In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Burning Man - Bigger than ever - 68,000

andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats a lot of cake at $380 a pop.
    RLTW

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    article-0-1B85F3E5000005DC-20_964x835_zps2a6bca42.jpg

That is wild! Half-naked hippie girls! Looks like plenty of free love up for grabs at Burning Man.

My neighbor went to that festival 5 years ago. He is an actor who lives usually in New York City so he fit right in. He had a great time.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Thats a lot of cake at $380 a pop.

HUH? What's $380? Admission?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is the week long admission price. No, they do not offer daily rates. They don't want daily spectators. They want week long participants. So, it is not cheap. PLUS, you have to bring EVERYTHING with you that you will need. The only vendors on site are the RV sewage pumper truck, and a place where you can buy bags of ice and cups of coffee. That's it. No crafts for sale booths, or anything else for sale. You ARE allowed to barter or give gifts, but nothing can be for sale for money. Most folks just walk around with a cup on a necklace because just about every campsite will fill your cup for free as you walk by. Some people set up bars, but the booze is free, unless you happen to feel like giving them a gift. I live pretty close, but have never attended. Maybe one of these years, just out of curiousity. [:D]
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The smell of B.O. and patchouli oil must be overpowering....[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bathing is not a high priority activity. Mainly because YOU have to bring in all of your own water, AND you have to haul out all of your grey and black water. NO DUMPING on the playa. Most seem to make do with an occasional sponge bath with lemon water or vinegar water. (You want something mildly acidic to counteract the very alkaline playa dust.) [:D] Most participants reserve a motel room for the day they leave, mainly to get access to a good shower. [:D][:D]
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another predictable gathering of non-conformists...all dressed alike.

If it is anything like the Rainbow Family yearly gathering, these 'radically self-sufficient' dweebs have cleaned out every Food Pantry and Social Service organization for 200 miles in any direction.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    What's the core of this event? Rockabilly jam? Hard rock? Looks like Woodstock, revisited..or Sturgis type folks.

So, what's the coherence? Some cockamamie religious gathering?

Rampant drugs there?

I'm too old to know. So, someone has to 'splain it to me. Best.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes they indulge in drugs. I was recuperating from knee surgery when my neighbor went to Burning Man. I had a big bottle of Vicodin and I gave him 8 of them to take to the festival, he said it "would help with the girls."

So, I guess, you go up to a half naked hippie chick at Burning Man and say, "Hey, baby, want to come back to my RV and pop a Vicodin and have a glass of wine" and you have got it made.

No doubt, booze, pills and pot in abundance.

It is not a religious gathering, I think you guessed right it is kind of a latter-day Woodstock. They sit out in the desert at midnight, smoke pot and bang on bongo drums and light the man-figure on fire.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burning man Orgy Dome! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x4RsKnq-JA

Oh not safe for work or kids.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    The smell of B.O. and patchouli oil must be overpowering....[xx(]

That's what I thought when I saw those pics, they must stink. nasty lazy obama voters
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    68k weirdos, I know a fellow from California that attends, weird as hell, libtard tree hugger type. This would be a great place for some kind of disaster [:o)]
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    they do their thing way out in the middle of nowhere so they bother me not at all. its not my scene. i'll never go or even contemplate going. radical expressionism doesnt appeal to me.

some people might call them freaks. some of them might think wearing a suit to work 60hrs a week is freakish, or paying so much in interest on a mortgage and so on. to each their own i suppose. they dont bother me, i dont bother them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    they do their thing way out in the middle of nowhere so they bother me not at all. its not my scene. i'll never go or even contemplate going. radical expressionism doesnt appeal to me.

some people might call them freaks. some of them might think wearing a suit to work 60hrs a week is freakish, or paying so much in interest on a mortgage and so on. to each their own i suppose. they dont bother me, i dont bother them.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    ...I think you guessed right it is kind of a latter-day Woodstock.A signficant difference is that a ticket to Woodstock went for $8.

I've read that admission to Burning Man will run you $650.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nutfinn
    68k weirdos, I know a fellow from California that attends, weird as hell, libtard tree hugger type. This would be a great place for some kind of disaster [:o)]
    LOL!!!!!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    Who gets the money? What do they do with it?

If attendees are expected to bring everything they need, and haul off all their sewage and trash, where does the money go?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

If attendees are expected to bring everything they need, and haul off all their sewage and trash, where does the money go?

it goes into the various exenses associated with the event. take for example the trash fence.

sure, you're "expected" to haul your own garbage, but theres plenty left blowing around. they erect a fence around the camp to catch it all. then people, who i assume are being compensated, go around and collect it.

http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/about_burningman/ticketprices.html
  • Options
    edited November -1

it goes into the various exenses associated with the event. take for example the trash fence.

sure, you're "expected" to haul your own garbage, but theres plenty left blowing around. they erect a fence around the camp to catch it all. then people, who i assume are being compensated, go around and collect it.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1

That's BLM land out there and you can't set up a commercial operation on it without permits and fees. The event's promoters pay a couple of million in fees to the Bureau of Land Management and the Nevada county it's located in.

The ticket fee I stated is full price, but this can vary. For example, they offer group tickets, low income tickets ($190), etc. However, even after their local/federal usage fees, fence building (it's a plastic one), toilet facilities, ticket processing (which they claim runs almost $500,000), etc. you're still probably talking millions left over.

As I said, this ain't Woodstock.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If just 1/2 the 68K people paid full price that would still amount to $12,92000.................Like I said before that is a lot of cake.

That is not taking into account t-shirt sales. But maybe they "gift" the t-shirts since that is one of the cornerstones of Burningman.

Here is their expenses in 2011, they have a 7 million dollar payroll.

You can bet its about the money.
    RLTW

• Options
    SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holy drugs unlimited Batman!!!
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must be growing up. I was going to make an inappropriate reply to this thread having to do with Obama voters, but I stopped myself short of clicking the button.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hippies-Hippies-Everywhere.jpg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nutfinn

Bingo! and...whatever floats their boat. Somebody is getting rich over the thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    I must be growing up.

Somehow I doubt it.