In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tred Barta is Paralyzed

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
He was on the way to Alaska and suffered an obscure ailment known as a spinal stroke.
He is paralyzed from the chest down.
Prognosis is not good.

100-0509news_tred.jpg

http://celebgalz.com/tred-barta-tred-barta-paralyzed-by-spinal-stroke-photo/

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn Allen, kill the link, it almost blew up my computer!!! Don
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I remember that guys show on the outdoor channel. The guy's somewhat of a blowhard, but the guy was a truly dedicated hunter, and always practiced fair-chase. A true sportsman. Bummer[V]!!
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is a bad *.
    I saw him kill a caribou with a longbow and a home made arrow, with a flint point that Barta himself had made.
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    I agree with you, FishKiller. The guy was a bit of a loudmouth. Probably wouldn't want to spend much time with him huntin' or campin'. But he was a traditional archer with stick arrows, which is a step better than my compound bow with carbon arrows (not that I'd give 'em up!). And he did speak out for hunters' rights.

Watched him on one show in Alaska stalkin' shoreline black bears with stick and string. Not every guy'll get in that close on the ground with bruins. Hope he recovers.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, I hope he gets well.[:(] One of the few hunting shows that I very much enjoy watching.

Jon
    edited November -1
    Yeah, you guys are right, I wouldn't want to go fishing with him.
    I saw a deep sea fishing show, every time another guy hooked a fish, Barta was leaning over his shoulder, loudly telling him the "proper" way to reel in the fish.
    He was overbearing and obnoxious, what a loudmouth.
    Still I do enjoy watching his shows, anybody who will stalk a griz with a longbow has got some guts.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couldn't get the link you posted to work Allen, but I did find this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tred_Barta

Appears that there have been some minor improvements.[^]

Jon
    edited November -1
    Yeah, that link has gone bye-bye, go figure.
    Anyway it didn't say much, only 4 sentences.

Here is a pretty informative story:

smiller@vaildaily.com
    Eagle County, CO Colorado
    Share on Facebook Email Print Comment

What's a spinal stroke?
    The same way a cerebral stroke blocks blood to a portion of the brain, a spinal stroke occurs when blood stops flowing to a portion of the spinal cord. The initial symptoms can include numbness in the legs or feet.
    EAGLE COUNTY, Colorado - Tred Barta had a trip to Alaska booked and ready to go when his leg went a little numb a couple of weeks ago. Now, he's in a Denver hospital, waiting for a trip to a physical rehabilitation hospital.

Barta, host of "The Best and Worst of Tred Barta" show on the Versus cable TV channel, suffered a spinal stroke a couple of weeks ago. It started while he was horseback riding near his place on Salt Creek near Eagle. He credits quick care by local doctors for getting him to Denver quickly.

Since then, he's been in a hospital room at Denver Health Medical Center, a room that now hold an elk skin blanket and one of Barta's signature long bows.

"He's fine from the belly button up," Barta's wife, Anni, said.

From the belly button down is a different story. Barta has feeling in his lower body, but can't walk. He's been accepted as a patient at Craig Hospital in Denver, one of the country's leading facilities for helping people with spinal cord or brain injuries.

Before getting to Denver, though, Barta spent some quality time with some of the Vail Valley's doctors.

He started at the Steadman Hawkins clinic in Vail, where Dr. Sanjitpal Gill suspected a pinched nerve and wrote a referral to Dr. Thomas Palic, a local chiropractor.

A couple of days later, though, Barta started having serious pain in his lower body. The pain was bad enough that Barta had to stop on Interstate 70. A Colorado State Patrol officer took him to Palic's office.

After a couple of text messages between Palic and Gill, Palic drove Barta to the emergency room at Vail Valley Medical Center. An ambulance ride to Denver came later that day.

While Barta's still facing an unknown path and uncertain recovery, he said he's grateful for the locals who helped him. He's also thankful for his relatively new neighbors up Salt Creek.

"Everybody's called, neighbors are taking care of our horses and dogs," Barta said. "I've gotten more than 200,000 e-mails, but the first flowers that came were from the Eagle Pharmacy."

Barta raises a lot of money for children's charities every year, but said he's been bowled over by the response he's received from friends, fans and neighbors.

"When you help an old lady across the street you don't think anything about it," he said. "When you're the old lady, you do."

While Barta's down at the moment, his TV career's going to continue. Versus is going to document his rehabilitation, and both Barta and Anni said they expect it to go well.

"With Tred, once he's focused on something, there's no stopping him," Anni said.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I couldn't stand watching him,...he was definitely a blowhard. I feel for him with his situation though
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just watch his show for the comedy, yeah he's full of himself, but the guy hunts with a longbow and handmade flint arrows, helll, Nugent does'nt even do that. Now he gets a slice of humble pie. I'm an L4-5 parapligic, and have been since 2002. My neurologist has not called my case a 'spinal stroke' altho to me it sounds the same symptoms as Bartas but a short circuit in the spinal cord....WHA-LA parapligic! living life in a wheelchair has it's perks, I get to park in the handiclapped section with all the old people, whohoo! I still enjoy going hunting, except I do it from a truck. I still ride a motorcycle, with a sidecar for my chair. living in a wheelchair is a life changing event but there are ways around it. I hope Barta comes around full circle and does'nt have to live in a W/c, but if he does he has friends and family to help with the adjustment. I WISH HIM WELL!