In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sellers

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in General Discussion
Bought a gun from redstradingpost a while back and found them to be outstanding GB sellers. We bitceh about bad sellers and buyers all the time so I think we should tell each other about the good ones too.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Has anyone else noticed how ignorant sellers are getting here on GB? Used to be 10 or so years ago when I first joined if you won an auction within a few hours you got an e-mail thanking you for the purchase of the item and where to send payment. Now your lucky to hear from the seller til and if they leave you feedback. Reason for the rant. I won an auction 7 days ago and have yet to hear from the seller, but did get an email from GB that the seller hasn't recieved my payment. If the seller won't tell me were to send the payment how can I send it? Yeah I know there is the view seller contact, but how do I know this is correct?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do I find a specific seller?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    boy do I love a seller with good sells tactics [:D][:D]
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=91544037
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I follow Locust Fork's auctions are there any other sellers you guys would recommend ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I still think all you sellers who post on this forum should post your seller name. Sure would help me when I go to buy. There are about four sellers on here that I have no fear of dealing with. While you are at it check out the seller "neatguns" I know this guy and he will treat you right. I would buy from him, nunn, Pelican and a couple of others any time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got a rifle up for auction here. Received an email form someone asking if I'd consider a lay a way. I replied as to what time of time frame are we looking at here ?? Anyone selling on here ever consider this as an option ????????
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just get a sizeable down payment. 1/3 or more.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Note sure about the folks here but there are several I've seen that does Layaway.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated above, get a sizable deposit, like 1/3. And then don't do a long-term layaway like a year, but give him what most gun shops will give you 30-60 days.

Bear in mind that he may not give you feedback until he receives the firearm. So if he doesn't pay by the end of the layaway, and you resell it. You could get a negative feedback. But that would be my only reason why I would hesitate
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would make it clear that if the gun is not paid for any funds sent to you are NOT going to be returned, add them to the BBQ fund and as payment for holding the gun.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And get a payment plan, in writing!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Meh. Unless you are a member of the Walmart Walton family, I'd tell him "no".

Most folks buying guns are either in the business or shooters/collectors. If a buyer is short on cash, let him work out the terms of a loan with a bank. Nothing good can come from fooling around with financing.

Neal
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    heck you get a third down non refundable what ya got to loose

just relist and do it again and again if need be

win, win
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Meh. Unless you are a member of the Walmart Walton family, I'd tell him "no".

Most folks buying guns are either in the business or shooters/collectors. If a buyer is short on cash, let him work out the terms of a loan with a bank. Nothing good can come from fooling around with financing.

Neal

+1
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends. Lay a way plans can let you get premium prices in the right situation and product. I wouldn't rob someone, but, if I'm going to finance the transaction over time I am going to get top dollar. With lay a way the product stays with you until you are paid so there is no real risk.

So it depends on what his offer is if I would do it, or not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was thinking along the lines of saying that if he makes an initial payment of $500 I would send him the upper half as I can ship that directly to him. Say a second payment of $500 4-6 weeks later would get him the scope. The last payment of $400 I would ship the lower to his FFL. I think that way we earn each others trust. There is no guarantee that something out of the ordinary (my death, his death, theft of the rifle or something else ) would happen in between the time to complete the deal. If something happened to me there would mostly be no way the deal would go through. My wife and daughter don't have a clue as to what I do on line. Say if he doesn't come through on the last payment at worst I still have the lower half and that wouldn't bother me one bit. Still waiting for his reply.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he can afford to buy the gun he should be able to pay for it. I would personally steer away from any layaway.

Lay it away on your credit card or do without would be my take.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    I was thinking along the lines of saying that if he makes an initial payment of $500 I would send him the upper half as I can ship that directly to him. Say a second payment of $500 4-6 weeks later would get him the scope. The last payment of $400 I would ship the lower to his FFL. I think that way we earn each others trust. There is no guarantee that something out of the ordinary (my death, his death, theft of the rifle or something else ) would happen in between the time to complete the deal. If something happened to me there would mostly be no way the deal would go through. My wife and daughter don't have a clue as to what I do on line. Say if he doesn't come through on the last payment at worst I still have the lower half and that wouldn't bother me one bit. Still waiting for his reply.

IMO there is no need for all that. I wouldn't piece mill out the rifle, that is just asking for headaches down the road.

