In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I need tires

legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
You guys got any tips on a good site to buy from or bad sites to avoid?
The tires needed are 285/35ZR19.

Both rear tires are showing threads on the inside. It's in spots, not all the way around. Looks like something was gouging when I hit a bump, but there's no ate up spots in the tire well.

Didn't someone on this forum have the same problem?

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a fairly High performance Car with 35series tires and 19 inch rims . I would long and hard at TIRE Rack. They have list of installers where you live. I got mine delivered next day. Been dealing with them on High End Tires For over 30 Years

EDITThe last set I put on my M3 are Michelin Pilot Super Sport Best tire I have ever had for mileage and wet or dry traction and handling
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try discount tire/discount tire direct.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Sounds like a fairly High performance Car with 35series tires and 19 inch rims . I would long and hard at TIRE Rack. They have list of installers where you live. I got mine delivered next day. Been dealing with them on High End Tires For over 30 Years

They are going on our BMW M5.

So far tire rack looks the best.
    I found the same tires I have now on sale for $150 each.
    The other brands run $200 to $500 each. Kinda worried about ordering the same brand, I don't know what caused the problem, cheap tires or a car issue.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some times I can buy cheaper going to a Goodyear Company owned store and haggling...
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Discount Tire Direct usually has great prices. They do some double-rebate deals from time-to-time that a person can really cash in on.

Jon
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    Discount Tire Direct usually has great prices. They do some double-rebate deals from time-to-time that a person can really cash in on.

Jon

+1

slap on some 33" BFG Mud Terrains [:p]
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walley World and free tire rotation and if you have trouble on the road WW is everywhere
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Tire Rack is always my go to.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as performance tires:

Pirelli PZero (I've had these in the past, excellent)
    Continental ExtremeContact (running these currently, crazy good)
    Bridgstone Potenza
    Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Tirerack or Discount tire

If you have a discount tire nearby, you save money on shipping and get free rotations/tire maintenance. They're a great place to do business with.

I would not put cheap tires on that car. You can afford the car, you can afford to put good rubber under it. It will only be as good as the rubber. You don't want to unleash 500HP cheap tires.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a local installer who can mount, balance, repair, & rotate your tires, it doesn't matter where you buy them.

But, please, don't go cheap on tires for a high performance car! Get a set of high quality speed rated tires, like Perry Shooter. The best tires are made in a radially segmented mold, not a pancake mold like Goodyear, Firestone, Uniroyal, etc use. Yes, you will end up spending $200-300/tire, but you need that safety & performance.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less." ---- Neal
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    I have bought tires and wheels from Discount tires Direct several times . Very satisfied with them. Here is their link to your tire size.
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sortBy=prca&ar=35&fqs=true&rd=19&sw=false&cs=285
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,437 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I know everybody on here bangs the Tire Rack drum, but once you add in shipping, and mounting, and NO road hazard warranty, I have never seen any bargins there. I have always done better locally.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Sounds like a similar tire to what we have on the Audi. We've got to get tires too. What's the speed rating?

I see 'Z' in the size you listed, but 'Z' isn't really a rating any more.

Ours are 'Y' rated (186+ mph).

Actually, I just went and looked; ours are actually 255/40R19 (99Y) so I guess they're much lower profile.

Man, these tires ain't cheap either! They run anywhere from $250-310 per tire! [:0]

They are rated 99Y also.
    The car WAS factory limited to 150mph, but that was removed.
    Now it can be set in the nav computer.
    I'll never try to get close to this, but I think the top is 207mph tested.

20140729_203549_zps9knjfbb9.jpg
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Tire Rack

Ditto!^^^^^^^^. Sounds like you need a performance tire, I have had good luck with Michelin's Pilots and Bridgestone Potenza's but I recently put a set of Khumo's on my Honda and like them a lot...but they tend to sing at road speed. Good luck!
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    I know everybody on here bangs the Tire Rack drum, but once you add in shipping, and mounting, and NO road hazard warranty, I have never seen any bargins there. I have always done better locally.

I have never saw any advantage to Tire Rack either.

Like you said. Add the cost of shipping, hauling the tire down to the local dealer to pay to have them mounted, balanced and then pay X amount to get rid of the old ones does not add up to any savings in my book.

Not when I can get 90% of the tires cheaper at a local dealer and have them mounted, balanced and the old ones taking away for free.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i predict 2.5 pages[8D]
  • Options
    sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, can't help you. Last time I retired was in 2000. Probably all changed by now.[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter

I have never saw any advantage to Tire Rack either.

Like you said. Add the cost of shipping, hauling the tire down to the local dealer to pay to have them mounted, balanced and then pay X amount to get rid of the old ones does not add up to any savings in my book.

Not when I can get 90% of the tires cheaper at a local dealer and have them mounted, balanced and the old ones taking away for free.

Exactly why I recommended Discount Tire.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son uses tire rack to buy tires for his Civic SI . but has a friend who has the means to mount and balance them .
    '
    we just bought new tires for my wifes Element $576.00 after all the little detail cost like mounting balancing tire stems and tax it was over 700.00 we did get a 60 rebate from Goodyear ( this was at sears but they had the best price in the area )
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    Try discount tire/discount tire direct.

That's where we get them.
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Tire Rack

Ditto!^^^^^^^^. Sounds like you need a performance tire, I have had good luck with Michelin's Pilots and Bridgestone Potenza's but I recently put a set of Khumo's on my Honda and like them a lot...but they tend to sing at road speed. Good luck!
    +1... Michelin pilots... Was our go to tire on the 350z...
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    BTW

All new cars come with factory second tires or at least use to.

Use to call them "blems"

I had a friend who worked in the accounting department of a Plymouth plant in Belvedere, IL. He said that Chrysler's cost for tires that were installed on new cars were about 9% of the tire's retail prices. And that the actual manufactured cost of a new car was about 20% of retail. Maybe that's why, when a dealer offers cars at 'X dollars over invoice', they can show a person 10 different invoices for the same car, LOL.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    BTW

All new cars come with factory second tires or at least use to.

Use to call them "blems"

I'm having a very hard time believing that.