In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

one thing on college football.....

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in General Discussion
I have noticed lately, head coaches have a defensive coach and an offensive coach!, what are they paid for, just to let someone else call all the plays???? I am a WVu fan, but never like our head coach, Holgerson, but he used to run offense now he has offensive coach also, what are we paying him 3 million a year for, to let two other guys do his job??????

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    College Football has become big money. Look at what the coaches are paid and how much the schools spend on the program.

I may be off base here but I bet the University of Alabama spends more on their football team than Cincinnati does.

I thought so:

https://sportsmanagement.adelphi.edu/resources/infographics/how-much-does-college-football-cost-and-whats-the-general-roi/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272067/operating-income-of-the-cincinnati-bengals/
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    College Football has become big money. Look at what the coaches are paid and how much the schools spend on the program.

I may be off base here but I bet the University of Alabama spends more on their football team than Cincinnati does.

I agree, way to much money, but what do you pay a head coach for when the other 2 guys run the show??
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    I have noticed lately, head coaches have a defensive coach and an offensive coach!, what are they paid for, just to let someone else call all the plays???? I am a WVu fan, but never like our head coach, Holgerson, but he used to run offense now he has offensive coach also, what are we paying him 3 million a year for, to let two other guys do his job??????

You're just now noticing offensive and defensive coordinators?
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06

I agree, way to much money, but what do you pay a head coach for when the other 2 guys run the show??

I don't know but Nick Saban makes 7.3 Million, that is 2 Million more than the next highest paid coach.

That is some serious coin. I wonder if he has to teach any classes?
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

rack we, WVu, allways had defensive coordinators but the head coach allways ran the offense himself, now he lets the offensive coordinator run the plays, so why pay him, just pay the offensive and defensive coordinators and eliminate the head coach..... save 3-3.5 million a year
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

rack we, WVu, allways had defensive coordinators but the head coach allways ran the offense himself, now he lets the offensive coordinator run the plays, so why pay him, just pay the offensive and defensive coordinators and eliminate the head coach..... save 3-3.5 million a year

For the same reason you have staffs in every multi-million dollar organization (and that's what big time college football is) you'll ever find.

Someone is responsible for the offense, someone for the defense, special teams, recruitment, conditioning, etc.....but there's always someone who is the captain of the ship.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,699 ******
    edited November -1
    I?m Virginia Tech all the way, but I love watching Holgerson and the ?Eers.
    They?re not beat til the final whistle blows.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    How do you think we got thru the Chip Kelly Era at Oregon. It was the guy that were in place before he started.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    from one hillbille to another. why dont you ask Alabama what Nick Satan is worth to them and then ask LSU "what were you thinking".