In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Still got a job? WATCH YOUR BACK!

FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
In the last week, I have known 2 people who got fired from their jobs over EXTREMELY minor rules infractions that a year ago would've incurred only a slap on the wrist.
Many companies that haven't yet had layoffs, are considering them. And anyone they can let go w/o having to pay unemployment is a savings to them.
In one case, one guy was fired over a tiny mistake. And a previously laid off employee, who will have to be trained to do the job, brought back to replace him.
In all about the bottom line. Fird = no unemployment. inexperienced, laid off guy brought back = one less on unemployment.
It's getting rough out there.

Comments

• Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you are right! this will show who the * kissers really are in a company[:X][:0][:X][:0]
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    If you get fired, you still get unemployment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jwb267
    you are right! this will show who the * kissers really are in a company[:X][:0][:X][:0]

* kissin got nothin to do w/it.
    We had a driver get fired this week who was an * kizzer.
    During a recent ice weather incident, his truck slid on ice during a delivery and very lightly touched a building. No physical damage other than scuff marks left by the rubber bumper. He thought it insignificant and didn't report it. Customer spotted it and reported it. Repair was sending someone out w/a paint brush for 5 minutes of touchup. Driver FIRED.
    This guy was a * kisser of the 1st degree. But also IMO the hardest worker on the crew. While nearly all other drivers have wives that work, this guy was the sole income for his family. And was putting his wife thru Bible College. He vollenteered for any/all extra work and long routes that other drivers shyed away from.
    His "infraction" (failing to report an "accident") was one anyone might have done. How many times have you accidently bumped something w/your car, but seeing no or neglible damage, just blew it off. He believed the damage was so slight as to be insignificant. And I'm sure he would've happily paid the $20. at max repair costs.
    But decision was made at the home corporate office in another state where no one knew him.
    It was all about money saved by reducing the work force w/o having to pay unemployment. With absolutely 0 thought about how it effected the little guy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate

After how long? 12 weeks isn't it?
  • Options
    team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    survived a reduction in labor this week..we lost people with 34 years of service.....keep on fat filling the wallets of banks O Bama! while the real people that need help suffer
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    My understanding is that if you quit your job you get no unemployment, nada never.

More and more companies that lay people off are saying the person was fired when they apply for unemployment insurance to cut down on the companies unemployment insurance payments.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat

After how long? 12 weeks isn't it?

The confusion lies in that most employers give employees the chance to "quit" when they are being fired. If you are in this situation, don't sign anything, just walk out. I know several people fired for cause, including my BIL (habitual tardiness) and all got unemployment. I don't recall of there was an extra waiting period. I don't think so. And even if there was, it would be retro-active to the date you filed.

Also aglore - you can get unemployment if you quit as well. There are a lot of situations where people do (not all). You just need to be persistent and know how to work the system.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No worries, Obama will take care of them! [}:)]
  • Options
    WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He broke the major driver's rule "report all accidents no matter how slight it might be", what he committed was "hit and run" and he should be terminated.
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1

And sometimes it will piss you off !
    One builder I work for fired his bookkeeper after it was found that she had embezzeled $150 K .
    Had her arrested,she confessed, Da would not press charges on "white collar" crime.
    She walks --straight to unemployment office ![xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WinM70
    He broke the major driver's rule "report all accidents no matter how slight it might be", what he committed was "hit and run" and he should be terminated.

You are correct. He broke a rule that is clear stated in every drivers handbook.
    But the point is that w/so neglible an incident, he would likely have received little more than a scolding a year ago. But now he got FIRED.
    The company had a layoff at another area terminal. And canning him to bring back someone else was simply an economic way to reduce the company's unemployment benefit burden.
    This guy knew EVERY route we run. The new man doesn't know any f them. And will take about a year to learn them. IF he is capable.
    We have some drivers who can barely manage to learn one or two routes. From a performance veiwpoint, they made an extremely poor decision. But that wasn't the criteria.
    Again the point. If you are still working, watch your back! Dot your I's and cross your T's. Because the bean counting headhunters are active.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,401 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    In the last week, I have known 2 people who got fired from their jobs over EXTREMELY minor rules infractions that a year ago would've incurred only a slap on the wrist.
    Many companies that haven't yet had layoffs, are considering them. And anyone they can let go w/o having to pay unemployment is a savings to them.
    In one case, one guy was fired over a tiny mistake. And a previously laid off employee, who will have to be trained to do the job, brought back to replace him.
    In all about the bottom line. Fird = no unemployment. inexperienced, laid off guy brought back = one less on unemployment.
    Exactly why there is unions.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357
    Exactly why there is unions.
    I wouldn't sell my soul to a union, no matter how desperate I was.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anyone who can fire a high paying worker to replace them with someone who is willing to do the same job cheaper, will.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, "terminated"=no unimployment for me. I am fighting it.

Lance