In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dewalt DW708 miter saw question.

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
I'm trying to cut a 20 degree miter. I've always cut more common angles where there is a factory detent that locks the table. I can't figure out how to lock the table otherwise. Any help appreciated.
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On my makita you can unscrew and then tighten the knob you use to spin the saw. That locks the table.

Did you look in the manual? This has to be a common question. 21 pages, gotta be in there somewhere.

pdfstream.manualsonline.com/0/0166da6f-f7fd-4b4b-b7dc-3de4c37cf91f.pdf
  • Options
    merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln
    On my makita you can unscrew and then tighten the knob you use to spin the saw. That locks the table.

Did you look in the manual? This has to be a common question. 21 pages, gotta be in there somewhere.

pdfstream.manualsonline.com/0/0166da6f-f7fd-4b4b-b7dc-3de4c37cf91f.pdf

My DeWalt saw is the same. Just loosen the knob, move it where you want it, and tighten the knob.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. As it turns out this model just needs to push the black lever down. I thought that was the answer but when I tried it the table seemed to lock. When I released the lever the table would turn. I just didn't push hard enough it seems. I don't like to force things but need to change that plan. Thanks again folks for trying to help. I don't have an owners manual because I inherited this saw. Maybe I should see if I can download one.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can get a manual from here.

https://servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/Detail?isId=true&productNumber=DW708&selectedType=3419#

however this saw comes in type 1, 3, 4 or 5. you have to select the type you have, the page will refresh, and then you get the correct .PDF when you click on it.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Second thought would be to lock the saw at 22.5 degrees (where there IS a detent) and then just handsaw off the 2.5 degrees (which is only about a kerf thickness on one side at that width).

edit...of course you'd want to mark the angle with a rafter square first.

He probably wants 22.5 Degrees. 20 is kind of uncommon.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

He probably wants 22.5 Degrees. 20 is kind of uncommon.

I think 20 is common. I checked my protractor and it is on there. Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link to get the manual. It's a sliding miter saw. The table doesn't lock with a screw knob. It's the black lever that bushmaster shows. I just didn't push that black lever down far enough to truly lock the table. I'm helping a pal with a stair railing. At the top of the stair there is a section that runs parallel to the floor. With the stairway slope I need to miter the 20 degrees on both rail piece. Nothing is easy for jeff anymore. Thanks again guys.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    Thanks for the link to get the manual. It's a sliding miter saw. The table doesn't lock with a screw knob. It's the black lever that bushmaster shows. I just didn't push that black lever down far enough to truly lock the table. I'm helping a pal with a stair railing. At the top of the stair there is a section that runs parallel to the floor. With the stairway slope I need to miter the 20 degrees on both rail piece. Nothing is easy for jeff anymore. Thanks again guys.

Didn't you mention in another post that the stair was at 41 degrees? If so then wouldn't you need 20.5 on your railing pieces?