In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sent my youngest for a job interview with a friend

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,693 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in General Discussion
My youngest has been working with the same company for nearly 2 years. Every once in a while he puts in applications places, but hasn't really TRIED to get a different job. He had hoped to get on where his father works and put an on line application in there a few months ago. He is only 20 and they have such a large number apply when they do hire its hard to get on.

I'd love for him to go back to school for something....but he HATED school, so we aren't having any luck getting him to think about that. Anyway.....I was talking to my brother and he said that someone we knew had just gone to an agency looking for two workers. I got off the phone with him and called this person asking if my son might be right for one of his positions.

He said he would love to give him a chance. He has had a hard time finding people without warrants, can pass a drug test, aren't lazy and can handle heat/physical work. I feel his pain....it seems like more and more people out there think they have some "right" to pick out what they do and do not want to do and they also think they can have a REALLY STUPID past history and people shouldn't think of them as morons.

He tells me to have my son come talk to him tomorrow (this morning) at 8am. If things work out he will be on a jobsite in Oklahoma next week. I'm SO EXCITED for my son.....this is when the crap hits the fan.

I get an earful from my son about why I didn't talk to him first....then he goes bonkers letting me know that he didn't want to work with his ex-girlfriends family. He dated this little girl when he was 15. It has been FIVE YEARS and they were kids. I go back and forth with him about what matters when you are an adult and how silly he sounds. His dad calls and I put him on the phone to get Larry to side with me.....he comes back to me about why I didn't talk to our son first. I just can't win this one.

So, I'm ticked off....the day ends and I didn't know if he would or wouldn't go to this meeting. I get up this morning to find him ready to go and asking for the address to put in his phone. (Tiny happy dance going on inside.) I made him some eggs and he is on his way.

I swear....sometimes I feel like I am swimming up a waterfall.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You blew it! Keep your nose out especially without talking to him about it.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....some folks don't want help....especially from a
    Mom"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know!!! I was just so excited when I heard about the job opening I ran with it.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job Kasey. Behind every successful man there is a women pushing him. [;)]
    I hope it's a great job and he thanks you for the help getting it in 6 months.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This the same one that left you with no gas?

I feel your pain. Just remember "No good deed goes unpunished".

At least he went to the interview and did not let you down that way. He is 20 and he needs to cut the ties with his family and get out on his own. I know you are trying to help him out but I can kind of understand where he is coming from.

I think I would have had him call the guy for the job after you had talked to him.

Maybe do it like this:

"I talked to guy who needs a worker on xyz job. I told him about you, why don't you give him a call and set up and interview."

That way you make him feel like he is doing more for himself and it puts him more in control.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah....I should have let him call.

It was so fast....and I was so excited. At that very moment I was so happy to hear the news and the idea of him getting hired on with this company made me feel like a kid running down the stairs on Christmas morning.

Its not like he will be making $30 an hour to eat grapes....its a labor type job, but he will learn all kinds of skills that will later lead to better opportunities. Plus, this family has been our friend for a long long time. I'm sure they will treat my son like one of their own while working away from home.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is this the same son that shot a hole through house?

I recommend not inviting him to join this forum. We'd give crap for the rest of his life here. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He is not a fan of playing around on the internet....he hasn't checked his facebook page in 3 years. The boy works, fishes, shoots, watches YouTube videos and eats....I can't think of another thing to add to that list. He did mow the grass yesterday....so I guess you can add chores to the list. (Oh....and destroys phones....less of that happening since he buys them himself now.)
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He probably wanted to go in the first place, but he didn't want to let you know that you've done a good thing. You have spoiled that kid, and it would be a good thing to get him out of the house and into the real world, I'm sure he's a good kid he just needs to spread his own wings now and learn what it is to be an adult on your own. That will unspoil him faster than anything
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,371 ******
    edited November -1
    Kasey, I don't know if anyone has ever told you this, but you're an incredibly good writer. You've got great skills. I bet you could get published in a heart beat.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the stories you do.[:)]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Kasey, I don't know if anyone has ever told you this, but you're an incredibly good writer. You've got great skills. I bet you could get published in a heart beat.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the stories you do.[:)]

Thank you!

I feel like I annoy some people....but I am here, by myself, all day listing guns. So, I continue to share. [:D]
  • Options
    Dyer_MakerDyer_Maker Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not post much on here but I am on here daily. I also enjoy your stories!!!
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel bad for dude. I can see the interview where he gets bagged on "I see your mommy called about the job for you" [:D]. If he were me and had any lick of sense he'd be at a strip club checking out the morning shift's "talent". Chicks looking more like "Patty The Daytime Hooker" beats seeing the ex, too.

