In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Not sure if this is true -- but ?

BlackPowderJamBlackPowderJam Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in General Discussion
Brass Shell Casings - You Gotta Read this one to believe
it!!!

Be sure you are sitting down when you read this one!

Georgia Arms is the 5th largest retailer of .223 Ammo in America.
They sell
9mm, .45, .223 ammunition. They normally buy spent brass from the US
Department of Defense. Spent brass is "one time used" shell cases
used by
our Military for training purposes.

They buy the brass, recondition it, and then reload the brass for
resale to
Law Enforcement, Gun Clubs, Gun Shops, and stores like Wal-Mart. They
normally buy 30,000 lbs of spent brass at a time.

This week the DoD wrote a letter to the owner of Georgia Arms and
informed
him that from now on the DoD will be destroying the spent brass,
shredding
it. It will no longer be available to the ammo makers, unless they
buy it
in a scrap shredded condition (which they have no use for).

The shredded brass is now going to be sold by the DoD to China as
scrap
metal, after the DoD pays for it to be shredded. The DoD is selling
the
brass to China for less money than the ammo makers have been paying,
plus
the DoD has to pay to have the brass shredded and do the accounting
paperwork.

This sure helps the economy now doesn't it? Sell cheaper to China ,
and do
not sell at all to a proven US business. Any hidden agenda working
here?
Obama going after the Firearms Industry and our ammunition!!

The Georgia Arms owner even related a story that one of his
competitors had
already purchased a load of brass last week. The DoD contacted him
this week
and said they were sending someone over to make sure it was
destroyed. Shell
cases he had already bought!

The brass has no value to the ammo maker if it is
destroyed/shredded/melted.

The ammo manufacturer only uses the empty brass cases to reload
different
calibers, mainly .223 bullets.

The owner of Georgia Arms says that he will have to lay off at least
half of
his 60 workers, within 2-3 months if the DoD will no longer sell
spent brass
cases to the industry. Georgia Arms has 2-3 months of inventory to
use, by
summer they're out.

If the Reloading Industry has to purchase new manufacture brass
cases, then
the cost of ammunition will double or even triple, plus Obama wants
to add
a 500% tax on each shell.

You can read the information and see the DoD letter to Georgia Arms
here:

The Shootist Site
http://www.theshootist.net/2009/03/dod-ends-sale-of-expended-military.
html
<blockedhttp://www.theshootist.net/2009/03/dod-ends-sale-of-expended-m
ilitar
y.html>

If you're not outraged at what this administration is doing you

should be! Be Afraid! Be Very, Very Afraid! Get involved! It's Your
Freedom

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is as bogus now as it was a few years ago
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    you're not sure if its true because you refuse to spend a tiny amount of time researching it before you post it. had you put one minutes worth of effort into verifying the veracity of the story, you'd have found it to be false.

instead, you just threw it up here with a get out of jail free card disclaimer so when it is proven to be crap, "well gee guys, i said i didnt know if it was true".

sadly, this is the standard behavior around here, bot the exception to the rule....
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    It was once true. Not anymore. I learned this at the Fort Drum ASP. There was a palletized crate 3/4 of the way full of once fired .50 BMG casings. The tech told me it was on it's way to a chipper then going to be sold as scrap because they couldn't sell the casings anymore. I wanted to cry. I was back there about a year later and apparently the policy (or law) had changed and the casings could be sold again.
  • Options
    BlackPowderJamBlackPowderJam Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK I'm sorry it will not happen again, I guess I get the dumb * award of the day maybe for the year. I received it, read it, and no did not take the time to check it, I'm getting lazy working 60 hours a week, but as I said it will not happen again.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    you're not sure if its true because you refuse to spend a tiny amount of time researching it before you post it. had you put one minutes worth of effort into verifying the veracity of the story, you'd have found it to be false.

instead, you just threw it up here with a get out of jail free card disclaimer so when it is proven to be crap, "well gee guys, i said i didnt know if it was true".

sadly, this is the standard behavior around here, bot the exception to the rule....

Kev, I agree that we all need to do a little more checking before we post anything, but I bought this story without looking because I heard the same thing on TV a week or two ago. Evidently the professional news dudes don't do much checking either.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackPowderJam
    OK I'm sorry it will not happen again, I guess I get the dumb * award of the day maybe for the year. I received it, read it, and no did not take the time to check it, I'm getting lazy working 60 hours a week, but as I said it will not happen again.

You work 60 hours a week and you're lazy!! I find that as funny.....[:D][:D]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    You work 60 hours a week and you're lazy!! I find that as funny.....[:D][:D]

Maybe he's like me. I've been lazy all my life, I've just never had a chance to prove it.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Read more
    Post less
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Don't feel bad, guy. Survival in this piranha pool requires a thick skin, no matter how verifiable your post is.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    The Forum Search feature is your friend: http://forums.gunbroker.com/search.asp [;)]
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Bob... Don't sweat the Small Stuff... Some People * their Britches All Up in A Bunch Over the Simple Chit.
    You Know Like Spellin' Sumpin' Rong (lol) Or Punchiatshun.
    I Have Done the Same in the Past And Might Do it Again.
    Anyway At least Ya Got them Checking Stuff Out, Gives them Something to Do Other Than Bickering Amongst themselves. Welcome to the Forums By the Way!![;)][:D][^]
    Woody
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271697743

• Options
    trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    Don't feel bad, guy. Survival in this piranha pool requires a thick skin, no matter how verifiable your post is.

being part of this forum is like being in high school, still got bullies, know it alls, and braggers. If you can weed through their BS you can still get an education....[:D]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    http://georgia-arms.com/223rem.aspx

Still selling .223 for .35 Cent a round,by the thousand...
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trc313
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster

being part of this forum is like being in high school, still got bullies, know it alls, and braggers. If you can weed through their BS you can still get an education....[:D]

a GB education is about the only thing worth less than an American high school diploma.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Don't get a blue-veiner, KEV....
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18

Kev, I agree that we all need to do a little more checking before we post anything, but I bought this story without looking because I heard the same thing on TV a week or two ago. Evidently the professional news dudes don't do much checking either.

this one particular story is kind of a gray area. it was true, but the order was recinded. so for a very short window, it was a factual story.

the problem of course is that very short window was some years ago, so now its just another old internet scare story that keeps getting brought up and posted by people who refuse to do 1 minutes worth of research to confirm a story before posting it.its not rocket science.