In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Social Security Question Slight Update

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
For those of you on here that are getting checks how long from the time you filled a claim to the time that your application was approved or received your first check ???

The reason I ask is that when I retired, the pension board told me it now only takes about 30 days for your SS application to go through.

I filled on Nov. 22nd. and I've heard nothing other then the fact that on Nov.26th my application was being processed in Chicago.
Got this email a few minutes ago.

quote:
THANK YOU FOR USING www.socialsecurity.gov TO FILE FOR SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS

We received your claim for retirement benefits and we processed it. You will receive an award letter, which will officially inform you of the amount and when you will receive your first and subsequent checks.

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I filed, I had to do so three months prior to turning the minimum age in order not to miss out on a payment.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When is your birthday?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't heard that 30 day figure, but, when you consider how little work is done in government offices between Thanksgiving & New Years, I would be surprised.

Did you apply online or in person? Do you have any documents to submit to your local office? If so, they could further delay things.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    When is your birthday?

I turned 63 in September.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I haven't heard that 30 day figure, but, when you consider how little work is done in government offices between Thanksgiving & New Years, I would be surprised.

Did you apply online or in person? Do you have any documents to submit to your local office? If so, they could further delay things.

Neal

I applied on line and a week later they contacted me saying the application was already being processed in Chicago.
  • Options
    milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless I'm mistaken, your first check will be for a full month benefits plus moneys owed from the time your claim was received.

With the holidays, they are likely running behind.

If they have all the stuff they require including your bank routing number, your check will deposited into your account the same day each month.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by miles

Unless I'm mistaken, your first check will be for a full month benefits plus moneys owed from the time your claim was received.

With the holidays, they are likely running behind.

If they have all the stuff they require including your bank routing number, your check will deposited into your account the same day each month.

They asked me what month I wanted to start receiving benefits and December was on the list so that is what I checked off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

I was working and at full retirement age when I applied. IIRC the rest of that month went past plus one more full month before the first payment was made.

But that is a few years ago. [;)]

That is ABOUT where I am right now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    30-60 days is the usual processing time.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    When is your birthday?

I turned 63 in September.

You don't look 63
  • Options
    edited November -1

This has the correct information. http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10077.pdf

Page 4 ....... The payment made & received in one month is actually for the previous month. Yea, weird but it's the government.
    [xx(]

That is strange. Every paycheck I've ever received has been for days that haven't even happened yet [:)]
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    When I filed, I had to do so three months prior to turning the minimum age in order not to miss out on a payment.

Same here.

I guess they're holding up checks these days in order to pay for Obama's Hawaiian family vacation.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I filed 3 months before my birthday (April)and I
    got my first check IIRC in May ,1 month after my
    birthday. They will assign you a day of the month
    to receive your check. I was born April 3rd and
    I receive my check on the 2nd weds of every month.
    My wife 's B'day is 24th of the month.She gets a check
    the 4th weds of every month.
    We both elected to file for our 62nd b'day
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I applied in September, but decided not to start until the end of January-official retirement date- January 28th. my 1st check will be the end of February.....I think[:D]
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Did you guys ever think we'd
    be discussing this so soon.
    Hell ,yesterday I was 25.
  • Options
    pistoljimpistoljim Member Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

I was working and at full retirement age when I applied. IIRC the rest of that month went past plus one more full month before the first payment was made.

But that is a few years ago. [;)]

That is ABOUT where I am right now.

This has the correct information. http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10077.pdf

Page 4 ....... The payment made & received in one month is actually for the previous month. Yea, weird but it's the government.
    [xx(]

This is correct. They back pay you to make sure you did not die during the month.My mother died on the 30th of Nov. 2003. Her check
    was deposited into her acct. Dec. 3rd. I got a letter from them stating that since she died before Dec.1st. I had to send the money back.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pistoljim
    I got a letter from them stating that since she died before Dec.1st. I had to send the money back.

You should have told them that's it not your check and if they want it they need to get in touch with her.