In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    232322148_l.jpg
    I knew men had evolved from apes...well women are still working at it but the good bits are there!!!
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whew... I glad that's finally settled.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope they called the church to get the unveiling ceremony blessed. [:D]
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow. You can barely tell the difference between that and a man. Now, where are the other 100 billion fossils like this that there easily would be in the 100 million or so years it supposedly took for this creature to evolve into man.

15284798.jpg
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    That's it! A direct descendant of WPA.
    His cousin will be along soon.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The article says that it proves a link between monkeys, apes, humans, and lemurs, and that humans evolved from from apes. I guess I'm not following their line of logic because they are still assuming an unproven theory of a link between apes and humans.
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought they had discovered the missing link last year. Ya know sometime around Nov 04
    edited November -1
    This is what kills me about religious people...they will believe what was written in the bible over 1500 years ago by a bunch of monks with little education, based on no proof at all, but they won't believe modern science. And you wonder why the US is 25th in math and science education, and falling fast.
  • utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I did not evolve from a monkey.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by P228
    This is what kills me about religious people...they will believe what was written in the bible over 1500 years ago by a bunch of monks with little education, based on no proof at all, but they won't believe modern science. And you wonder why the US is 25th in math and science education, and falling fast.

You believed the Piltdown one too, didn't you?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302

Never heard of it.
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    P228; A bunch of uneducated Monks? Better study a little history.
    Philoponus (c.490-c.570) His criticism of Aristotelian physics was important to Medieval science. He also theorized about the nature of light and the stars. He was also called John of Alexandria, hence the picture. As a theologian he rejected the Council of Chalcedon so was a figure in the Monophysitism minority of Eastern Christianity. Cornell University[1] and Stanford University[2]
    Bede, the Venerable (c.672-735) Catholic monk who wrote two works on "Time and its Reckoning." This primarily concerned how to date Easter, but contained a new recognition of the "progress wave-like" nature of tides. He was an influence early medieval knowledge of the natural world. David Edward Cartwright (1999). Tides: A Scientific History. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-5216-2145-3.
    Pope Sylvester II (c.950-1003) A scientist and book collector, he influenced the teaching of math and astronomy in church-run schools, and raised the cathedral school at Rheims to the height of prosperity. A liberal as Gerbert of Rheims, when made Pope he disowned his Gallican antecedents and supported the claims of the papacy. Truman University and History of the Christian Church and an article by William Wallace [3]
    Hermann of Reichenau (1013-1054) He wrote on geometry, mathematics, and the astrolabe. He was also a monk who composed Marian antiphons and was essentially beatified. McTutor
    Robert Grosseteste (c.1175-1253) Bishop of Lincoln, he was the central character of the English intellectual movement in the first half of the 13th century and is considered the founder of scientific thought in Oxford. He had a great interest in the natural world and wrote texts on the mathematical sciences of optics, astronomy and geometry. He affirmed that experiments should be used in order to verify a theory, testing its consequences. A. C. Crombie, Robert Grosseteste and the Origins of Experimental Science 1100-1700, (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1971)
    Pope John XXI (1215-1277) He wrote the widely used medical text Thesaurus pauperum before becoming Pope. When he took office as pope in 1277, he immediately cracked down on heterodoxy including Averroes works and teachings on Aristotle. Lawrence & Nancy Goldstone (2005). The Friar and the Cipher. Doubleday. ISBN 0-7679-1472-4. & Richard Hofstadter (1996). Academic Freedom in the Age of the College. Transaction books. ISBN 1-5600-0860-1.
    Albertus Magnus (c.1193-1280) Patron saint of scientists in Catholicism who may have been the first to isolate arsenic. He wrote that: "Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena." Yet he rejected elements of Aristotelianism that conflicted with Catholicism and drew on his faith as well as Neo-Platonist ideas to "balance" "troubling" Aristotelian elements. In 1252 he helped appoint Thomas Aquinas to a Dominican theological chair in Paris to lead the suppression of these dangerous ideas. Helen S. Lang (1992). Aristotle's Physics and Its Medieval Varieties. State University of New York Press. ISBN 0-7914-1083-8. and Lawrence & Nancy Goldstone (2005). The Friar and the Cipher. Doubleday. ISBN 0-7679-1472-4.
    Roger Bacon (c.1214-1294) He was an English philosopher who emphasized empiricism and has been presented as one of the earliest advocates of the modern scientific method. He joined the Franciscan Order around 1240, where he was influenced by Grosseteste. Bacon was responsible for making the concept of "laws of nature" widespread, and contributed in such areas as mechanics, geography and, most of all, optics. It is said that he was imprisoned by the church for many years because of his scientific teachings, although this is disputed. Lawrence & Nancy Goldstone (2005). The Friar and the Cipher. Doubleday. ISBN 0-7679-1472-4. and Lindberg, D.C. (1995). "Medieval Science and Its Religious Context". Osiris 10 (10): 60-79. doi:10.1086/368743. http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0369-7827(1995)2:10<60:MSAIRC>2.0.CO;2-H.
    Theodoric of Freiberg (c.1250-c.1310) Dominican who is believed to have given the first correct explanation for the rainbow in De iride et radialibus impressionibus or On the Rainbow. In theology he disagreed with Thomas Aquinas on metaphysical positions and tended more towards Neoplatonism than him. Stanford Encyclopedia of philosophy
    Thomas Bradwardine (c.1290-1349) He was an English archbishop, often called "the Profound Doctor". He developed studies as one of the Oxford Calculators of Merton College, Oxford University. These studies would lead to important developments in mechanics. Catholic Encyclopedia
    Jean Buridan (1300-1358) He was a Catholic priest and one of the most influential philosophers of the later Middle Ages. He developed the theory of impetus, which was an important step toward the modern concept of inertia. Essay "Scientific Revolutions as Changes of Worldview" by Thomas Samuel Kuhn in Can Theories be Refuted?: Essays on the Duhem-Quine Thesis edited by Sandra G. Harding. (D. Reidel Publishing Company, 1976)[4]
    Nicole Oresme (c.1323-1382) Theologian and bishop of Lisieux, he was one of the early founders and popularizers of modern sciences. One of his many scientific contributions is the discovery of the curvature of light through atmospheric refraction. Thomas F. Glick, Steven John Livesey, & Faith Wallis, ed (2005). Medieval Science, Technology, and Medicine: An Encyclopedia. Routledge. ISBN 0-4159-6930-1.
    Nicholas of Cusa (1401-1464) Catholic cardinal and theologian who made contributions to the field of mathematics by developing the concepts of the infinitesimal and of relative motion. His philosophical speculations also anticipated Copernicus' heliocentric world-view. McTutor
    Otto Brunfels (1488-1534) A theologian and botanist from Mainz, Germany. His Catalogi virorum illustrium is considered to be the first book on the history of evangelical sects that had broken away from the Catholic Church. In botany his Herbarum vivae icones helped earn him acclaim as one of the "fathers of botany" Meyers Konversationslexikon 1888 - 1889, Jahn, I. Geschichte der Biologie. Spektrum 2000, and
    M?gdefrau, K. Geschichte der Botanik. Fischer 1992

Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543) Catholic canon who introduced a heliocentric world view. In 1620, his work was forbidden by the Church "until corrected". The Church demanded, in "about a quarto page of fine print" that nine sentences, by which heliocentrism was represented as certain, had to be either omitted or changed. This done, the book was still specifically banned in each edition of the index of prohibited books, with an expanded entry in the 1819 index, and not removed from the list until the final edition, in 1828. Catholic Encyclopedia[5], Joseph Mendham (1840). An Index of Prohibited Books: By Command of the Present Pope, Gregory XVI in 1835; .... Duncan and Malcolm. http://books.google.com/books?id=UIALAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA19&dq=copernicus+1620+index#PPA19,M1.
    Michael Servetus (1511-1553) Nontrinitarian who was condemned and imprisoned by Catholics before being burned at the stake by Calvanists in Protestant-run Geneva. In science wrote on astronomy and his theological work "Christianismi Restitutio" contained the first European description of the function of pulmonary circulation. Salon review of a biography of Servetus, History of Science article
    Michael Stifel (c. 1486-1567) Led to the development of Logarithms, hence the picture. He was also among Martin Luther's earlier followers and wrote on Biblical prophecies. University of Florida, Galileo Project at Rice University, and McTutor
    William Turner (c.1508-1568) He is sometimes called the "father of English botany" and was also an ornithologist. Religiously he was arrested for preaching in favor of the Reformation. He later became a Dean of Wells Cathedral, pictured, but was expelled for nonconformity. Galileo Project
    Ignazio Danti (1536-1586) He was a bishop of Alatri who convoked a diocesan synod to deal with abuses. He was also a mathematician who wrote on Euclid, an astronomer, and a designer of mechanical devices. McTutor
    Giordano Bruno (1548-1600) He was an Italian philosopher, priest, cosmologist, and occultist, known for espousing the idea the that Earth revolves around the Sun and that many other worlds revolve around other suns. For his many heretical views, including his denial of the divinity of Christ, he was tried by the Roman Inquisition and burned at the stake. The Catholic Encyclopedia labels his system of beliefs "an incoherent materialistic pantheism." Catholic Encyclopedia; The Pope and the Heretic by Michael White and Eisen and Laderman, ed (2006). "Extraterrestrial Life and Christianity". Science, Religion, And Society: An Encyclopedia of History, Culture, And Controversy. 1. M E Sharpe. pp. 299.
    Bartholomaeus Pitiscus (1561-1613) He may have introduced the word trigonometry into English and French. He was also a Calvinist theologian who acted as court preacher at the town then called Breslau, hence the image of their town square. McTutor
    John Napier (1550-1617) Scottish mathematician known for inventing logarithms, Napier's bones, and being the popularizer of the use of decimals. He also was a staunch Protestant who wrote on the Book of Revelation. McTutor
    Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) His model of the cosmos based on nesting Platonic solids was explicitly driven by religious ideas; his later and most famous scientific contribution, the Kepler's laws of planetary motion, was based on empirical data that he obtained from Tycho Brahe's meticulous astronomical observations, after Tycho died of mercury poisoning. He had wanted to be a theologian at one time and his Harmonice Mundi discusses Christ at points. Galileo Project and Adherents.com and Joshua Gilder and Anne-Lee Gilder (2005). Heavenly Intrigue: Johannes Kepler, Tycho Brahe, and the Murder Behind One of History's Greatest Scientific Discoveries. Anchor. ISBN 978-1-4000-3176-4 (1-4000-3176-1) ISBN.
    Laurentius Gothus (1565-1646) A professor of astronomy and Archbishop of Uppsala. He wrote on astronomy and theology. Uppsala University

