In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Grand kids you got to love them

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
My 4 year old grandson Cameron follows me around all the time. Yesterday after work i was refinishing a friends rifle stock. I have sanded this thing for 5 hours with steel wool. It was smooth as a babys butt. My wife called me to do something my grandkid was watching tv so he stayed in the room. While i was gone he took 36 grit sandpaper to the stock and had a good time. I let him help me most of the time so he thought he was doing me a favor. All i could do is laugh and start over. He can no longer reach sandpaper.

Comments

• calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    He probably picked it up and realized that the weight was off. He was simply taking off some excess weight to make the gun more balanced. You should thank him.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron
    He probably picked it up and realized that the weight was off. He was simply taking off some excess weight to make the gun more balanced. You should thank him.

i didnt know your 4 year old grandson could type and to come on here to justify his actions for grandpa, how cute[:0]
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    His spellings about as good as mine also
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes sir grandkids are great! Gonna go see mine at the end of the month.Can't wait!
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I guess your lucky you did'nt have your checkering tools out. [8D]
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never tried checkering. Im scared of messing someones gun up. I could use scrap wood.
  • Rocky4windsRocky4winds Member Posts: 760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have grandkids, but my own kids are enough. I had just finished sanding the walls after taping in a remodeled bathroom in the basement, and was gathering my tools and going to put them away, and when I came back down the stairs I heard a thumping sound coming from the bathroom. Sure enough, my 4-year-old was in there with a screw driver customizing the walls. I think I left them out of frustration and just painted over them.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a good chuckle out of this one.

Did you thank him for his help?
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my daughters were little they washed my new truck with rocks once, I was slightly broken hearted but thanked them :)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If we had known how much fun the grandkids are, we woulda had them INSTEAD.

Had grand-daughter (age 7) out fishing on the river. She looked out across the river (about a half mile at that point) at large building complex, and asked what it was. I thought a minute, and explained that was a state prison (for women). That if a woman did something really bad, the judge could send her there, and she had to stay there for a long time, away from other people. Very quiet for a minute, then asked "But what if they do something bad on THIS side of the river?"
  • Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use to build a lot of my own fishing rods. I did not have a lathe so I would invert and place a power drill in a vice to work down the cork handle to the shape I wanted. My youngest daughter was helping me (she was about 4 then, 23 now). Suddenly she bolted from next to my legs to grab the cat that just went under the work bench. I did not notice her head and how close it was to the turning rod. When I looked to the side I saw a big ball of blond hair around the rod. I looked down to see Molly sitting on the floor holding the cat. On the very top of her head was a quarter size spot missing hair. Could not have been closer if I had shaved her. I gasped and she looked up at me, not crying and asked, "What is wrong Daddy?" I grabbed her and went upstairs. My wife rushed her to the doctor's office. Doctor said he was afraid that since the hair was ripped out by the roots he did not thnk it would grow back. She never cried but I caught heck from he wife when they got home. Lukily it did grow bac and she has a beautiful head of blond hair now. She teases me now that, "Daddy, my hair grew back after being tore out, what is your excuse?" I guess I deserve it! [:)]
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    ... All i could do is laugh and start over. He can no longer reach sandpaper.

I like your attitude.
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 2yr old grand daughter looks into my gun cabinet and points, saying HAVE IT!! so in a couple of years I'll give her my first gun, a single shot .22 springfield. 'Poppa' will teach her gun safety, responsablity, accuracy, and the joy of squirrell hunting in the fall.... I can't wait![^]