In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 for a former medic

ecw1969ecw1969 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
Before the Army issued 9mm's, I qualified with a Colt 45 in the mid 1980's. I'm trying to find the same type of Colt. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Most of the ones I see were manufacured during WW1 or WWII. Pretty sure mine was a later model. Specifically, I want to purchace the same type with the same U.S. Army markings.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    1945 was the last year 1911A1's were purchased by the U. S. Government. You had a WWI or WWII made pistol.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ecw1969
    Before the Army issued 9mm's, I qualified with a Colt 45 in the mid 1980's. I'm trying to find the same type of Colt. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Most of the ones I see were manufacured during WW1 or WWII. Pretty sure mine was a later model. Specifically, I want to purchace the same type with the same U.S. Army markings.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, ecw: givette here(combat corpsman-also had a .45 issued).

Any .45 issued by the US government was made in 1945 or earlier. The US Government stopped buying .45's (M1911's) at the end of WWII.

That said, and if you only want "the look", (the US property stamp, parkerizing, etc.), you have a lot of options. As low as $700-$800 for "the look", where you, as a non-collector, won't mind having a recently re-finished gun that you would be proud to keep in your posession.

Above mentioned firearms are available on this site over in the auction side. Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    quote:Originally posted by ecw1969

Thanks in advance.

Hi, ecw: givette here(combat corpsman-also had a .45 issued).

Any .45 issued by the US government was made in 1945 or earlier. The US Government stopped buying .45's (M1911's) at the end of WWII.

That said, and if you only want "the look", (the US property stamp, parkerizing, etc.), you have a lot of options. As low as $700-$800 for "the look", where you, as a non-collector, won't mind having a recently re-finished gun that you would be proud to keep in your posession.

Above mentioned firearms are available on this site over in the auction side. Best, Joe

Thanks, Joe. I'm not a collector - and wouldn't mind having a recently re-finihsed gun with the features that I admired so much. Any mfrs or sellers on this site that your'd recommend?
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    ecw: givette again. Here's a list of those I can remember that made .45 autos.

Colt. Ithaca. Remington-Rand. Maybe Union Switch and Signal made WWII M1911's also. (You're looking for a M1911A1). Those were some of the makers of M1911's. Check over on the auction side..and don't mind if the gun has been refinished. It will suit your needs.

One more thing..if you see advertised "arsenal re-work", or "arsenal re-finished", that is a plus, because the re-tuning of the gun was done at a US arsenal. Best, Joe
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Since you're not a collector, Let's invoke the KISS system. Look for any GI .45 with an arched mainspring housing. That's the little bulge on the back of the grip that fits into the heel of your hand.

All 1911's (WWI) were converted in 1926 or so to the 1911A1 configuration which is what you carried. What you don't want is a FLAT mainspring housing. These weren't converted because they probably were not in the system.

Colt even came out with a model a few years ago that duplicated the WWII configuration with the rolled markings. I forget what they called it, but they're available.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, everyone. You've given me a lot of great info. Now I'm not surprised that the pistol I was using in the 80's rattled like stones in a tin can - it was abused by generations of soldiers before me for more than 50 years(although I still loved it- much more than the 92F that they issued to me in the late 80's)! Given that I don't really want to spend 2k on a .45, I think I'll check out the Springfield GI .45.

Thanks, again, for all of the good info!

Eric
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in the Navy in the early 70's if you lost your 45 it cost you $24.50 as a replacement fee. They hadn't bought any in about 30 years and that was what the final purchase price the government paid for them new in 1945.

Lance