In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Decatur, we like it here

bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
Several years ago, maybe a decade even, Decatur, IL had a contest of sorts to pick a new city slogan. They picked 'Decatur, we like it here'. The city made tons of shirts, bumper stickers, etc. It's always been a joke amoungst me and a few friends. Seeing headlines like this reminds me of the slogan.

http://www.herald-review.com/news/local/decatur-man-faces-prostitution-robbery-charges/article_f9891550-4bc5-11e1-9b29-001871e3ce6c.html

DECATUR - A Decatur man faces both prostitution and robbery charges after he allegedly invaded another man's car and offered to perform a sex act before beating the victim and robbing him.

Sworn police statements say the crimes happened at 2:55 a.m. Friday as the victim was driving away from the Romantix Adult Emporium on the North 22nd Street. The suspect allegedly walked up to the car, opened the driver's door, and forced his way inside before crawling over the driver into the passenger seat.

The suspect first asked to be taken to a hospital and, when the driver refused, exposed himself to the victim and said he would engage in a sex act in return for $5. The driver again refused and told the suspect to get out of the car and, when he refused, the driver got out. But he was soon confronted by the suspect who demanded his wallet. The driver said he would not hand it over.

"(The suspect) responded by punching him in the left side of his face with a closed fist, causing the victim to fall to the ground," wrote Decatur patrolman Adam Siefman. "The victim advised the suspect got on top of him and punched him several times in the face with a closed fist."

The suspect had then grabbed the man's wallet and ran off and police later found his victim with his face "very swollen, bruised and bleeding." The suspect was later picked out of a photo lineup and arrested. He remains jailed on charges of robbery, vehicular invasion and prostitution.

The suspect is also facing a theft charge for a separate incident about 11 a.m. Friday when he allegedly visited a house on Cardinal Drive and asked the homeowner, whom he had done yard work for in the past, if he could borrow a pair of socks. The homeowner said he believed the suspect to be homeless and had helped him out previously.

While he was retrieving the socks, police allege the suspect stole the man's wallet which contained $60 in cash and credit cards.

Comments

• Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Decatur just stinks of all kinds of foul things now a days.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    last i was in springfield it apreared to be booming just as well
  • Options
    fkdentonfkdenton Member Posts: 540 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live about 45 min from there. Its about a useless town anymore. It used to have a ton of jobs there but they have closed alot of factorys in the last 15 years.
  • Options
    KenthetoolmanKenthetoolman Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After working there for the last 10 years I quit 3 months ago and haven't been back to town since. I don't miss it one bit. You can have it.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I read that today. Think I laughed out loud. Too many issues to deal with on that one. [:D]
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is always gray and drizzly in decatur. Blue skies until you hit Decatur.

I think it is a sign of damnation.

Home of the Evil Empire.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wasn't Decatur,IL. on Leno a year or two ago for best place in U.S. to commit murder and get away with it?

No joke!
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    You can only put so many rats in a box before they start raping, assaulting and killing each other. Doesn't seem to matter if ample food for all is provided. Even social beings devolve into sociopaths when denied freedom to individual space.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    A couple of years ago Wisconsin had a contest for what they would put on their license plates. My favorite one got mentioned but didn't win. It was..

Wisconsin...Smell our dairy air.
    [:D]
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    Wasn't Decatur,IL. on Leno a year or two ago for best place in U.S. to commit murder and get away with it?

No joke!

Back in the mid to late 90s it was, at that time gang violence kind of blew up for the first time in central Illinois and police knew nothing about the gang members. Back then Decatur was having about 20 murders a year, nearly all gang on gang killings, and the majority of them went unsolved.

Since 2000 there's been an average of about 5 or 6 murders a year, and I only know of a few in the last decade that went unsolved.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jesse Jackson likes Decatur.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Decatur is where the Chicago Bears started out. They were known as the Decatur Staley's. Named after a car dealership!! That is why the Bears Mascot is named Staley.
    Now, you have some useless Bears Trivia that just might win you a T shirt in a trivia contest!
    And teams like the Green Bay packers are only around because George Halas hated them so bad, but loved the rivalry even more started revenue sharing so the Packers didn't shut down many many years ago!!
    Sorry, I didn't mean to Hijack your thread![:D]