In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another perk for the privileged

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
Anyone see wht's wrong with this?

Updated: Jan 27, 2011 5:01 PM PST
Posted by Amy Kelch - email

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (WAVE) - A bill that would extend worker's compensation benefits to surviving spouses of police officers killed in the line of duty has passed its first hurdle towards being enacted. An Indiana Senate committee cleared the bill, which supporters said is a small way to respect the sacrifice that police families make.

Compensation is currently limited to about nine and a half years.The bill would extend those benefits until the surviving spouse remarries or dies.

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    It may not seem "fair," but consider just how few people are actually affected by this bill.

BTW, "fair" is a place where you eat cotton candy, ride rides, and step in sheep poop.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't matter how many people are affected, it's preferential treatment and not EQUAL for all people. Shouldn't apply to a select few. Everyone gets to choose the job they do, some come with higher risk, shouldn't lead to special treatment.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    It may not seem "fair," but consider just how few people are actually affected by this bill.

BTW, "fair" is a place where you eat cotton candy, ride rides, and step in sheep poop.

A police officer is no more important to their family than any other worker is to their family. All jobs, and LE is a job, are important to our society. LE is no more important than any other profession. LE is statistically safer than many other professions

Workman's compensation is paid by every employer in the state. It is part of employees compensation packages. It is figured in the cost of doing business and in the cost of the employee's position The cost of this is spread through the whole system. It is a perk to a select few government employees doled out for simple political reasons. Politicians paying homage and using the public dollar to do it.

The size of the cost is not even relevant. Just as the road to hell is paved with good intentions so is the road to many other places.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just another entitlement expansion that will be used when November rolls around. "Senator XYZ hates police officers." and so on.

9 years of worker's comp isn't enough? Really? How much worker's comp does the widow of an AEP electrician get when her husband is killed in an electrical accident? Aren't electricians important, too? Electricians' families make sacrifices, too. Last year when we lost power, we saw electricians coming from 5 hours away to help turn the power back on. Some stayed here for a week or more.

Aren't police officers allowed to plan for the inevitable by buying life insurance like the rest of us?
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

A police officer is no more important to their family than any other worker is to their family. All jobs, and LE is a job, are important to our society. LE is no more important than any other profession. LE is statistically safer than many other professions
    Workman's compensation is paid by every employer in the state. It is part of employees compensation packages. It is figured in the cost of doing business and in the cost of the employee's position The cost of this is spread through the whole system. It is a perk to a select few government employees doled out for simple political reasons. Politicians paying homage and using the public dollar to do it.

The size of the cost is not even relevant. Just as the road to hell is paved with good intentions so is the road to many other places.

You are absolutely right. Being a former police officer, I never understood the attitude of cops I worked with who complained that people don't understand how difficult and dangerous the job is, and the crazy hours worked. They weren't drafted into the job, they could quit and find another profession. I'm sure the dead coal miner or construction workers widow would like the same consideration.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:it's preferential treatment and not EQUAL for all people

Nothing, but NOTHING on this planet is "equal for all people," but that does sound very much like a catchphrase of the Soetero administration.

Veterans of the military and their families receive benefits that aren't available to the non-veteran electrician, plumber, etc. Is that "fair?" Is that "equal?" When son Travis was in Iraq, he had $400G of life insurance coverage that not only cost him very little each month, but also would pay off for a death due to "an act of war." I can't get such a policy at any price.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't military wives with husbands KIA get the same benny's?

The thing I don't get is. They know the risks yet they still go in. So why should the tax payers keep on paying for their desisions the "spouse" made. Also do the gays get that money?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:it's preferential treatment and not EQUAL for all people

Nothing, but NOTHING on this planet is "equal for all people," but that does sound very much like a catchphrase of the Soetero administration.

Veterans of the military and their families receive benefits that aren't available to the non-veteran electrician, plumber, etc. Is that "fair?" Is that "equal?" When son Travis was in Iraq, he had $400G of life insurance coverage that not only cost him very little each month, but also would pay off for a death due to "an act of war." I can't get such a policy at any price.

