In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If you had a 16 yr old girl...what kind of car?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by clays
    [img][/img]DCP_0003.jpg
    My wife thought this was a nice present & it gets 33mpg.

With special bonus of NO BACK SEAT!
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang, beat me to the punch on the back seat.

My co-worker and her hubby just bought a 10-year-old Honda Civic and it still has a TON of life left in it. They love it.

I'd go with a 1997 Honda Civic with a manual transmission.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    trucks dont meet the same crash test levels as cars and are top heavy.. stay with a car.
    next, why are YOU buying her a car?
    teach her to borrow and take care of yours.
    if you have an old car, let her drive that one.
    insurance is cheaper on old cars.
    or, let her work for 1st car and let her buy her own.
    and yes....let her buy her OWN insurance too.
    welcome her to life the right way, dad.
    be responsible so she will take care of her property later on.[;)]

I think this is the best advice by far. I have an 18 year old boy that we got an old 97 Intrdid for $3000.00 it had a 150K miles on it and worked just fine for 3 more years of high school. The school parking lots are more exciting than a good NASCAR race...........If your family vehicle(s) is not an option then DON'T spend too much and stick with a car. Independence for a teenager is good, with alot of restrictions from you. VERY SHORT LEASH. AND NO CELL PHONE USE WHILE DRIVING.
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    I let her buy any car she wants after all she earned the money to buy it.... Right?????
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I have been thinking over the whole.....vehicle....idea lately. She will not be mobile until December of next year so I am not even looking at buying anything now. I keep pondering the OLD TRUCK idea. I like the idea of the solid steel body between her and whatever she may plow into (praying now it never happens.) I don't like the idea of buying gas for a guzzler...and whatever we do end up getting will be driven a lot for certain.

When my daughter turns 16 she will have no use for a car...I'm locking her in the basement long before then.[;)][}:)]
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1/2 ton 2 wheel drive pickup. 6 cylinder engine.
  • Options
    hisbigbootygirlhisbigbootygirl Member Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toyota carrola
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honda or Toyota. Best crash test ratings, most reliable, least repairs, lower insurence premiums, higher MPG.
  • Options
    SG_NinerSG_Niner Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best damd thing you can buy!Dont chinces on the car,your girl is going to be hind the wheel!
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    VW 2 door hatch back something very very small. just in case he/she does something stupid. there wont be 6-8 kids in the car that you and your insurance company will be responsible for.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    80's Volvo station wagon, I heard they use those at wrecking yards to compact other cars.

..+1 on the Volvo. For an old car, it's a safe car. Also, what Don said about the Saturn. The insurance rates are good, and Cathy's '03 ION has been pretty much trouble free.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Locust: You say your daughter is 16. Has she completed school? If not, does the bus go by your home? If she is still in school and the bus goes by then let her ride the bus and save both her and your money for when she needs it for college.

I have two daughters and it did not hurt them to NOT have a vehicle available at their beck and call while in school. Same thing held true for my entire family (my father drove the bus so he knew where we were and what we were doing and he even drove the bus when my daughters went to school).

I know my reply will not be a popular one but it has worked for my family for a very long time and has proven to be a safe and sound practice. RJSnow
  • Options
    OJMayoOJMayo Member Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have an F-150 for sale for cheap.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ronald...I wish the bus came by!!! I am an hour away from town....and that is taking the freeway. If you get in a car and want to go anywhere at all....it will be at least 20 to 30 minutes before you even get to the gas station, dollar general....then another 15 to 20 minutes before you get to busier parts of town. With the way both Larry and I work there is NO WAY to share a car.

I work in a very bad part of town, plus the freeway is a BEAR right before you get to me....so she will NOT be allowed to drive on the back streets OR the freeway to get to me...by herself....EVER. My husband works in a steel mill. For now it is 2 off 3 on...then switches to 3 off and 2 on.....from 7pm to 7am. I don't think there is a way for her to get any type of job sharing his car either.

I really wish I could figure out a way for her to earn enough money to buy a car.....selling on line is about the only thing I have seen that would be "do-able" but we have to get the wireless internet set back up so she could be on line. NOBODY is EVER allowed to touch this computer....for any reason....EVER EVER EVER.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last time I had a 16 yo girl was in an '81 Plymouth Reliant.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kodiakk
    Dependable is a Honda Civic and Accord and they are great MPG. Toyota Coralla's are also great on gas and maintenence record.

I would have to agree! These Japanese cars tend be be tough as nails and have great maintenance records. Check the consumer reports history on used cars to get the ones that have good repair records.
  • Options
    Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, Get her a conversion van! [:D]
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    YABBA DABBA DOOO!

flinstonescareBay.jpg
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got my son a 79 F250 6 cyl.
    It was built like a tank and probably saved his life.
    AC