In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Saving Private Ryan.

84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
Gonna make me Cry now.

God Bless our Veterans who gave all.

If you've never seen it, you should.

Comments

• Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    On now. Watching the beginning, landing on the beach scene.

Anyone thinking War is glamorous should watch this movie.

Utterly terrifying.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seeing it once is enough.
    I like war movies, most are good one time.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just watched it again, along with several episodes of band of Brothers. Watching Where Eagles Dare now.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The opening sequence on Omaha Beach was probably the most gripping ever filmed. After that, the film got began to lose direction and became something like a squad of guys on a scavenger hunt in a war zone.

I'll ask our veterans: When the Captain (Tom Hank's) orders an assault on a machinegun position, is his order open for discussion by the squad? I could picture the Top Sergeant taking the Captain aside and giving an opinion, but the privates second guessing the Captain...to his face? Would that ever happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fByRLOM8WQw
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    The opening sequence on Omaha Beach was probably the most gripping ever filmed. After that, the film got began to lose direction and became something like a squad of guys on a scavenger hunt in a war zone.

I'll ask our veterans: When the Captain (Tom Hank's) orders an assault on a machinegun position, is his order open for discussion by the squad? I could picture the Top Sergeant taking the Captain aside and giving an opinion, but the privates second guessing the Captain...to his face? Would that ever happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fByRLOM8WQw

It was a different service than nowadays.

Those were citizen soldiers. Capt. Miller was a schoolteacher. The private worked in a department store. Neither of them identified themselves as career soldiers

And the Salty NCO got involved and threatened to shoot him for insubordination. Personally, I thought the interaction rang true.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....the problem with any war movie, is its a movie...nothing like the real experience.....no music, no cameras to tell you where the enemy is...just fear...