So he paid for it, right?

Is it unfair that active duty military can get a life insurance policy that covers what they do for a living? Should they go without?
    I wonder if Pa Redneck or any of the other civilian contractors have been able to get life insurance, or if you're the only one who can't get that kind of policy. If it's only you, you should check to see if your being discriminated against. What companies did you talk to about getting a life insurance policy that covers acts of war?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Don't military wives with husbands KIA get the same benny's?

The thing I don't get is. They know the risks yet they still go in. So why should the tax payers keep on paying for their desisions the "spouse" made. Also do the gays get that money?

No, they get a one time "death benefit" for expenses incurred in relation to the death of the service member (family travel, food, housing, etc) and whatever life insurance the service member has elected to buy. There is no ongoing income from the federal gov't. Some states may have that sort of thing, but I've never heard of it.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Help me understand this.

I thought "Social Security Survivors benefits" paid survivors when a covered worker died, whether at work or anywhere else. This continues for life if the survivor doesn't remarry.

I thought "workers comp" paid a benefit when a worker was injured on the job & was unable to work.

So, isn't there duplication here? Should workers comp be paid in addition to SS survivors benefits? Does that mean that your widow gets to double dip if you are killed at work, as opposed to dying from some disease?

If we are talking about "fair", what about the families of those killed in the WTC attack? Congress approved a special benefit to every family, based on the "value" of their loved one. The exact payout amounts are so secret even Wikileaks can't find them, but they were all in the multi-million $ range, even for the wealthy folks among them. 8 people from my agency were killed in the Murrah Building attack, & their families got the minimum. Is that fair?

Neal
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Teats and hogs. Some people want or see an entitlement to something, not personally earned, from uncle sugar.

We wonder why the nation is as it is?
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about "I want to do this job, but it's risky. However, there are benefits to help my family if something bad happens."
    People that say "don't take the job-- blah blah blah" should stop and think a little more. They seem to be the same people that are more likely to be negative towards law enforcement. There may be good people that without some extra benefit would not take the job. Why do you do what you do? Money, benefits, freedom?
    With this kind of thinking why don't you call McDonald's next time you need a policeman or fireman?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    How about "I want to do this job, but it's risky. However, there are benefits to help my family if something bad happens."
    People that say "don't take the job-- blah blah blah" should stop and think a little more. They seem to be the same people that are more likely to be negative towards law enforcement. There may be good people that without some extra benefit would not take the job. Why do you do what you do? Money, benefits, freedom?
    With this kind of thinking why don't you call McDonald's next time you need a policeman or fireman?
    Nothing to do with the police entitlement mentality. It is real and it is growing.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302
    No, they get a one time "death benefit" for expenses incurred in relation to the death of the service member (family travel, food, housing, etc) and whatever life insurance the service member has elected to buy. There is no ongoing income from the federal gov't. Some states may have that sort of thing, but I've never heard of it.
    Even the "death benefit" you describe isn't really a death benefit. It's the same expenses which would be paid if the service member had permanent change of station orders or was discharged.

If a service member dies on active duty with twenty years or more active service, the spouse receives the same benefits she or he would have gotten if the member had retired and selected the maximum Survivor Benefit Program. In other words they are not penalized for failing to retire.

I've heard the new life insurance program is administered by the Prudential and they are in the habit of ripping off survivors. After many complaints, the Government forced Prudential to inform survivors they are getting ripped off, but they continue to rip them off.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

Wow Scout. You are a insightful and bright fella. [:)]

See how this matter only highlights the "thin blue line"?

"I am a LE officer, so therefor I am MORE special than everyone else! What a F-in JOKE......[xx(]
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    that's not fair[:D][:X][:D]quote:Originally posted by dano
    There are perks in every profession. It's a fact of life.

Life isn't always fair or just. That's another fact of life.

Some of you are a bunch of whiners.

And yet, another fact of life. [:X]