I'd get ready for "hey mom I need to talk" talk where he'll say he got the girl preggers [:D].
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the job?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    What's the job?

The main thing they do is build and install perimeter security and vehicle barriers for military installations and such. Those things that pop up out of the ground and destroy anything that tries to drive in without permission. They have other contracts and some plant maintenance type things that they handle, but there is a lot of traveling with the security group work.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lol,,my youngest son is 25,,,I have found him his last 2 jobs,,,sometime you just gotta give them a push
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    What's the job?

The main thing they do is build and install perimeter security and vehicle barriers for military installations and such. Those things that pop up out of the ground and destroy anything that tries to drive in without permission. They have other contracts and some plant maintenance type things that they handle, but there is a lot of traveling with the security group work.
    Sounds like a great gig!
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He came home with a pretty nice smile on his face today. He went in thinking he was just going to keep me happy.....but finally realized it was a GREAT opportunity.

You should have seen us both. I saw his Jeep pull up and I stepped out on the back porch. He was walking up with this BIG smile on his face....I was standing there smiling a big ol' toothy grin myself. He made it to the porch and I said "you look happy"....he says "I can't help but smile looking at you." (I know he MEANT he was just smiling because I was smiling, but I jumped on the opportunity to point out that he couldn't help but smile when he looked at me.)

He didn't say much, but he did ask me for his social security number and said he was going back in the morning.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The old saying...

If its to be Its up to me.

Push but dont pull.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20 years old and doesn't know his own SS #????

Really?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DirtyDawg
    20 years old and doesn't know his own SS #????

Really?

No....its not something most people know until they have had to use it on forms of some kind. Since he has been a lifeguard during the summers and had the same job since he graduated high school its not something he as written down more than a couple times. The only reason I know mine is because I was in the Navy. I do not know Larry's....how or why they expect wives to know a husband's ss# off the top of her head I will never understand, but I've been asked for his before and thought the person asking was a loon for thinking I knew it.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the job?

That's a real good company that has cornered the market! I buy parts from them to keep our barriers in operation and the parts aren't cheap. Don't recall their name right now but I could look them up tomorrow.

He should do good there. Might need to get a passport.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, you posted yesterday that he would know tomorrow whether you got the job or not. Well, did he to get the job?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, he had to be there at 7:30 this morning.

I'm sure he will have a steep learning curve at first. I'm going to TRY to stay out of his business as much as possible, but I'm fighting the urge buy him a pile of carhart work clothes and proper shoes.

I think the mom gene has a pretty strong hold on me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He came home with a pretty nice smile on his face today. He went in thinking he was just going to keep me happy.....but finally realized it was a GREAT opportunity.

You should have seen us both. I saw his Jeep pull up and I stepped out on the back porch. He was walking up with this BIG smile on his face....I was standing there smiling a big ol' toothy grin myself. He made it to the porch and I said "you look happy"....he says "I can't help but smile looking at you." (I know he MEANT he was just smiling because I was smiling, but I jumped on the opportunity to point out that he couldn't help but smile when he looked at me.)

He didn't say much, but he did ask me for his social security number and said he was going back in the morning.
    Awesome result! Happy ending to a great story!!! Which, ironically is just a new beginning.[:D]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good opportunity to learn some skills and see a lot of the world (without having to polish boots and belt buckles or doing lots of marching....) (nothing wrong with that either...)
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, he had to be there at 7:30 this morning.

I'm sure he will have a steep learning curve at first. I'm going to TRY to stay out of his business as much as possible, but I'm fighting the urge buy him a pile of carhart work clothes and proper shoes.

I think the mom gene has a pretty strong hold on me.

What's wrong with going out and buying him some new clothes so he looks good for his new job?
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A while back I was hiring a "college new hire" engineer.
    Kid from a big time university new degree in hand- sharp suit, walking into the conference room and says:

"How long is this interview going to last? My dad is in the parking lot and we're going to lunch after this".

Answer- Not long. We're almost done here.
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also didn't want to go to college.
    My Dad hired me to work for him.
    After a summer of hard manual labor I knew I was not going to do cement work for a living.
    Still didn't want to go to collage so I joined the Navy.
    They sent me to school for the first 2 years I was in.[:)]
    Maybe your son will figure it out after working in the hot sun doing hard labor.
    He may have been mad but he might have a job so you win.[:)]