In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Told my bank "Goodbye"

bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
After many decades with the same bank and being an outstanding customer, became tired of all the fees, and joined a credit union. A breath of fresh air compared to a bank, as I will save a lot of money in lower credit card rates, and monthly checking account fees, replacement checks, etc.

Almost anyone is eligible to join a credit union, so worth taking a look at one.

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we cancelled our bank ticket two years ago when wife went to do a $50K rollover and the teller was rude and condescending( letters to heads of customer relations in KC and Denver got NO response}....we picked a bank on the way to our lake home and in the door first time we were treated great and she moved accounts and I also closed out mine with first bank...all any bank has to offer now is good service...none pay any decent interest rate
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Credit Unions are the way to go. I haven't had money in a "bank" in 15 years.
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I managed to convince Mrs. Viktor to leave the bank she was doing business with after the Wisconsin Concealed Carry Law went into effect, and her bank posted their offices as "no carry" zones.

We've been at the same Credit Union since 2010. I'm not pleased with their business hours, but they're overall not too bad of an organization.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Credit Unions are excellent...

Better interest rates and service with a smile.[:)]
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Credit Union 40 years. Served a year on the Board.
    Lots of benefits and you don't feel like a beggar when you go there like most banks make you feel.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    My primary checking account is with my mother's old credit union. Mom doesn't even use them any more but I like them because they are a LOT easier to work with than my banks.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two lines of credit with banks.....try that with a credit union....I do use credit unions for financing vehicles...1.9 % for 60 monthes...[:D]
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by bartman45
    After many decades with the same bank and being an outstanding customer, became tired of all the fees, and joined a credit union. A breath of fresh air compared to a bank, as I will save a lot of money in lower credit card rates, and monthly checking account fees, replacement checks, etc.

Almost anyone is eligible to join a credit union, so worth taking a look at one.

Was it Wells Fargo Bank. [?]

They are horrible & zero customer service IMO.

They are about to lose one very huge account in this state and soon too.

Nope, Fifth Third, "the only bank you'll ever need" slogan folks.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most Credit Unions are better than most banks. There are exceptions on both ends. USAA Federal Savings Bank is a bank but it operates more like a credit union than some credit unions.

I don't care how friendly or grouchy a teller is as long as the numbers come out right, but I did quit a credit union because they wouldn't let me use their Men's Room. I drove a hundred and eighty miles one way to do some business with the credit union. I didn't make a pit stop on the way out so when I got there I was of the opinion I needed to use the Men's Room. The teller and the manager both said "no". When I got back from the Navy Exchange I closed all accounts and went down the street to deposit it in my Navy Federal Credit Union accounts.

I keep a small checking and savings account in a local bank in case I need to cash a check and want the cash today.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe they didn't make it clear it was a pay toilet