In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My current Acetone in fuel results.

powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
Put acetone in the fuel on the way up to Knoxville. Started with 1 1/2oz per 10 gal. That gave me 1.3 mpg(3.9%)more per gal. over what I had been getting (33mpg). Then I added about 2 1/2oz per the next 10 gal. That gave me 2.5 mpg (7.5%) more per gal. I drove all week doing in town driving, stop-n-go. I got 28.4mpg this week, don't have anything to compare that to as I did not get much stop-n-go driving in Florida.

This week I put 3 oz in and 'am still waiting to see what the results will be. This tank will be a mix of intown and on the highway driving, I put about 120 express way mile on and will drive intown the rest of the week. In-town means the 5.2 miles to the office and then running to Wally-World and out to eat etc.

The engine performs as well as it always has.

"There are two freedoms-the false where people do as they like and the true where people do as they ought."

Taking care of our responsibilities helps garantee our freedoms

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Hey Smoke! hows the Job coming?? I got a guy thats drawing up something, he wants you to put on some grips (scrimshaw).. dont know when he will bring it.. .
    [:p]

"when you see the enemy, you attack and shoot him down, anything less is just bull shi*
    Baron Von Richthofen (RED BARON)

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Classic',

When you get it, see if you can scan it and post it so I can get an idea of difficulty and cost.

"There are two freedoms-the false where people do as they like and the true where people do as they ought."

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    He came within an ace of buying the ones I have, but finally decided he wanted something more personal, so I told him draw it up, take a pic and I would forward it to you..so maybe next week end I will see him again..[:p]

"when you see the enemy, you attack and shoot him down, anything less is just bull shi*
    Baron Von Richthofen (RED BARON)

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, it's been a long day, but I'm pretty sure that I posted on this thread at some point. Am I that tired? Did my puter hiccup? Can't imagine it being poofed. Anyone remember? All I said was keep us posted on the results, and never mind why I have a can of acetone around.[;)]....edit....Never mind...I'm just tired..I know what I did...Sorry

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Options
    rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    Great!. Might work. Oh, ever seen what acetone does to rubber and Plastic? (You know, things like pump diaphrams, fuel pressure regulators, plastic injector housings, fuel pump housings, fuel filter housingsand the like?) When I worked at the Mopar dealership, we had an old guy that like to tinker. he was playing with acetone in his gas. then he was paying for new injectors, 2 plastic fuel lines, a sending unit, (no, not because of the gas thing in the NE last winter...the housing jellied and fell off)

Try her out, but don't get crazy....... or go ahead.....i still got tools! (oh and too much will play games if you are emissions tested.....forgot that one.)

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made tham out of meat!
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    The article is interesting but the math is haywire.

They say mix the fuel somewhere between:
    1 part acetone to 3000 parts gas and,
    1 part acetone to 5000 parts gas

Then they say add between 1 to 3 ounces acetone per 10 gallons of gas.

1 oz per 10 gallons is a 1:1280 ratio
    2 oz per 10 gallons is a 1:640 ratio
    3 oz per 10 gallons is a 1:427 ratio

A 1:3000 ratio would be 0.4 ounces per 10 gallons of gas
    A 1:5000 ratio would be 0.25 ounces per 10 gallons of gas.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One other thing to consider is that because your trying somthing to increase your mileage, your also sub-consisuly doing the very things that would increase your mileage anyway. IE feather footing the accelerator, backing off the gas and doing a long coast to stop instead of using the brake, increasing the tire pressures etc.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Listen to rcrxmike_2.
    You will probably have serious trouble with plastic and rubber parts in your fuel system including your fuel level sending unit.
    It can be a costly learning experience and maybe a fire hazard when a rubber fuel line lets go.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I built a fuel preheater for a fellow in California when I lived there.We used the heat from the engine coolant to heat the gas,thus expanding it.I also built a water/alcohol injector for him.They were all his designs,I just built them.I never did find out if they worked or not.We moved away and found out later he was one of the zodiac killer suspects.
    EvilDr235

Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    One other thing to consider is that because your trying somthing to increase your mileage, your also sub-consisuly doing the very things that would increase your mileage anyway. IE feather footing the accelerator, backing off the gas and doing a long coast to stop instead of using the brake, increasing the tire pressures etc.

Good point.

You also have to consider variability in fuel-filling pumps and the grade of the parking lots in fuel stations. Your tank won't always fill to the same level using different filling station pumps because of the variables of the automatic shut-off on the pumps. One fuel station's slightly different parking lot grade, and subsequent different angle your tank may be sitting at, can also affect how full your tank is. This can throw you fuel mileage figures and not give you an accurate reading unless you average your figures over multiple fill-ups.

When on the highway and measuring fuel mileage, you also have to consider wind and geography. If you are driving with a good tail wind through part of your trip, your mileage can be better than driving into a strong head wind. Additionally, in hilly country you will be getting a different measure than when traveling on flat land or on a general downgrade.

Finally, as already noted, acetone is a powerful solvent. If it doesn't damage the components of your fuel system, you might get an improvement from its solvent capability actually cleaning your injectors -- there are better products to use for this than acetone though. The point is, it's not the acetone that improves your mileage, but the clean injectors that is doing the trick.

"Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness." -- H.G. Wells (The Time Machine)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxmike_2
    Great!. Might work. Oh, ever seen what acetone does to rubber and Plastic? (You know, things like pump diaphrams, fuel pressure regulators, plastic injector housings, fuel pump housings, fuel filter housingsand the like?) When I worked at the Mopar dealership, we had an old guy that like to tinker. he was playing with acetone in his gas. then he was paying for new injectors, 2 plastic fuel lines, a sending unit, (no, not because of the gas thing in the NE last winter...the housing jellied and fell off)

Try her out, but don't get crazy....... or go ahead.....i still got tools! (oh and too much will play games if you are emissions tested.....forgot that one.)

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made tham out of meat!

Sorry these are non-problems or worries.

The acetone comes in a plastic container. Not all plastics/rubbers are of the same composition. Tests have been made with pure acetone, soaking fuel system parts in the pure acetone. The only result was some minor swelling of the parts. Now remember that was pure acetone, I'm talking about 2-3 parts per thousand mixture of acetone and gasoline. No problem, no problem, no problem.

• Options
    edited November -1

Whittemore

No, haven't changed the way I drive, as heavy footed as ever.

• Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by powdersmoke

Whittemore

No, haven't changed the way I drive, as heavy footed as ever.

In case you're wondering, cheapest gas in West Knoxville is the Racetrack station on Pellisippi Parkway in Solway (on the road over to oak ridge)