In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bumpfire

Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
after watching a vid on it earlier today, I'm wondering is that technique any less accurate than using a full auto firearm in full auto?

Comments

• Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    I seen a guy at the range bumpfiring his semiauto AK47. Was fun to watch, wasted alot of ammo and accuracy was zero. Another guy said bumpfiring will damage your rifle. Is this true? I don't know how to do it but would'nt want to try and ruin my gun either.
    edited November -1
    Good fun, or hillbilly waste of ammo?

My ar with the jard trigger is the easiest to bumpfire out of any firearm I have ever shot. I only bumpfire from the shoulder, without rubber bands, or other aids. Does it make me a hoosier to enjoy this, or is it an acceptable form of entertainment?
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What ever trips your trigger! [;)]
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel

Both! If your havin' a good time, go for it!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75

Both! If your havin' a good time, go for it!
    how about doing it while kissing my cousin?
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    It was fun when ammo was 1/5 the current price.........

Now it just hurts.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

As long as your balls don't touch!
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kissing your cousin? Whatever floats your boat dude, but dont do it around me [:0] I may just run away after that.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    If you are ok spending the money for it, by all means go for it.

Some of my shooting buddies do it too. Not really all that impressive to me when you did the real thing for so many years with SAW, M60, M16. So I tell my buddies go for it and I just am a spectator.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper
    If you are ok spending the money for it, by all means go for it.

Some of my shooting buddies do it too. Not really all that impressive to me when you did the real thing for so many years with SAW, M60, M16. So I tell my buddies go for it and I just am a spectator.

I have had my time behind a 16, but I still enjoy blasting. It is a nice break to the tedious accuracy and chronographing that takes up much of my shooting time
  • burn1bobburn1bob Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's good fun all right but is STILL illegal. Might wanna check the BATFE laws. Link to their sight was posted on here once. I checked it out, and, sure enough, there's a law against it. Can't find the link, though. Maybe google it.
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what is a "bumpfire"? I have an old "Hellfire" device, it looks like a clothes pin spring, is that similar?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burn1bob
    It's good fun all right but is STILL illegal. Might wanna check the BATFE laws. Link to their sight was posted on here once. I checked it out, and, sure enough, there's a law against it. Can't find the link, though. Maybe google it.
    I would like to know how it would be illegal considering there is no alteration or device used, and the firearm is operating as intended. I am sorry, I would only believe that it is illegal if I seen a direct link to a government agency stating such
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lkannes
    what is a "bumpfire"? I have an old "Hellfire" device, it looks like a clothes pin spring, is that similar?
    it is a technique that yields same effect except it does not require any device to get the desired result.
  • burn1bobburn1bob Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I't not that tough. google BATF. got to website. search. I already did.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burn1bob
    I't not that tough. google BATF. got to website. search. I already did.
    ok, then do so and post the link to it. I am not the one making a point that something is illegal. Shouldn't take much of your time if it is so readily available?!?!? I am on a aircard, with digital signal in the middle of nowhere oklahoma right now, I do not think it would bear the strain.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    "bump Fire" and "bumpfire" searches on BATFE website have no results. That is as far as I am going to search it. They don't address it directly, there is no mod to the weapon, only one shot per trigger pull = no violation of law.

If there is something else on BATFE website that we are all missing, please post away.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper
    "bump Fire" and "bumpfire" searches on BATFE website have no results. That is as far as I am going to search it. They don't address it directly, there is no mod to the weapon, only one shot per trigger pull = no violation of law.

If there is something else on BATFE website that we are all missing, please post away.

There are no laws against it that I'm aware of...
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The BATFE today ruled a practice common in gun circles catering to those who own assault rifles, known as "bump firing," to be illegal and to constitute a de facto machine gun. Effective February 19th, 2007, prosecution will be sought against anyone in possession of a known bump firing device. To ensure compliance with the new law, BATFE has instructed owners of semiautomatic firearms to chop off each of their thumbs, place them in individual plastic baggies, ZiplocT brand preferred, and take them to the nearest BATFE amnesty field collection center."
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    "The BATFE today ruled a practice common in gun circles catering to those who own assault rifles, known as "bump firing," to be illegal and to constitute a de facto machine gun. Effective February 19th, 2007, prosecution will be sought against anyone in possession of a known bump firing device. To ensure compliance with the new law, BATFE has instructed owners of semiautomatic firearms to chop off each of their thumbs, place them in individual plastic baggies, ZiplocT brand preferred, and take them to the nearest BATFE amnesty field collection center."

bwahaha, that is great Marc. Thanks for the laugh
    edited November -1
    Bumpfiring is NOT illegal,......he is most likely referencing when BATF reversed their rulings on most of those "mechanical attachments" that were being sold as legal initially.
    edited November -1
    Bumpfiring is NOT illegal,......he is most likely referencing when BATF reversed their rulings on most of those "mechanical attachments" that were being sold as legal initially.
    I think everyone except one person in this thread already knew that, but I wasn't going on a snipe hunt to prove him wrong.
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7

As long as your balls don't touch!

LMAO
    edited November -1
    I guess I better throw out my rubber bands too![:0]

Actually I never found they made much difference.[;)]
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    I think everyone except one person in this thread already knew that, but I wasn't going on a snipe hunt to prove him wrong.

Snipe hunt is right, it would be damn hard to prove it is not illegal because the BATF does not address things that ARE legal, only the BS they determine to be illegal.

Maybe he's refering to the hellstorm or similar device being added to a firearm to make it bumpfire, those were determined by the BATF to be illegal modification.
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried to find my "Hellfire" attachment. It appears to have been lost.
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have my BMF Activator. I have used a heavy rubber band and it works like a charm with the right touch. Weak ones don't do diddly.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its more practical with a pistol with a light weight single action triger like the 1911, You can actually hit something. It pretty easy with SW M&P pistols too.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Tons of fun!

And if you can afford the ammo... Why not?

I love the looks of astonishment you get at the range.[:D]
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We catch Hell if we do it at the range, in club rules: no machine guns or full automatic weapons of any kind on club property. so we do it at Eds house.......he don't care.[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:D]