Take his down payment, the rest over 90 days with 1/3 of balance every 30 days or what ever terms you agree to. Make it clear he needs to be sure he can do it as he will forfeit any payments sent if he fails to fulfill the contract. Make it clear you want him to pay in full so he doesn't lose his money but that you will keep what he paid and relist if he fails to make full payment.

I've sold a lot of things on time, including houses. I do not want to repossess, I want people to make good and get what they need/want. But I will repossess if I have to, no other way to do business. Some people sell on time hoping they can keep what's been paid and resale, I'm not one of them. I want people to make good and am glad I could help them do it. Sure I make money, but they get what they need too.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1

your heart is in the right place, but you are making a difficult situation into a horrible situation this way

many ways it could go wrong, one is what if he decided to end the deal and keep the upper, now you have incomplete parts to sell off
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

IMO there is no need for all that. I wouldn't piece mill out the rifle, that is just asking for headaches down the road.

Take his down payment, the rest over 90 days with 1/3 of balance every 30 days or what ever terms you agree to. Make it clear he needs to be sure he can do it as he will forfeit any payments sent if he fails to fulfill the contract. Make it clear you want him to pay in full so he doesn't lose his money but that you will keep what he paid and relist if he fails to make full payment.

I've sold a lot of things on time, including houses. I do not want to repossess, I want people to make good and get what they need/want. But I will repossess if I have to, no other way to do business. Some people sell on time hoping they can keep what's been paid and resale, I'm not one of them. I want people to make good and am glad I could help them do it. Sure I make money, but they get what they need too.

Scout's idea I think, is the best way to handle it.

Sometimes you find just the right item at just the wrong time (when you don't have all the money) Take a non refundable deposit (at least a third) and give him 90 days to come up with the rest but don't send anything until the last payment is made "On Schedule".

Just my opinion.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plenty of folks on here that can pay for what they want to own. Unless there's a sizeable premium, this doesn't sound worth the hassle/risk. If there is a sizeable premium, the risk has just gone up because he's overpaying for the item based on his lack of cash. I might layaway with someone I knew...see no reason to do so otherwise.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    run away ..a partial payment and sending part may get him the repair he needs.....
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are a brick and board store that does layaway in person, doing it on-line is about the same.

If you are a private seller, why hassle with it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

your heart is in the right place, but you are making a difficult situation into a horrible situation this way

many ways it could go wrong, one is what if he decided to end the deal and keep the upper, now you have incomplete parts to sell off

Just saying incomplete parts are never a problem as I always have projects in the works. I have a pretty neat project going on right now and the only part I waiting on is a muzzle brake. If he defaulted on the lower I could use that as well, just saying.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been on the other side. I bought one of my prized guns with a lay a way. Back then I could get monthly bills paid and then had a gun fund.

It worked for me

Ros
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold a Barrett REC 7 on layaway once. Buyer offered to pay more than my asking price if he could do four installments of $1000.00 each. I said sure, after the fourth payment I would ship him the rifle. He paid (took about 3 months) and I shipped him the rifle. I came out WAY ahead and he was very happy.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did it twice here. One worked, the other wanted his money back after two weeks. Gave it to him and said no more. ymmv

And he hounded me with e-mails ect. with sick baby, wife in hospital, wrecked car, blah blah. screw that. EVERYONE has an excuse and I have heard them ALL.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the item isnt gaining any interest or has been listed for awhile then why not do lay away .If it has many watchers and just listed I would let it run for awhile. 1/3 down ,1/3-30 pay off in 60 days. No money returned if buyer backs out of deal. I have done it here many times.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are selling a gun or a few guns. You are not a bank or a lending institution.

Some gun stores do layaway and it pops up in their auctions. They have a whole system in place that complies with all applicable laws and regulations with all necessary disclosures and paperwork. Complying with BATF is hard enough. Do you really want to bite off compliance in another mine field that I've never even seen described or discussed here??

Unless you are set up to do layaway then doing so on a one off basis is just asking for trouble. Just say "no, I'm selling a gun, find your financing elsewhere."

Final thought. If I got that question it would be a red flag that someone's trying to buy something they really can't afford and they are trying to make part of that my problem. I make it a rule not to take on others problems, I have enough of my own and my family's to deal with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well since the potential buyer hasn't answered me in 6 days I think this is a moot point.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I had an FFL, I sold a lot of guns to my coworkers. Since most of them belonged to the Credit Union I used, I made a deal with the CU. They would finance the gun, put the $$$ (MSRP)in my account, the customer would receive his gun, and pay it off through payroll deduction. Helped the CU get members, too. Made everyone happy! [:)]