In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,512 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure why.

If I cared, I would not buy into the false narrative that these protests have anything to do with the military. The protests are supposedly against another largely false narrative of racially motivated police actions. They are supposedly about how our country has failed to respond properly to the largely false narrative.

It makes as much sense to say these protests are disrectful of the military as it does to say they are disrespectful of Olympic athletes.

This stupid elevation of this activity is as offensive as the actions themselves. Trump and those that make up these silly tales of disrespect for the military are deliberately making mountains of molehills.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what little my opinion is worth, I completely agree. Also, should we only stand for the national anthem when we are at a live event? Honestly, when watching a sporting event on television at home in the recliner, how many here stand when the national anthem is played? I would bet the percentage would be pretty low. I don't because I never really thought about it, but certainly do when I am at a live event.

quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Not sure why.

If I cared, I would not buy into the false narrative that these protests have anything to do with the military. The protests are supposedly against another largely false narrative of racially motivated police actions. They are supposedly about how our country has failed to respond properly to the largely false narrative.

It makes as much sense to say these protests are disrectful of the military as it does to say they are disrespectful of Olympic athletes.

This stupid elevation of this activity is as offensive as the actions themselves. Trump and those that make up these silly tales of disrespect for the military are deliberately making mountains of molehills.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not attempting to come down on our law enforcement officers here, but police brutality has existed as long as I can remember. I saw my own father when I was a child beaten to the ground by a couple of pricks, one in particular. That said, the subject needs to be consistently addressed at all levels.

Now, the problem with these players and their protests is that they are connected with some very bad people on the left. That is a fact, too. Again, that said, they need to distance themselves from people who do not protest peacefully, but in very hateful ways. There is very little hope for such separation to ever happen, which is to say, that such thinking is delusional from the * go, IMO. Very sad, since such activities in the past have produced a continuing decline of peaceful co-existence in our country...so, I expect more of the same.
    What's next?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by neacpa
    For what little my opinion is worth, I completely agree. Also, should we only stand for the national anthem when we are at a live event? Honestly, when watching a sporting event on television at home in the recliner, how many here stand when the national anthem is played? I would bet the percentage would be pretty low. I don't because I never really thought about it, but certainly do when I am at a live event.

quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Not sure why.

Achtung!!!! [:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think what Dave was getting at is DoD having to Pay to be on the jumbotron/gigantascreen (whatever it's called).

If that's the case Dave, I don't see any slight to the services, those who serve or want to serve.

"The National Guard responded by asserting that it was a useful recruitment tool.

"Promoting and increasing the public's understanding and appreciation of military service in the New Jersey Army National Guard increases the propensity for service in our ranks and garners public support for our Hometown Team," Guard spokesman Patrick Daugherty said."

When you take it in context the screen time is being used as an advertising tool.
    At least that's the way I read it.
    It's when journalists start applying sensationalized titles to their articles that pisses me off.