In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I have been ordered to appear in court.

Chockfull O NutsChockfull O Nuts Member Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in General Discussion
Jury duty. This will be fun. :( I have been called several times but never get seated. You think maybe I'm too opinionated? :) Maybe I shouldn't "He looks guilty to me!" when I walk into the courtroom?

Comments

• Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    Mutter about the death sentence a lot, especially in civil cases. [:D]
  • Options
    Doc FeelgoodDoc Feelgood Member Posts: 542 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I share your experiences. I have been called many times and every time it is a complete waste of my time and taxpayers money. I have never been seated. Don't know why. I promised to give each of them a fair trial before we hanged them.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Mutter about the death sentence a lot, especially in civil cases.

That's funny!

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife was called for jury duty and picked to be seated. During the inclusion/exclusion questioning (the trial was for armed robery) the prosecuting attorney asked the question, " are any of the jurors now or have been members of the National Rifle Association?" Only my wife stood up and told them she was not a member but her husband was. You know the rest of the story. She was excused from serving.
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First words out of your mouth must be "Hang that f___ing (insert racial remark)!" I guarantee you will not serve jury duty (probably not ever[:D]).

I'm not saying it's a moral or ethical thing to do, but it will work if you want to stay home.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    eastwood...I know that was meant as a humorous remark but do it in court and you'll probably be facing a contempt of court charge.

Mudge the prudent jurist

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    I got called for traffic court. Cases were for not wearing seatbelts. I was hoping I would be selected but I wasn't.

I think wearing a seatbelt is a good idea. However, I think a LAW requiring you to wear a seatbelt is a bad idea. It is not the State's place to protect us from the consequences of our own foolish choices.

Had I gotten on the jury, my vote, no matter what the evidence presented, would have been NOT GUILTY. I believe in jury nullification.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I've been called to jury duty and most of the time get an almost automatic dismissal because I'm a cop.

A few years ago, after the prosecution passed me on to the defense, the defense attorney put me on the jury. The prosecutor then objected to me being on the jury. The judge had a conference with the prosecutor and defense attorney at the bench. I could hear part of the conversation. The defense attorney insisted I be on the jury.

The prosecution didn't want me because they had a weak case and knew a cop in the jury box would see that easily. (cocaine possession)
    The defense attorney wanted me on the jury because he really believed his client was innocent and wanted me on the jury because he also knew me. How he knew me is another story, but he knew my honesty and integrity because of that.

The trial lasted two days. The courthouse was buzzing about Lawyer Hal putting Cop James on a jury in a drug trial! Black defendant, White cop. Lawyer Hal must be CRAZY!

The verdict: NOT GUILTY

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D]Hey nunn, yea lets all pay more insurance!!So you think the law is usless??WAKE UP.[:D][:D][:D][:D]

On your mark-get set- go away!!
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's pretty sad. People onager about how messed up the system is, what with crazy verdicts and such. People spouting all sorts of crap about the McDonald's coffee case, etc.
    When given a chance to serve, what would the whiners do?
    Find a way to shirk their civic duty. How pathetic. [V]
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    mpolans you have a very valid point. Most of the people that work to get out of jury duty would actually make excellant jurors.

The prosecution wants people with common sense. People somewhat educated, smart enough to figure out what the case is about.

The defense wants people that will believe almost any excuse or alibi.

And what do we have to wade through around here to pick a jury? Lil ole ladies that watch soap operas all day and college age kids that will believe anything the defense says.

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rebel_James

The defense attorney wanted me on the jury because he really believed his client was innocent and wanted me on the jury because he also knew me. How he knew me is another story, but he knew my honesty and integrity because of that.

That's quite a interesting comment. Last time I was on jury duty they made quite clear to the prospective jurors, that they didn't want anybody on the panel who had previous contact, in any way, with the attorneys who were trying the case. I had imagined this would be standard procedure in all jurisdictions?

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by Rebel_James

That's quite a interesting comment. Last time I was on jury duty they made quite clear to the prospective jurors, that they didn't want anybody on the panel who had previous contact, in any way, with the attorneys who were trying the case. I had imagined this would be standard procedure in all jurisdictions?

In some jurisdictions, it's impossible to get around this. When the prosecutor and defense attorney between them are related in some way to everyone in the jury pool, you have to do make do.
  • Options
    Area51Area51 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Called for a criminal case once...
    Attorney asked if I owned any guns?
    "Yes."
    Any rifles?
    "Several."
    Any pistols?
    "A few."
    Any shotguns?
    "A couple."
    You must be a collector, he asked.
    "Within descretionary income limits."
    ...I was seated!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not saying that I'm trying to get out of it or that I resent it. It's my civic duty as a law-abiding citizen to participate in the judicial process and if seated I will do my best to offer an honest verdict based on the evidence. But it is a real inconvenience to miss work and I know that because I am a gunowner, NRA member, and a crime victim in the past the chances of my serving on a criminal jury are pretty slim and this will be a waste of time.
  • Options
    magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my notice for the last week in July. In my county you call in everyday to see if you have to report and I never did [?] I had already decided to look upon it as an interesting life experience but was still happy not to have to go.

mag
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got there and got sent home. Seems the deputies forgot to get the guy out of jail and bring him to the courthouse. I suspect the judge will have a few words for those responsible for wasting his time, jerking the jury pool members around and squandering a day of the court's time.