In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger is coming out with their own AR style rifle

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
It's called the SR-556 and is a gas piston operated rifle...

I don't know if I'd trust it though...Ruger has has way too many recalls lately.

Comments

• quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1,

The only two rugers I have actually learned to love are the 10/22 and 77. I respect the Mk I pistol.
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will be getting one. Never had a problem with any of my Rugers. Slight problem with Bill Rugers left tendencies but never the firearms
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    If you're worried about recalls, then give up guns altogether because there hasn't been a major manufacturer in the past twenty years that hasn't had a recall.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Be interesting to see the thing. Wonder if it's "mil-spec"? Steel recievers would be nice.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Dunno. The AC-556, to my knowledge has never been under recall. Let's wait and see about the SR-556. Joe
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Earl,

As much as I truly respect your opinions I don't think they are competing with their Mini-14's. Rather they are expanding their line to include what is popular in the market now and cash in on the stampede.

drjew
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 recalls in a companies history is pretty minimal if you ask me-especially a company that is 50 years old. How many recalls has Ford, GM, Chrysler had and they are very old companies. As long as a company is willing to stand behind the product and fix the problem I'll continue to buy it. It's not like they build Lorcin's or other potmetal guns that are destined to fail from the beginning. Besides if they build a AR style rifle that is a good one, the folks that hate the Mini-14 but like other Ruger guns will have another semi-auto option.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eboydell
    Seems like they are competing with there Mini-14's. I don't get Ruger's logic!

The mini 14's suck IMO they need to do something to get that old antiquated dog out of a fight it cant win
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger isn't the only firearm manufacturer with current or has had recalls. Remington has had the 700 recall. I own all three makes..

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=12002?ionId=10506
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    I would probably buy one if it was a reasonable price. Most gas piston AR types are aweful spendy.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp
    quote:Originally posted by eboydell
    Seems like they are competing with there Mini-14's. I don't get Ruger's logic!

The mini 14's suck IMO they need to do something to get that old antiquated dog out of a fight it cant win

+1

who the wants to pay 40.00 apiece for 20 round mags. that work? on top of they are not very accurate. they suck.
    edited November -1
    Never had my mini fail me in 27 yrs. Thousands of rounds shot through it.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I'd consider buying one, especially with the piston. For those who trash the mini-14 and mini-30, I've liked them. They don't compare to an AR for accuracy, but then they've been a lower-priced alternative also.

Truth is, I've never had a Ruger I didn't like. And I've had a few.
    edited November -1
    minute and a half till the unveiling at ruger.com
    edited November -1
    I am not saying they are unreliable, i am saying they suck when compared to an AR-15 which is somewhat less reliable. I am not saying that the factory sights suck, i am just saying they suck when compared to an AR-15A2. I am not saying they arent an accurate rifle in theory, but an AR-15 will out shoot them side by side in reality. Mounting a scope on them and never looseing zero is iffy. Mags cost 40 dollars apiece.

I have owned 1 for awhile. They are ok but they suck when compared with newer designs that cost about the same amount of money.
    edited November -1
    [:D] Great looking gun. When are they going to be available? I want to get my order in. Got my Vrod ordered today with a little bit extra for the Ruger now.[:D]
    edited November -1
    Even rugers web sight sucks.
    edited November -1
  • 17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got three Model 77 Mk II's, a Mini-14, and a Bisley. I've never had one issue with any of them, always shoot like a dream. I can't wait to see the new SR-556 in person...may need to add this one to the "wish list".
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    They won't compete with the Mini - they'll be (at least) twice the money.

And I'd be shocked if they used a steel receiver, unless it's cast.

Doug.

Gonna go look at the website, now.

Doug
    edited November -1
    Caliber: 5.56mm NATO/.223 Rem.
    Barrel Length: 16 1/8"
    Stock: 6-Position Telescoping M4-Style
    Rear Sight: Folding BattleSights (Windage)
    Suggested Retail Price: $ 1995.00

OK, that qualifies as "at least".

Doug
    edited November -1
    From the specs, it appears to be an aluminum receiver.

Doug
    edited November -1
    I'm not very impressed.

Ruger shouldnt try to compete with the likes of LWRC or even para ord.. It would be alot smarter if they had made a gun aimed at the middle price range say 1400.00 or below.
    edited November -1
    Caliber: 5.56mm NATO/.223 Rem.
    Capacity: 30 Rounds
    Finish: ManganesePhosphate/HardcoatAnodized
    Stock: 6-Position Telescoping M4-Style
    Barrel Length: 16 1/8"
    Groove: 6
    Twist: 1:9" RH
    Overall Length: 32.75" - 36"
    Weight: 7.92 lbs
    California Approved: No
    Massachusetts Approved: No
    Front Sight(s): Folding BattleSights (Elev.)
    Rear Sight(s): Folding BattleSights (Windage)
    Other Features: AR Compatible Selector Lever
    Suggested Retail Price: $ 1995.00

Extras with this
    Product include:
    ?Instruction Manual

?Troy Industries 10" Quad Rail

?3 Troy Industries Rail Covers

?3 30-Round MAGPUL PMAG Magazines

?Soft Sided Carry Case

?Lock
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just got put on the wait list at one of my distributors. i will be marking them around 1500, you will see probaly from 15-2000 bucks when they come out.

ill probaly have to have one myself since i love rugers.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal
    just got put on the wait list at one of my distributors. i will be marking them around 1500, you will see probaly from 15-2000 bucks when they come out.

ill probaly have to have one myself since i love rugers.

Thats better, they should atleast try to compete with DI rifles from S&W and the others, as well as the sig 556 and stg-556.
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Ruger AR15 at about the same price as a Les Baer AR15 Police tactical.

Well I guess for those that believe Ruger makes superior rifles over Les Baer that would be fine.

I am just not one that believes Ruger make a quality product and I have owned a half dozen.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure is purdy, but $1995 ............I don't think so! I've owned a mini14 since 1986 and have yet to clean it, (personal test) to see how many rounds it will eat before it malfunctions, so far close to 10k rounds and not even a hicup. I've shot winchester, remington, wolf, brown bear, surplus, lake city....etc, ammo and it still functions just fine. try that with an AR15, which I also own but I clean after range time, everytime.