In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

For LEO's that Carry AR-15's for Patrol Rifles

WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
edited March 2005 in General Discussion
I've been charged with the task of helping choose the type of ammo to use in our Bushmaster patrol rifles that are coming in. I was wondering what brand, grain, etc. of ammo do other agencies use? Thanks for any input.

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy

Comments

• Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i only know what i've read on the internet- as this has never stopped me before from posting, i'll recommend black hills remanufactured(blue box) 55gr(i think)...
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Is your area rual or urban?? We use the 'gray' box Fedral 55 gr SP at the PD. On TAPS (Trans Alaska Pipeine System) we use the 60 gr Hornady TAPS ammo. I don't know which is 'best'. But you need more consideration of the over penatration amd richocet problem in the 'urban' setting. When I was on the SWAT team (many years ago) we used surplus M-16's and used FMJ ammo because the powers-that-be beleived because they were 'military' weapons they were not not designed for SP ammo, which we all knew was BS but we were forced to use it!![xx(] (Ignorance is alive and well in the ranks of many police administrators). I would say to try and find an ammo that is use able (affordable enough) to use as both practice/training and carry so they will maintain the zero from the range to the street, and vise versa. If you use two different ammos they should be as close as possible to the impact point.
    Hope this helded (but was probably more confussing than helpful).[:)]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Sounds like an excuse to buy some of each and make some consistency-tests.

Reliability (firing/feeding)
    Accuracy
    Pull some apart and controlweigh cases, powder and projectiles - controlmeasure the cases after firing (if fluted chambers).

Ok, that might be a thorough test, but nonetheless - it'd be the way I'd do it.

Other than that, I'd stick with namebrands of ammo, in the standard hunting-versions available.

Some namebrands have LEO-ammo available - that is usually high grade specialiced ammo that meets LEO/Military needs and specs.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.

The only way to get stoned??? - Whisky on the rocks offcourse.!!

Wanna see somethin' scary.?? Click here...
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Bushmasters with the 1/9 twist will fire just about every type of bullet fairly accurately. They do better with 59,60, 62 grain FMJ and HP rounds. The older mil surplus guns have to go with 55 gr. rounds or they become very inaccurate after 100 yds. There are a bunch of specialty round available in .223 incluging frangible rounds, plastic rounds etc. that are good for use in crows, short range less than lethal force etc. Buy some of each and spend the rest of the year testing them.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We use 62gr Black Hills 62gr HP in our Bushmasters,seems the HP ammo will not over penetrate as likely SP or FMJ.Its also very accurate and loaded very consistantly.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We bought our own guns and ammo at the Sheriff's Dept. i worked for. I had a colt sp1 with a 1 in 9 twist. I shot the cheap wolf ammo in it. Accuracy was good enough for my purpose (it had a 16 inch barrel and i never fired it further than about 50 yards.) and i never had any of the mechanical failures many people say you will get from shooting it. With all that said I probably wouldn't supply a whole department with it because of all the complaining you would have to endure for buying cheap ammo. good luck.
    Sherwin
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    I work in a city, so over penetration will be a consideration. I'm just starting my research, but your input will help point me in the right direction. Thanks.

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy
  • Options
    RedneckRedneck Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Extreme shock.

Long live General Lee
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm looking at a box of winchester super x 64grain PP (knurled). Department issue. I don't know what you're going to do considering overpenetration being an issue. There is probably frangible stuff out there on the market but you do carry a sidearm a shotgun and now it sounds like an AR, just gotta hope you are carrying the right iron at the right time.

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I took part in a tactical team ammo selection program last year and researched low penetration ammunition for entry team use in short barreled Commando M16's. We found that the Hornady TAP is about the most widely used round out there for these purposes and performed well in our wallboard mock-up tests against other available rounds.

It's basically their VMax bullet pushed at a jacked up velocity and loaded with low flash powder.

Good stuff that's worth checking out.
  • Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know if roboman was here he'd tell you to use Wolf ammo [:D].

(How come you never see the words "Premium" or "Match" used in ads for Wolf ammo ? [;)])

Have guns,will travel
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SXSMAN
    You know if roboman was here he'd tell you to use Wolf ammo [:D].

(How come you never see the words "Premium" or "Match" used in ads for Wolf ammo ? [;)])

Have guns,will travel

Wolf Ammo prevents overpenetration by jamming your weapon.