In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What does this do to the theory of Global Warming.

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always believed that we were just in a cycle of warmer times or that the ozone is a cycle in itself.

We have always been one major volcano away from dropping the average temperature across the earth in order to build back up the glaciers.
  • Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats what global warming is. A theory If you don't believe it ask the people in the north in a few months that are freezing the rear ends off.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try to keep up guys, even the medieval Bush administration now admits Global warming is real. Scientific theory is not like religious theory where one says, "I think..." Scientific theory requires proofs. You are confusing theory with hypothesis.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What does this do to the theory of Global Warming?

Nothing, but it does buttress the argument that humans are effecting the atmosphere in measurable ways, by suggesting confirmation of the damage caused by aerosols and the improvement once the cause of the damage was removed.

The theory was that chlorofluorocarbons (see the Montreal Protocol statement) were depleting the ozone layer. The theory behind the closing of the ozone hole is that the elimination of chlorofluorocarbons from aerosol cans, refrigeration units, a/c units, etc. has now allowed for the atmosphere to heal itself.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    [:)]Just a quick question. What is ozone? Not what does it do. I know but do you?[:)][:D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    This is a topic for the great Al Gore. He knows it all when it comes to the enviorment!

And after all he did invent the internet!

[:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)]
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done
    This is a topic for the great Al Gore. He knows it all when it comes to the enviorment!

I think he also discovered global Warning!!!
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Da-Tank
    [:)]Just a quick question. What is ozone? Not what does it do. I know but do you?[:)][:D]

Ozone is O3, Oxygen is O2.
    JM
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O3 is a larger molecule and is helps filter UV.
    JM
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done

I think he also discovered global Warning!!!
    Yea he has been "WARNING" the globe for years.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Da-Tank

The ozone is anything outside the 1 ring.[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Global warming is a "theory", and yet Creationism should be taught in public schools?

You say po-tat-o, I say po-tot-o.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Absolutely and so should phrenology, astrology, alchemy and other forms of "alternative science."
  • Options
    warriorsfanwarriorsfan Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    ???

http://msn-cnet.com.com/2300-11395_3-6111282-1.html?part=msn-cnet&tag=feed_2501&subj=ns_6111282

looks more and more like a cyclic event...

You do realize that the ozone layer and the greenhouse gas effect are two completely different things, don't you? This has NOTHING to do with global warming, and does nothing to disprove global warming theories.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by warriorsfan
    ???

http://msn-cnet.com.com/2300-11395_3-6111282-1.html?part=msn-cnet&tag=feed_2501&subj=ns_6111282

You do realize that the ozone layer and the greenhouse gas effect are two completely different things, don't you? This has NOTHING to do with global warming, and does nothing to disprove global warming theories.

Yes, greenhouse effect and ozone layer are two different things, but I think they are related.

The way I understand it... the depletion of the ozone layer, caused by florocarbons or whatever, allows more harmful UV rays into our atmosphere, are trapped by the greenhouse effect, which leads to global warming..
  • Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by warriorsfan
    ???

+1. The healing of the ozone layer has nothing to do with global warming.

And although we've known for a long time that global temperatures are cyclic (with glacial and interglacial periods), the bulk of the evidence suggests that our current warming trend is unlike the natural cycles and is largely anthropogenic.
  • Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hughbetcha
    Yes, greenhouse effect and ozone layer are two different things, but I think they are related.

The way I understand it... the depletion of the ozone layer, caused by florocarbons or whatever, allows more harmful UV rays into our atmosphere, are trapped by the greenhouse effect, which leads to global warming..

UV is more of a problem in terms of its ability to disrupt biological systems (i.e. cause cancer and kill things) than the (small) amount of heat-energy it contributes to the planet.
  • Options
    warriorsfanwarriorsfan Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Global warming is not a theory, it is a fact. The earth IS getting warmer, no one, not even the "anti-global warming" folks dispute this. The average surface temperature of the earth has gone up about one degree fahrenheit over the past 100 years.

The "dispute" is whether this increase in temperature is a natural occurence or man-made. It is true that we are in a natural warming period, but the vast majority of atmospheric scientists agree that manmade greenhouse gases are ACCLERATING this warming effect. You can't have hundreds of millions of cars and hundreds of thousands of factories and power plants spewing greenhouse gases into the air with no effect.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I think every scientist out there will admit global warming is a cyclic event. The real issue is our impact on that event. I don't doubt that humans have had an impact I'm just not convinced it is to the extent that the Chicken Littles would have us believe. While scientific studies of the earths past history can give us some trends I don't think the science is accurate enough to determine the full effects of a one or two degree temperature fluxuation of the earth.If it cannot do that I fail to see how science can narrow down human activity to the current trend. If you take a 1000 or 10,000 year period in the past were warming has been identified I think it is pretty hard for science to pull out a 100 year period and say "this was the cause" The technology just isn't there yet. I would venture that even in past warming cycles there may have been an event or events that caused say a century of uncaracteristic change for that period that would remain undetectable by science. What I'm saying is that it is not impossible for the ozone issue could be a coencidence (though probably not) because they cannot make an accurate comparison to a specific 10, 100 or even 1000 year period to determine if that is also a cycle within a cycle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dakotashooter in point of fact we can pinpoint a 50 year period via tree ring data when drought in the southwest ended the years of the people called the Anasazi and drove them to the Rio Grande. They left the 4 corners area because there was no longer water to be found.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    dakotashooter in point of fact we can pinpoint a 50 year period via tree ring data when drought in the southwest ended the years of the people called the Anasazi and drove them to the Rio Grande. They left the 4 corners area because there was no longer water to be found.

By the shores of the gitchee gumi
    By the shining big sea water
    The gentle old Nakoma
    did cradle Hiawatha