[edit] Ratio Studiorum to French Revolution
    The Ratio Studiorum was crucial in the establishment of Jesuit education in 1599. Jesuits played an important role in science dealt with in List of Jesuit scientists. Further Jesuit education and science was an influence outside the Catholic world as well through scholarly communication.

Monks were probably the most educated of their time.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    No one said men evolved from apes.

What was said and has been proposed as a theory- a reasonable one I find- is that given certain pressures, be they climate, geographical, food based, etc., certain isolated populations will 'evolve'- a word Darwin never used- to fill various niches in that environment. Time will favor those lifeforms with natural mutations that adapt them to a certain condition while others die out.

So for instance, if you dumped a bunch of people in a cold environment with few resources or tools, well, some people are naturally a bit hairier than others right? The hairy ones probably survive the first winter. The less hairy ones die out. Eventually all that is left in that area are hirsuite people. Just an example.

So some primates 'evolved' to walk upright and live on the flat ground while others adapted for forest life, others for life in the trees, etc. A group of anscestral primates find themselves somehow isolated in the grasslands. The tallest of them can look above the grass and survive. The shortest get eaten. Eventually all that is left are tall primates. Of these, the ones with the straightest spines survive. Eventually you have upright walking primates- man. You see it all the time; the famous Galapagos finches are a fine example. Nature abhors a vacuum and if something can take advantage of a niche, something will fill it.

The theory runs that man, ape, monkey, etc. all evolved from a common anscestor, not that we evolved from apes directly.

Generally folks who dismiss evolution probalby are dismissing it based on emotion and haven't really studied it. If you actually READ Darwin's book and all the literature and thought that come from it, you have to realize, it all makes a lot of sense. I'm not saying it is 100% right or even 1% right, just that it makes logical sense.

Now I believe in God. I think evolution is the 'how' God made us. I also think he inspires man- including writers- and reveals Himself to us a bit here, a bit there. 2000 years ago man couldn't grasp the idea of evolution, genetics, etc. So God inspired a story about a lovely garden that man could grasp. When, in His judgement, man could understand a new truth, based in science, he inspired some thinkers- like Darwin, Einstein, etc., to impart that truth. And perhaps some day we will get yet another higher level of truth imparted to us... though none of us will know everything until we die. Then we'll either know it all... or just be rotting meat.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Mouse: you astonish me! I salute your letters!
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    isn't "uneducated monk" an oxymoron?

quote:Originally posted by cce1302

Never heard of it.

