In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who out there smokes in their deer stand?

fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
edited August 2007 in General Discussion
I do, and have also tried not doing it, and it seems to make little if any difference. The only real precautions i take is to make sure i have an empty 1 liter soda bottle to "p" in, if i need to go wile in the tree.

Jeff

Comments

• Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullseye Jacob![xx(]
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    In addition i bring an empty wal mart bag just in case i need to take a dump
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    then theres the year my wife thought i had brought her home a 2 liter of mt dew.. [xx(]
  • linthicumlinthicum Member Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do neither of that, I mainly just sleep in my tree stand.[:o)]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An I ain't takin up smokin just so's I can do it while I deer hunt.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Never hunted from a stand, always preferred stalking. I never paid much attention to scent when stalking, and always smoked when i wanted to.

One time though i had to laugh. I walked down one trail into a valley, smoking along the way, and came back out the same trail. Where i'd stomped out a butt...a Deer had came along and crapped right on the butt.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smokin' and whizzin' don't seem to effect the hunt. Droppin' a steaming pile does.
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never use a stand, but just stand on the ground and smoke like a chimney. Usually the deer don't care if I smoke, at least I have never heard a complaint from one.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My hunting buddy many years ago used to smoke in his stand all the time. It always worked out well for me as they would exit his woods, run over to my stand area and I'd always get one first.
  • work4gunswork4guns Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81
    My hunting buddy many years ago used to smoke in his stand all the time. It always worked out well for me as they would exit his woods, run over to my stand area and I'd always get one first.

I smoke in the stand and like your friend, it usually helps the person in the stand in the next field. I usually still get my deer.

The best part about being in the stand is enjoying the peace and quiet...smoking in that enviorment just come natural.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to do it, back when I was a Marlboro man.
    It was a great place to have a nice relaxing smoke.
    One time, I put the cigarette out while I watched the 6 pointer, picked up the rifle and shot the deer.
    I never could tell that the smoke bothered the deer.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    These poor deer are not here to defend themselves, I dont think we should make fun of them. ......[:o)]
  • Sith LordSith Lord Member Posts: 480
    edited November -1
    I do, and I couldn't tell you if there is a difference because I've been smoking longer than I've been hunting[8D]
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot a deer each year I've peed off the deer stand. Once with a muzzleloader and once with a bow. Both deer came within 10 paces of my tree. I don't believe urinating off the stand does anything to harm your chances. Some theorize that it might actually HELP.
  • LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no dont smoke, wouldn't want our deer to die from second hand smoke..rather see them die from lead poisoning..1 slug at a time.[}:)]..Loko[:D]
  • phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RustyBones

Finally, now I know something I could see being useful for a walmart bag.
    DSM
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Dump or Pee in a zip lock bag and leave it in the tree. The loggers hate that.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RustyBones

Rusty
    What did you do with the original crap that was in the bag when it got home from Wal Mart?
  • watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    I dont smoke. But I do dip in my tree stand. I just spit it in my urinal bottle.[:D]
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont smoke ,or hunt out out of a tree stand.but i have built a small warming fire in a blow down were i hunt and have killed deer .as far as peeing i go were i have to and still killed deer
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Managed to quit smoking, but did smoke in the deer stand for a long time. Now I have a box stand 8 feet to the floor. I installed what we call a "tree-p" in it. Bury a 1 gallon plastic jug filled with sand or gravel about 2 feet deep. (poke holes in the bottom) Punch a hole big enough for some hose or tubing to fit in the lid and run the tubing up into the stand and affix a funnel on it. Make a trap by looping the tube and tieing it. You dippers can use it, too, just pour some water or P down it to keep it open. They have been using them on our lease for a long time, and man are they handy to us OF's who take BP medicine!