In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sonic mouse deterrents

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
Any of you guys used any of these electrical devices? Do they work? I would like to put a couple out in my pole barn shop. Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried them and have not had much luck at all with them. If you read the package, you need a big wide open area, nothing on the floor, so the sound can travel unimpeded. They don't kill the mice, just annoy them, the same way very loud rock music 24/7 would annoy us. They're supposed to be silent, but I could hear them. And they're expensive.

I bought a bunch of cheap snap traps and a couple of those electric kill jobs. Baited them all up, really had a bunch out with a variety of different baits, and they did the job. You just have to walk through every morning and dispose of the bodies and rebait.

I also found the massive hole they were using to get into the home and fixed it, and I put poison bait stations around the outside of the home.

I get one or two mice a year in the basement. They last for a day or two and the traps get them.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah I do have some, and they do work.But if they have food available, no deterrent is going to deter a Mouse.

The way they work is by emitting ultra high pitch sound that is undetectable by larger animals and humans. The sound does bother them, but again if they have it food source they will put up with it...

Another thing that works is peppermint oil. That is so strong smelling it irritates them. But again, if they have a food source they will put up with it.

The best thing to do is get rid of the food source for them. Just like if you were to pick a cattle * and zap somebody with it every time they try to eat, they would get used to being Zapped with a cattle * and eat anyway.

so unless you're going to try to catch them to get rid of them. Get rid of the food source first, that way they won't feel they have to get used to the deterrence to keep them away. And then install your deterrence after they realize there's no food source for them there.

One of the better traps out there is what they call the log roller mouse trap. You can buy them or make them yourself, go on YouTube and put log roller mouse trap in their search engine to see how they work, and how you can make them yourself
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They got into the RV years ago- I now use the peppermint oil. Under the beds-storage areas. Spray the underside of RV also come cold weather.
    No more mice. I reapply monthly.

PS You better like the smell of peppermint.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    put your stereo out there with your favorite rapper concerts at full blast...even the neighbors will leave
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjrfd99
    They got into the RV years ago- I now use the peppermint oil. Under the beds-storage areas. Spray the underside of RV also come cold weather.

Peppermint oil is great stuff. Wife sprays it around the outside if our house, it keeps away stink bugs, flies, lady bugs, etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere

Peppermint oil is great stuff. Wife sprays it around the outside if our house, it keeps away stink bugs, flies, lady bugs, etc.

make sure you keep peppermint oil away from your pets, if they ingest it, it's highly poisonous to them...
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen "sonic deterrents" tried on pigeons, rodents, even insects. Works for the guys selling them. Never seen it work on anything else. Seen deer whistles for sale lately?[:)]
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

make sure you keep peppermint oil away from your pets, if they ingest it, it's highly poisonous to them...

Good point/post!. I knew but others might not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

Good point/post!. I knew but others might not.

Yep, I knew it too. But I put a couple of cotton balls where some ants were getting in my house once, I thought I had them to where my dog couldn't get them. After $500 worth of Vet bills, I'm not only cautious, but EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS with peppermint oil, it only took one ball for him to almost die. And it wasn't even completely saturated with it...