It was a "modern science" missing link as proof of evolution up until about 50 years ago, when it was discovered to be a hoax.
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    ok, so thy found a fossilized monkey, big deal. the true missing link, is one that is in the midst of evolution. you know an ape who gives birth to something closer to a human. that is the true missing link.
  • burn1bobburn1bob Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • rob223rob223 Member Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Their tails aren't as long, but kinda resembles my sister's kids.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wlfmn323
    ok, so thy found a fossilized monkey, big deal. the true missing link, is one that is in the midst of evolution. you know an ape who gives birth to something closer to a human. that is the true missing link.

A little more study of evolution is in order here. Jonk did a good job of getting you started.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigtire
    monkeyobamaandsheboon.jpg

[:D][:D][:D]

Now your on the watch list for sure!

• dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    sav99...+1000
    iv`e got tears running out of my eyes over this one!hahahahahahaha!!!!
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    And I thought these two Iraqi gentlemen were the missing link...

s-AL-QAEDA-PAKISTAN7-large.jpg
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

Dude! I don't know what to say about this! the one on the right looks like he got struck by a magnesium enriched lightning bolt.[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

Dude! I don't know what to say about this! the one on the right looks like he got struck by a magnesium enriched lightning bolt.[:D]

Don't you know that is not possible? I've been cutting magnesium all my life at the plant, and it just simply will not make a man that ugly....
  • MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    I think I discovered the actual missing link...

hillbilly.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marner

I think I discovered the actual missing link...

hillbilly.jpg

Nah..thats the Obama Constitutional advisors.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Give it up, P228.

The sun is a nuclear furnace that is consuming itself. It is classed as a 'red dwarf', and is shrinking according to the known progressional dynamics of nuclear physics and astrophysics. 10 million years ago, the surface of the sun and the Earth's orbit were in the same place. The disparity in the reduction of the sun's volume as opposed to its mass, precludes any Earth orbital changes. This means that the dinosaurs of '80 million' years ago were hot as h*ll. Or that Darwin, Lyell, and Hutton were wrong.

Evolution promotes Marxism, and that is the only reason for its continued propagandization, with the inherent diseducation of the masses that it has to entail. For the real story about anything, read about the nature of the Quanta.
    edited November -1
    quote:

Evolution promotes Marxism, and that is the only reason for its continued propagandization, with the inherent diseducation of the masses that it has to entail.

So...you would rather believe the bible which was written over 1500 hundred years ago, written YEARS after jesus supposedly was born of a virgin, written by a bunch of guys who supposedly listened to the stories handed down for YEARS without the stories being changed, and then some other guy who just sat down and decided which books to include into the bible? You may want to try the party game, where a story is told around the room, and see how the story changes in 5 minutes, let alone 50 years of being told.
  • 8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laundry-pro
    I thought they had discovered the missing link last year. Ya know sometime around Nov 04
    You my be right.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought the "Missing Link" was a WWF wrestler
    edited November -1
    Nobody ever proved the Bible wrong. But they did with Darwin. Ten dimensions have become known, and evolutionists continue to operate in only four of them, like it was still 1840. Darwinism was flushable by 1900, and outright laughable by 1930, by which time evolutionists, in desperation, had fabricated the Piltdown Man. And they are still desperate. Meanwhile, the scientific community is trying to penetrate the infinite nature of our existence with the Hadron Collider, and infinity, by definition, makes time itself, moot. But Darwinists are still drawing pictures of bones. Go figger.
  • mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    +1. Now we know the true reason that Obamy refuses to show us his Birth cetificate![:D][:D][:D][:D]quote:Originally posted by bigtire
    monkeyobamaandsheboon.jpg

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't sweat it folks. In 500 years most all mono and polytheistic religions will have been discarded as old superstitions much like the vampires and werewolves of 500 years ago.
    That's only 25 generations until we're out of the dark ages....[:)]
    edited November -1
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Noooo.... Not the Higgs Boson. [:0]
    edited November -1
    Actually, the 'Galapagos' finches are a fine example, but of environmental adaptation, not evolution. Their beaks grow longer or shorter depending on the particular food supply that is available. Similarly, rabbit fur will grow longer and thicker in the winter, and shorter and thinner in the summer, and change colors as well. To an extreme, a chameleon will assume the color of its surroundings, not in months (or even weeks), but in seconds. Humans will develop a layer of subcutaneous fat when subjected to a cold climate for a prolonged period, and will lose it when returned to a warm climate. These things are not evidence of evolution. They are an ability to environmentally adapt. The subjects have never become anything except finches, rabbits, chameleons, or humans.
    edited November -1
    quote:

Evolution promotes Marxism, and that is the only reason for its continued propagandization, with the inherent diseducation of the masses that it has to entail.

So...you would rather believe the Bible which was written over 1500 hundred years ago,

Yes.