. (Don't take that personal, I have all but quit reading policital stuff because it annoys me that people think differently than I do [:D])

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Monkey...in that particular thread you were out of line. You were attempting to minimize President Bush's military performance to fit your own political agenda. Driving a Swift boat is far far easier than flying high performance combat aircraft. With about three hours of instruction any idiot can drive a swift boat competently. Try driving a jet fighter after three hours of instruction and....well you just won't be around to get a fourth hour. Now driving a Swift boat on the rivers of VietNam did add significantly to the pucker factor for operating it. But your casual dismissal of the difference between the two was what got my attention. Driving a Swift boat in combat might actually approach the danger of flying a fighter under non-combat conditions...but it really isn't up to some strap hanger to make those kind of comparisons. You by your own admission are a strap hanger(civilian). From my perspective as a military man I would much rather deal with a two or three minute shoot out on a river than the constant tension of keeping a high performance fighter flying perfectly hour after hour. Now that is just my perspective but it comes from having been in combat and having flown a high performance jet(admittedly not for long). But I believe it is a far more valid opinion than that of one of the "protected".
    So Monkey you can certainly continue your vicious Bush "bashing" on this forum. We have come to expect it from you. But when you make out of hand comments you really do have to expect to be reduced to a "urine stain on the carpet" when you do. Keep your arguments to economics and the economy and you will probably do much better in your attempts to discredit the President. Beach
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I can be as "thin skinned" as the next person on some subjects, I try to not take posts personally unless they are, in fact, an ad hominem attack. Some folks posts I don't even open because they're usually the "SOS". (And I'm sure some don't open mine. CCL*)

Mudge the rhino

*Couldn't Care Less

And yes...for those who were wondering, the correct term is:
    COULDN'T care less.[:D]

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Man, I'm not an expert on anything! My interests are way to varied. Perhaps if I live to be 100 or so I may achieve expert status on a number of subjects just in time for my second childhood where I can be a know it all eighteen year old again. In the meantime I will use this forum to express my OPINIONS based on the information and experiences I've gathered to date. I submit that this the essence of a general discussion forum. The expert forums are there for the accredited experts.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Respect your convictions EMM.
    While we obviously disagree on many political issues,
    so what? We all look at these things from different perspectives.

Compare beach and DWS statements on this thread,
    there's our difference.[;)]
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    All I know about is beer[:p] And Free Beer is the best[:p][:D]
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't really get mean with anyone unless (A) they get mean/abusive with me, or (B) they say scientifically stupid things and keep insisting they're right. And I have enough background in the hard sciences to have at least SOME judgement in that area, though my speciality is in applied math.

Therefore, I say unto thee: If thy logic is sound, I will not castigate thee for not being an EXPERT. And for those of us who would, I would remind thee: Argument by Authority is as unsound an approach to take in a debate as Argumentem Ad Hominem, Tu Quoque, Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc, Excluded Middle, Complex Question, or any other recognized fallacy.
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    "Be not angry that you cannot make others as you
    wish them to be,
    since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be."
    Thomas Kempis
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    It is true that if you have never been in harms way and never been under direct fire, you don't have a clue as to what goes through a soldiers mind. If you've never had to fight in a gorilla war or a civil war, you don't know how to separate the enemy from a civilian.

Even at that, we vets disagree on some things, but for someone who has never faced the situation to criticize those who are in it, or to attempt to speak for them or about them is a fool. He has no real understanding of what goes on in a war other than what the media tells him. Those are the issues that rub a man who has been there the wrong way.

Opinions to the reasons we are at war and is it just are an open book. Opinions on how it is being conducted should be left to those who know. Bottom line is, there are some issues that people should not interject on when they don't really know what they are talking about. I include some politicians in that statement.

You have to understand that war is not what anyone who hasn't been in it thinks. There are parts of it that you can never talk about, yet someone who has never walked in your shoes will, and tell you where you were wrong. That really burns most of us who were there.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    EMM,

I know which thread you're referring to, and I was thinking along the same line as you. Funny how if'n you don't agree with someone, they do not challenge your assertions, they challenge you credentials. I say tell 'em to "PACK SAND" and then drive on with your postings.

I enjoy reading your posts, even if I do not agree with some/many/all [}:)][;)] of your posts, I respect your opinion, and appreciate the time and effort you take to contribute an alternate view of many issues here on the site.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometime assertions AND credentials are worthless. That's the only time you should get slammed.

Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I do occasionally get irritated when someone with no military or combat experience passes judgement on a persons action/inaction in combat.

It comes down to credibility. If you have no first hand experience of what you are opining on, you have much less credibility than someone who has first hand experience.

My $.02

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.gun.gif
    edited November -1
    beach: I think you've missed the point, and I think deliberately so. EMM's comment was not to make comparison between flying a jet fighter and piloting a river boat; it was between flying a jet fighter over Texas and flying a jet fighter over North Vietnam. Certainly this difference can be noted without direct experience of either; even the most protected civilian understands that in 1971, and all other things being equal, the risks of flying over Amarillo were not as great as flying over Hanoi. Similarly, for you to assert a preference for being shot at on a river boat over having to manage a fighter plane hour after hour is not based on opinion any more valid than EMM's, for by admission you have no experience of either; by virtue of your being a military man alone does not add weight or credence to your opinion in this case.
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    quote:Am I wrong to comment on military affairs? Foreign affairs? Domestic policy?

EMM, you and I have "discussed" many topics here on GB, some I agreed with and some I didnt but I'll be dammned if I said you didnt have the right to voice your views. Thats what it is, your views, I dont have to agree or even comment on them if I dont want.

Just because someone is not and "expert" on a topic does not mean that they cannot expouse a view on that subject. If someone has a different view or data to contradict what you posted then let them post it as a rebuttal.

I voice my views on a myriad of subjects, some I have considerable experience with and others I dont really know squat about, I can and will share those thoughts and views as I see fit and so should you.

To use an old saying and I may not have this entirely correct:

"I may not agree with what you have to say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Having said that, dont expect us to take long showers together till the wee hours of the morning.

JuJu( who is an opinionated jerk, comments welcome)
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I knew there was a reason I dug this forum so much.

Thank you all for the insightful, articulate, and sometimes humorous reponses.

However, as some of you pointed out, it's easy to get upset when someone who doesn't know the intimate details of a particular topic makes light of them. It's easy to forget that for some people, these topics are deeply personal and must be tread upon lightly by those who admittedly have no firsthand experience. Just as I can take umbrage at a seemingly knee-jerk response, so can others take offense at my supposedly flippant remarks.

I will continue to speak my mind. I have no intention of silencing myself. But I do hope to watch my words and how I say them more carefully in the future. You folks deserve better and I'm certainly capable of more than I have sometimes been guilty of.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    EMM -- Common sense combined with one's own personal experience trumps "Oh yeah" any day. Don't worry about it. And combat flying IS more dangerous than commercial. I've flown commercial many times and never had a bogie on my tail [8D].

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
    edited November -1
    DWS....I actully said I had limited experience flying high performance jets. I have about 2.6 hours in a TA-4, which admittedly is not an F-102, but I did go .96 Mach in that aircraft, which admittedly is not all that fast, but it did have all of my attention. I made numerous combat patrols in Mogadishu, Somalia between Green Beach and the Port facility and the US Embassey compound and came under small arms fire on patrol and took morter fire in our compound at the airport. I believe flying that TA-4 required far more of me than simply reacting properly to incoming fire which presumably is all that Lt Kerry did. I rarely comment or expound on topics to which I am ignorant such as LEO oriented topics and I defer entirely to the LEOs on this board but I do feel completely qualified to comment of the Dead Simeon's comments about flying and combat. I know that you too have more than a little combat time(I don't know if you've ever flown a jet) and you are right I did choose deliberately to confuscate the waters of the Simeon's comments. He was off-base plain and simple. In his own world of the Jennings pistol he is far more the expert than I and I would never contradict him on his choice of handguns....I've never fired a Jennings so I wouldn't compare it to my 1911. It's obviously the right weapon for him(Now that I think about it it was you Monkey that bought the Jennings wasn't it? If not I truly apolgise!!!)

Rather than soundbites of "who did what to whom" I'd rather see some focus on the issues of the campaign rather than getting in the gutter and splashing dung all around.... When the Monkey talks about the issues he can make a lot of people nervous. When he made comments about Kerry or Bush's qualifications he only sounded rediculous. And Monkey I do appreciate your last addition to the thread. All the best to everyone, Beach.

