In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New York 'cop doc' slams deadly US gun culture C&P

The Scarlet PumpernickelThe Scarlet Pumpernickel Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
NEW YORK (AFP) - The fatal shooting of a New York policeman triggered a tirade against the prevailing gun culture in the United States by the doctor who tried to save the officer's life.

Writing in the conservative New York Post tabloid, Robert Kurtz said the entire country was "awash in guns" which were turning US cities into "war zones."

Kurtz, co-director of trauma and critical care at Kings County Hospital (KCH) in New York, is known as the "cop doc" because of the many wounded police he has treated over the years.

While New York has highly restrictive gun laws, Kurtz argued that they would be ineffective as long as guns remained easily available in other states such as Florida, Georgia and Virginia.

"Why have we allowed our city streets to become war zones -- war zones that have made us so experienced at treating gunshot wounds at KCH that we were chosen to train Army nurses and doctors in battlefield medicine?" Kurtz wrote.

While overall crime in New York City has dropped in recent years, there have been 1,407 shootings so far this year, a 6.1 percent increase over the same 2004 period.

Kurtz blamed the situation on arms makers who control the gun lobby group, the National Rifle Association, which in turn "has intimidated politicians, both Republican and Democrat, making it impossible to pass suitably restrictive gun laws."

Kurtz's remarks followed the death Monday of police officer Dillon Stewart, 35, who was fatally shot through the heart while pursuing a driver in Brooklyn.

Comments

• Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fing moron .

Neo-Jedi Order

th_reblogo.gif

th_israel-army_03.gif

th_22987.jpgMWC
    '05
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Wow. "Suitably restrictive". Wouldn't suit ME at all.
    Pansy-* whimpering little mama's boy.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why don't we just deed new jerk city off to canada. They would be happier, and so would the rest of the U.S.

Traveling from the west, unto the east. Insearch of that which was lost, but with my endavors, and his assistance, I am hopeful, of finding.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Yeah. We need to get rid of guns. It could be a peaceful paradise here like it is in Britain.

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
    If multiculturalism is the answer, it must have been one hell of a stupid question.
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    "Why have we allowed our city streets to become war zones -- war zones that have made us so experienced at treating gunshot wounds at KCH that we were chosen to train Army nurses and doctors in battlefield medicine?" Kurtz wrote.

Who better for the Army to get to train their doctors and nurses than someone thats spent his entire life treating his own BLEEDING HEART!

Ben

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
    - Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Notice he doesn't address his tirade to the people who are actually causing gun crime; THE ARMED AND VIOLENT CRIMINALS! Instead, as usual, he basically addresses his tirad at the innocent, lawful because he knows that as more and more restrictive gun laws are passed ONLY THE ALREADY LAWFUL WILL OBEY THOSE LAWS.

And notice that he doesn't mention restricting ALL GUNS. Just guns in the hands of citizens.

f2520l.jpg
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...as usual,snivel, and whine. Gun restrictive laws dont work because
    the FREAKIN CRIMINALS DONT CARE ABOUT "ANY" LAW[:(!]...............
    ..I know. I know, we all know this, but just had to say it..[:)]

"their in front of us,their behind us,their to our left,and to our right...they cant get away from us now boys!"
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who are the gun makers that control the "gun lobby"? I'm always hearing guys complain about S&W and Ruger copping out to liberal gun laws.