In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Steers and queers????

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
Okay. Settle an argument (disagreement). were the words "there are nothing in that state(was it Texas or Wyoming?) besides "steers or queers there" in the movie Platoon or Officer and a Gentlemen? Or both? I may not have the quote exactly correct.

Weigh in on this one. It has been a major source of disagreement today (wish we had something more worthy to argue about}.

Comments

• Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The movie is Officer and a Gentleman, the place is Oklahoma City. the actor was Lou Gossett, and the phrase was Oklahoma City, Nothin in oklahoma city but steers and queers, which one are you boy? I dont see any horns!
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Texas... and it was in Full Metal Jacket.

Guess it was used in more than one movie.

Here is a Full Metal Jacket soundboard. Click on the phrase, right side, third down.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jacket1.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh boy. This could spark as much controversy as we had on the trip today.[}:)] I think Wrangler has it correct. It was Full Metal Jacket in that is the movie that was argued against my Officer and Gentleman. Perhaps it is both movies?

[}:)][}:)][}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually, I think I'm right. I've seen Platoon and Full Metal jacket. I dont believe I remember the line in either of those movies. I absoutely remember for sure the line from Lou Gossett to David Keith at the beginning od the movie Officer and a Gentleman where the new officer candidates are all lined up on the parade ground.

And it was Oklahoma City, cause that's where the character Daivid keith played was from. later in the movie he talks about going back to OK City to work in the grocery store.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hugh, check the link above.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wrangler
    Hugh, check the link above.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can believe RLee Ermey said the line and it does sound familiar now that I hear it. I will still insist however that the line was also in An Officer and a Gentleman, i remember the scene where the DI says it, i remember who he says it to.

Both characters are playing stereotypical drill sergeants and it's not unusually for them to use the same lines like "dont eyeball me boy" "Drop an give me twenty" "Dont call me sir I work for a living"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You might be right. I've never seen Officer and a Gentleman all the way through.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am staring to think it is both. I distinctly rememeber the line from near the begining of Officer and a Gentleman and near the end of the same movie. It was Lou.

However, I think the TV version cut it out so the "younger generation" has not heard it from there and perhaps that is why they only remember the Full Metal Jacket quote. ??????
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's in both movies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rogue_rob
    It's in both movies.

Did you know David Keith is from Knoxville? Richard Gere is the gerbil stuffer and he's from LA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hugh, I had heard the same thing about Gere for years. Snopes says it ain't so.

http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/gerbil.asp
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    It is one of the several lines used by Drill Instructors, stolen by Hollywood; along with others like His mind went from * to grass, and so on.
  • Options
    yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wrangler
    Texas... and it was in Full Metal Jacket.

Guess it was used in more than one movie.

Here is a Full Metal Jacket soundboard. Click on the phrase, right side, third down.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jacket1.html

Definitely Full Metal Jacket about Texas.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its in both flicks- art imitates life- In the TV version of Officer & a gentleman, line was amended to "Strays and Gays". And yes, I still remember "Boy, get your greasy eyeballs off me! You like looking at me?" [:p]
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its said twice in an Officer and a Gentlemen,once at the first of the movie to David Keith and also at the end of the movie to a new recuit as queer I mean Gere is riding off on his motorcycle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    Its said twice in an Officer and a Gentlemen,once at the first of the movie to David Keith and also at the end of the movie to a new recuit as queer I mean Gere is riding off on his motorcycle.

On the unedited version, if you look real close you can see a Gerbil sitting on the back of the motorcycle as he drives away.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    HUGHBETCHA: quote: On the unedited version, if you look real close you can see a Gerbil sitting on the back of the motorcycle as he drives away. Is it wearing a seat belt? or just holding on tightly?
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was said in FMJ because private "cowboy" was from Texas, everybody knows we have alot of steers here and they just needed something that rymed with steers, I mean come on it's TEXAS I have never even known a gay.
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HeavyBarrel
    It was said in FMJ because private "cowboy" was from Texas, everybody knows we have alot of steers here and they just needed something that rymed with steers, I mean come on it's TEXAS I have never even known a gay.

Rest assured that there are queers in Texas. Read http://tinyurl.com/b9ahk ... the first two paragraphs right below the big I.

Of course, I disagree with Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann (Ermey in FMJ), since some very good music also comes from Texas. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ZERODIN
    quote:Originally posted by HeavyBarrel

Rest assured that there are queers in Texas. Read http://tinyurl.com/b9ahk ... the first two paragraphs right below the big I.

Of course, I disagree with Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann (Ermey in FMJ), since some very good music also comes from Texas. [;)]

I hear they also have gerbils in Texas.. big as dogs and mean too!
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Did you know David Keith is from Knoxville?

yeah, I knew that. He's at most of the home games on the sidelines I believe.

He was in the movie "Behind enemy lines" too with a Volunteer reference at the first part of the movie. Someone asked him how the Vols did last weekend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rogue_rob
    quote:Did you know David Keith is from Knoxville?

yeah, I knew that. He's at most of the home games on the sidelines I believe.

He was in the movie "Behind enemy lines" too with a Volunteer reference at the first part of the movie. Someone asked him how the Vols did last weekend.

Glad they didn't ask him about this year.