In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is the most generous gift you have received?

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Sunday evening I received a call from my mom. Her x ( who she has been divorced for 5 years ) wants to give me a car. He no longer has his license and cannot drive. He has one son in Texas. They are not getting along and his dad has removed him from his will. He is asking me to come get his car. He purchased the 1996 Mustang Cobra new and it only has 12k miles or less on it. I do not want to offend him and say no if it is what he wants to do. What is the most generous gift you have received?

Comments

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Birth. and that is as safe as life gets. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ill take a free mustang cobra any day of the week.

Nicest gift I ever received, the government actually gave me back some of my own money, which they were holding onto for some odd reason.. in the form of a tax return. [:D][}:)]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    My parents gave my wife (fiance at the time) a very generous chunk of money for a downpayment on our first home. Our wedding was comming up and we were paying for it ourselves. It got our mortgage to where we were really comfortable with our payment. Hopefully someday I will be able to repay them in some way.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    My little ones.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ability to walk after the accident.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    BDJ said it all. I too would say my 3 kids!

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    The greatest gift I was ever given was my mother giving birth to me and raising me the right way and supporting me in whatever I did. I will never be able to repay her.

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aside from my family I would have to say the gift from the gunbroker gang last year after my truck burnt that kept us from falling into a pit that would have cost us our house and alot fooutr belongings. It is one thing to go without work for a week or two but when your business goes up in smoke with no warning the results can be costly. I owe so much to many of you for helping us. I consider the gift from many of you a second chance that I wouldn't have got if it wasnt for you guys, I am forever gratefull.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My two boys, a second chance at life,and a new Browning 525 field. I am still paying for the first two on the installment plan.[;)]
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    I love my kids too, but I think this question was about things of monetary value.

I once received a $10G gift from my grandmother.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As most have said, my children. Monetary wise,years ago my late uncle gave my brother and I (since we were the only living children of my dads at the time) 265 acres of mostly wooded land in So. Illinois. We split up 2 tracks, my brother built a house on his part. Mine is nuttin but huntin land[:D]

Only the strong survive!!!!!
  • BufflerBuffler Member Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Wife!! The Bestest!!
    BE SAFE!! Buffler
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    My family[:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • firechieffirechief Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine would have to be the donations from the great folk right here on GB.

First ones in, Last ones out.
    Firechief
  • Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of good answers so far. My greatest gift would have to be the knowledge that was shared freely, and the values instilled in me by my grandfather and dad when I was younger. Both of which I'm working on passing on to my son.

Brian

My grandfather once told me,"It's not what a man possesses that determines the importance and quality of his life, but rather what possesses the man.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I'm still waiting for someone to give me money or something of monetary value. I'm not holding my breath.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Mom and dad Gave me Life[^]

use_deer.jpg
  • hallchinaladyhallchinalady Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best gift????
    My kids and then for them to move out ON THEIR OWN!!!! But I do love them....money wise...DIAMONDS...(a girls best friend).

I learned at a young age; Don't say "I can't"; say "I'll try!"
    loader_raising_shovel_md_clr.gif?SSImageQuality=Full
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pure heart and that made me a changed man. Next would be my wife. All else is will rust and turn to dust.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    96, he is the guy I emailed you about the laws in Indiana months ago. The car he is giving me is not the car he totaled.
  • skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mom and Dad gave me several priceless gifts: They taught me the value and joy of working, to belive in God and the importance of looking deeper than a persons skin color. As a child, I thought we were poor. Little did I know how 'wealthy' we were. [^]
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the man means things. For me it would have to be The Ruger 41 Mag from Allen.
  • Instant KarmaInstant Karma Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Number one,a healthy son.And after years of drug and alcohol abuse,that was in doubt.Number two,my staying clean and sober and thereby staying alive this long.And for awhile,that was in serious doubt also.Number three,an understanding of my Higher Power to help me deal with numbers one and two.[8)]

"Instant karma gonna get you,gonna knock you right in the head,better get yourself together,pretty soon you're gonna be dead" John Lennon
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    The most generous gift I have ever received. Was when some spent time with me. For no reason other than my company.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So many to choose from . . . almost all intangibles . . . love of family (nicluding my dogs) . . . kindness of friends and strangers . . . certainly the privilege of being an American . . . being relatively free of pain again . . . . of material things - those of deep sentimental value to others, regardless of their dollar value.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    FREEDOM. Not as much as my dad had but, I will do my level best to hold onto what I do have and pass it on to my children because it is now my responsibility to them. And without it, life ain't worth livin'.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:What is the most generous gift you have received?

A kidney from my sister almost 8 yrs ago.
  • Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    God's mercy and love of an un-deserving sinner
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Someone beat me to it. Thr gift of life.

Also, my mother-in-law, while not wealthy by ANY standards, forgave some college loans and gave Julie her car when we got married.

The greatest gift you might give could be wisdon, and time. Sharing it.
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A fantastic wife (and best friend) that puts up with my stupid as s. Even after almost 20 years.

"meet me in Margaritaville"
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    select-fire,
    I'd accept it. He must think a lot of you. I do think it a very generous gift. He will get more from you taking it than you will from getting it. Trust me.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Chris36mChris36m Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to be a spoil sport, um but TAKE THE CAR.! it will make him feel better..and you..the best gift is giving..be part of that!
    ps.
    My kids are great! teenagers.yikes! wonder if anyone needs
    a few sassy kids. haha My youngest bagged his 1st buck this season
    perfect shot...right through the hams! ..hey.. hes only 13!

happy shooting