In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thoughts of moving...

JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
Any of you ever take that plunge, and move to a different state where you knew no one, had no job waiting, but just wanted to get the heck out of wherever you are? How'd that work out for you?

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always had a job waiting. The not knowing anyone was kind of nice.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Done it a couple times [:)]
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, but that is what I want to do. I can't wait to get out of Illinois. I'm open as to where we might move too. Not too cold, some sort of city nearby. , not too desolate.
    I love Billings, Montana but that's just a little too rural/country for my Bride.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    Did that 5 years ago,wife and i moved to a different part of the state( TX. ) that is like moving 3 or 4 states elsewhere[:D].
    We did not know anyone around for at least 1 hour drive in any direction[^],no jobs .

Would not trade that experience for the world[;)],we survived and doing great. I was 53 at the time. Don't think i would do it now/again,BUT i aint scared[8D]to do it again
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    Try OREGON I'm in Newberg about 20 30 miles from Portland..Very Nice place, no big malls in town but only 8-10 mile from a couple of them..
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could do it wife couldnt. But Without a job lined up ehh probably not, unless I had the capital to dink with for a few months or was really confident in my job skills.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have lived in Wa, Or, Ca, Fl (x2), MD, and TX (X2).

If you are looking for a change I say plan what you can and then pull the trigger.
  • Options
    NEIAPredatorNEIAPredator Member Posts: 1,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444
    I could do it wife couldnt. But Without a job lined up ehh probably not, unless I had the capital to dink with for a few months or was really confident in my job skills.

+1
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's nice to move to a place where the ladies don't know ya.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only done it twice without a job waiting, but I've moved more times than I want to recount. I don't think I'd do it with totally empty pockets.

In your case, having a profession is probably better than having a job. If you don't find the job you'd like to have, just hang out your shingle, change your name to A. A. Abraham and put an ad in the yellow pages. If you're not rich yet, I predict you will be. [:)]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We made more friends moving to the Ozarks of MO than we in the Chicago suburbs.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I might be when 2014 gun laws kicks in, in California. Where I am 15 miles to a good hospital, 2 miles to the beach, 5 minuets to Walmart, Target or Best Buy and walking distance to a large grociery chain. Also 20 minuets to a public range on the back side of Laguna Seca. It's not bad but if the particulars of the new CA gun laws goes in to effect I have to split.

moonshine - That sounds pretty good but close to Portland? The gun shows at the Rose Center (I thing that's the name) are great. My plans were always Oregon along the coast but the way I hear things it might as well be California.

I got a bro out in KPN in WA (near Home, WA) which kind a replicates my local here in CA.

Then again it all hinges on selling the condo as is 'cos I don't wanna deal with it. But the way it's going where I'm not winning and Moonbeam not vetoing it's dump and run situation.

Anyone looking for their very own "Kato" in Oregon or Washington State [:D]?
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in spring 2007 I decided to leave Illinois after 57 years and move closer to my son in Montana, since he wasn't coming back. I had begun my machinist pension draw so I wasn't totally without income, altho I did not have a job lined up. knocked in 3 machine shop doors with resume' in hand, was hired before I even got back to the house I was moving into. don't regret it a bit. i'm 30 miles from my son, close enough to visit whenever, far enough apart he doesn't feel like he needs to babysit me.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    My folks moved about 30 times in 10 years, following my Dad around in the Navy.
    We've lived on Guam, in Taiwan, Japan, stayed at Marshall Islands for 3 months, lived in Micronesia (Palau) for a while, stayed in Virginia, Mass., Maine, Kali, Italy, Morocco, a week on Sardinia, then Spain/Portugal, and finally wound back up in the stinkin' desert where I was born.
    I jumped a freighter in the late 70s with my Able Bodied Seaman papers and wound up in Germany, running the lights for a West German punk rocker; Nina Hagen, then had to go to the Embassy for a ride back to the States.
    There was a problem with ID, so I got "expelled".

Never had to look for a job, I have skills in construction, design/engineering, welding, mechanickin', fabrication in plastic and metal, culinary arts, bartending, publishing, and an indomitable entrepreneurial bent.
    Before Veetnam was over; I took a year off to hitch around the country to see exactly what I would be fighting for when I got drafted.
    They stopped the draft a year before I would have become eligible.

In short; it may take a few weeks to decide where you wanna go to escape the grabbers in Illinois, but once you get there; it's worth the trip.
    BTW-nM is full.[;)]