P.S. I did make my patrols in Mogadishu in a LARC which certainly qualifies as a combat river craft even if we were driving it down the street.....it sure confused the local Somali's when they saw the propellor and rudder under the hull. Beach
    edited November -1
    beach: It is interesting that even those experiences we do have in common should result in a difference of opinion. My experience of firefights in Vietnam was not remotely close to simply reacting properly to incoming fire. I found that most often training and discipline paled before chance; that the belief that one can minimize risk or regain control simply by reacting properly is a myth. Of course, there were times when these things did obtain, but even this was as much the result of good fortune as sound planning and effective return fire.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    I will continue to speak my mind. I have no intention of silencing myself. But I do hope to watch my words and how I say them more carefully in the future. You folks deserve better and I'm certainly capable of more than I have sometimes been guilty of.

Now that's the old Monkey we all know and love.[;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
    edited November -1
    DWS...You had a much more formidable foe in VietNam with the Viet Cong than I had with the irregulars on the streets of Mogadishu. They seemed to vaporize when confronted with concentrated return fire and squad flanking movements. I'm sure your enemy possessed far more discipline and fervor than mine did. VietNam for me was a relatively benign experience off DaNang Harbor dropping the odd grenade in the water to prevent sappers from getting to our ship. I'd wager though, and I think you inferred, that it was your training and immediate reaction to the threat that really got you through your engagements rather than luck or chance. Beach
  • bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Are outside opinions welcome?

Gentlemen:

I may live in sunny Tucson, AZ and not some cold, wet, or snowy clime. However, my father, God rest his soul, taught me well enough to understand that you don't stand in the danged doorway, TRYING TO HEAT THE GREAT OUTDOORS!

COME inside, SHUT the door behind you, TAKE off your coat/wraps, MAKE yourself comfortable in the chair with a drink (warm or cold, your choice) and THEN you may espouse your opinions! Sheesh!

Now....what were you saying, EMM?

Big Al
    edited November -1
    beach: The point I was attempting to make is that surviving the initial engagement to have any reaction is not a function of training or discipline; it is a crap shoot. And that difference and the constant knowledge of it is what separates combat from the complexities and dangers of any peacetime simulation (including piloting fighter aircraft). The inability to manage chance is a cruel lesson learned early, and it is as much this as anything that turns young men into old ones in a few months time--if lucky enough to have those months in the first place.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:so should I keep my trap shut
    Like that would really happen.

Just kidding.
    Someone had to say it.
    Couldn't help myself.

Keep postin away.
    There are some here who agree with you more than disagree. [;)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally like to get as many different opinions to a topic as possible.On any open discussion forum you will have a few who know it all and will not like you if your opinion is not like theirs or they cant change your view to their way of thinking.You cant let it get to you.Its just one of the things you have to deal with in any open discussion.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nobody has ever disagreed with anything I have said. I am always right.[}:)]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    No matter how much an individual may know on a subject, there is always, ALWAYS stuff that they don't know. I'm leery of any self-proclaimed authorities on any subject. To have won the respect of other's because of one's knowledge and/or experience is one thing, to proclaim yourself an expert because of some over-inflated sense of importance is another....
    Just my opinion....

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To expand on rcrxs old lady's post, I think it was Will Rogers that said:

"We are all ignorant, just on different subjects".

(gotta love the fellow Okie) [:)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Wasn't it Mark Twain who said, "An 'expert' is anybody from out of town"...Hate to misquote Samuel Clemens, but it is one of my favorite quotes...

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Now why don't you stop the liberal spin on this and tell the truth. I was the one who wrote the responses that you quote and you've conveniently misquoted yourself in an attempt to play the victim. The two points to which you refer were actually written this way (these are not direct quotes, only from memory, because I don't have the gumption to find the original thread):

You: As I recollect, the military wasn't turning anybody down for service to Vietnam.

Me: And we should take YOUR recollection to the bank?

You: "Flying is dangerous but not THAT dangerous..." (direct quote)

Me: "How many hours of flying time do YOU have in a combat aircraft?" (direct quote)

If you disagree I WILL find the thread.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know, from the released Bush documents, how many flight hours he actually has--not including his training time?

Most of you know he was dropped from flight status in the early 70's (71 or 72), so how much "dangerous" flying did he face? [}:)]

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • Annie-OAnnie-O Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you post them...
    We will read them...[;)]

cg1.gif
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    How many military pilots died while flying aircraft over US stateside territory during the period 1967-1973?

How many USN personnel were killed while on river patrol in VN during the same period 1967-1973?