In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fobus Holster Question

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
My new P-11 came with a Fobus holter for it.

Are these things allways so tight?

The gun goes in fine but you have to pull friggen hard as hell to get it out of it!

Is there a way to make it easier to pull out?

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Isn't there an adjustment screw near the trigger guard?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Isn't there an adjustment screw near the trigger guard?
    Nope![:(]
  • Options
    GotteskriegerGotteskrieger Member Posts: 3,170 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a fobus a long time ago for a 1911. When you drew the weapon the holster came with it. I gave it away. Get a kydex holster with the screws.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry my Glock 23 in a Fobus holster and like it. It does have a little "snap" going into and coming out of the holster which, at least, indicates it is secure in the holster.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau

I carry my Glock 23 in a Fobus holster and like it. It does have a little "snap" going into and coming out of the holster which, at least, indicates it is secure in the holster.

This has a snap going in but it takes a bunch of muscle to pull it out.
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Fobus for a Taurus .38 I had. Damn thing would never come out of it. I finally rivited the holster to a bench in my boat so my pistol would be secure there. Using two hands with leg power, I can draw it pretty fast now.[:D]
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I gave one away cause I couldn't be sure i could get the damn gun out when i needed it!
    my buddy says the trick is to draw "sharply and in a perfectly vertical motion" (his words).
    too much trouble for me. I'd hate to get my * kicked, or worse, because I couldn't get my gun out![:0]
    tom
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All mine have a screw adjustment on them.
  • Options
    Remington1981Remington1981 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the holster gets a little wear on it, it will get better
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man are you sure it doesn't have a retention screw on it just under the trigger guard area? Its the C21B model holster right?

I've got two Fobus holsters for my glock, one which I don't use anymore and the other I just got allows me to carry concealed with my M6 laser/light module on it. The older used the trigger guard for retention, and I noticed after a while that there is a rub mark on my glock on the sides of the front of the trigger guard now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by leeblackman
    Man are you sure it doesn't have a retention screw on it just under the trigger guard area? Its the C21B model holster right?

I've got two Fobus holsters for my glock, one which I don't use anymore and the other I just got allows me to carry concealed with my M6 laser/light module on it. The older used the trigger guard for retention, and I noticed after a while that there is a rub mark on my glock on the sides of the front of the trigger guard now.
    I'm 100% sure.

The model # is KTP-11.

I may just mount it in my Bronco for a place to keep a gun in there as have another holster for it (not really the right holster but it fits it just fine).
  • Options
    RaupleminzeRaupleminze Member Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine has an adjustment screw, if yours dont looks like you have to get busy with filing to fit.......file it a little and then check and repeat until you get the desired effect.
  • Options
    breddyrrtbreddyrrt Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grd,
    First spray some silcone inside the holster.

Then make sure you are trying to pull it out with it on your belt.

If you try with it not on your belt, be sure to grasp the paddle and pull. It want turn loose if you grasp the holster part.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    That thing has got to be over 20 years old if it doesn't have the adjustment screw.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where is the pictures of the Holster so we can all say Chit it should work,.[:D]
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done
    My new P-11 came with a Fobus holter for it.

Are these things allways so tight?

The gun goes in fine but you have to pull friggen hard as hell to get it out of it!

Is there a way to make it easier to pull out?

Kevin I have a Fobus for my P-11 also. I found that if I give it a quick, strong jerk, it will come out a lot easier. I think that they are made that tight for retention in a scuffle. At least that's my theory why they are so excessively tight. But, I don't have to worry about it falling out accidentally.[^]

If I take off the holster with the P-11 inside, it is extremely hard to get the gun out of the holster.
  • Options
    oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    I was told when I bought mine that you have to draw at the right angle to get a good release. I have two holsters, one works great, the other is kind of tight. GRD, just experiment with drawing at different angles and see if that makes a difference.
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    That thing has got to be over 20 years old if it doesn't have the adjustment screw.

I got my fobus paddle holsters for a S&W j-frame and a glock 23 in 2005 and neither have an adjustment screw.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got them for a P11, P3AT and a Chief Airweight.
    I leave the pistols in the holsters and they loosen up some.
    They probably don't work so well if you don't wear a belt for the
    locking tabs to hook under.
    A hair drier might loosen them up some.
    Note there is a catch in these holsters just behind the front of the triggerguard that might be worked on.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to break it in. You will get used to it. I've been using one for 10 years now. It was very tight, now it is perrrrfecttttt ![:D]
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have about 5 of them, i spray silicone in them, and just draw, draw, draw
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    i have one, which i bought for a gun i no longer own and for got to sell it along with the gun.

the i saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

now, rumor has it that fobus has taken steps to make this a thing of the past. i havent investigated this myself, so i cant speak one way or the other. but the only way id ever feel comfortable carrying in a fobus paddle would be to personally test it in this manner.

as usual, your mileage may vary