In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Automotive shop rant---UPDATED--pix

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
Took my Tacoma in earlier today to a Gateway shop just down the street. Asked if they would remove my 4 chrome wheels and reinstall the tires on my original OEM wheels, balance--blah, blah, blah. No problem.

Left the truck, came home and thought I'm better call them back and tell them I didn't want them to rotate the tires cause I wanted to keep the best 2 on the front. Called and was told "one of my tires has a bad bead and it really was not safe". I don't care just go ahead and mount the tires as I requested. We can't do that because of the safety issue
OK, I'll sign a waiver that you are not responsible/liable---just mount the tires. It's not safe for the our "technician" to mount the tire. Now, OK---I'm thinking---you want to sell me another tire (I'm getting really pi$$ed). OK, just use the full size spare. Well, not sure if we can do that----my temper and a couple of 4 letter words----just mount the $$#@*&^ spare----what part do you not understand! OK!

I've been to this shop several times in the past 8 years; but, never anything like this. It's my last visit.

UPDATE:
Well, now I feel like a total idiot. Thought I was being scammed, also. Picked up my truck---Gateway had installed a new tire at "no charge". Told them---I didn't expect them to install a new tire. Got home and checked the old "bad bead" tire----sure enough steel belts (wire) was showing through right on the tire bead. Called the clerk at Gateway---profusely apologized (had, also, apologized to him earlier for my behavior on the phone) and told him I'd come in Monday and pay for the tire. He said that was not necessary---that's fine; but, I'll be there Monday and pay for the tire and, probably, apologize again. My wife said that I should have told him that I am just a "grumpy old man". God, I hate it when she's right!

UPDATE--Pictures Can you tell "IF" the shop caused this damage removing the tire from the wheel?

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot all the lawyers.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yet another company trying to scam you........this is typical these days. I'd LOVE to see the "bad bead" and make them show me where it was bad. 90% chance it isn't bad at all.

Merc
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    I d have said ill be down to look at it. Show me this bad bead.
  • Options
    hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably wasn't bad until they tore it up trying to remove/reinstall the tire.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hawkeye6020

+1
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D]...crow tastes really bad don't it?...talking from experience...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't mount a tire with a severely damaged bead. When you air it up, the bead will pull apart and crawl right over the edge of the rim. Then, BOOM!
    I've never done it, but I've heard of guys doing it. [:I]

I doubt if the tech damaged it removing the tire. Possible though. Hey, it's a slow news day. Post some pics! [:o)]
  • Options
    ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta similiar story. My mother in laws truck needed tires so I took it to a shop. Their tech came out and said he couldn't mount new tires on the truck because the rims were too rusty.

Thinking he was scamming I took my business elsewhere....but in the parking lot I looked at the rims after they yanked the Toyota's hubcaps off.....dang...there wasn't really anything holding the tires on what was called rims at one point in time.

Oh well....the other shop I ended up at was cheaper anyways.
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We owned two tire stores for 35 yrs and broken beads and rusty wheels= cocked machine gun held by a pi$$ed off retard in a mall. ie very DANGEROUS SITUATION! [xx(]
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--I had a tire shop (BF Goodrich) and that same thing happened twice---

--At some time earlier, someone had tried to swap tires on a Home Improvement tire changer and the Bead's were gouged--

--Liability cost won't cover what could happen if the tire had been remounted and aired up--to dangerous--

So without seeing the bead, you're kind stuck pilgrim--

--[:D][:D]--JIMBO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After seeing the pics, this doesn't look like damage caused by the tech. If it were, I'd expect to see relatively small "bite" damage in one area and kinked bands at the bead, caused by prying the tire up over the rim. This looks like it has been that way for a while too.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the root cause?
    Flaw in the tire?
    Low pressure?
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I think this is a manufacturing flaw, or perhaps a run flat.

I also think you may owe the tech an apology, and the store your continued loyalty.

It's a pretty sure thing that these guys saved your bacon.

Doug
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow........an actual flaw! [:D] Guess they didn't rip you off this time. I've had bozos try that crap on me TWICE now. Both times, there was nothing wrong with the tire. Another time, they tried to rip my wife off, saying they couldn't repair a tire because it had a 1/4" hole in it! She HAD to buy a new one, they said. I raised hell with them, they put it back together, and I took it to a different place, they patched it with no problem. They said "They were just trying to sell a tire to your wife!"

I hate crooks!

Merc
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I think this is a manufacturing flaw, or perhaps a run flat.

I also think you may owe the tech an apology, and the store your continued loyalty.

It's a pretty sure thing that these guys saved your bacon.

Doug
    +1 on running it flat or more likely low on air for a period of time,causing heat to build in the sidewall and bead,and seperation begins to occur,could be factory flaw, low air pressure more likely ,even 10-15 lbs low at higher speeds it builds up heat faster
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Show up at lunch with a couple pizzas. It's all good. [:)]
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    The problem I have is that the bead is dry. If you are dismounting a tire for reuse, the bead should be lubricated to keep it from tearing like that. That being said tires aren't made to be mounted and dismounted over and over again, it is extremely hard on them. The damage could have happened last time it was dismounted.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my wife goes in to get an alignment, she usually is sold a couple of tires. It's never happened to me or my dad. Go in for an alignment and get an alignment. Now that I think of it, I've been told by the guy doing the alignment that there is no money in alignments for the shop owner. With the cost of the machine versus the price of the alignment, there isn't much for profit.

I guess it's logical for the shop owner to use the alingment to sell tires whenever possible.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The alignment rack is a capital investment, and is depreciated over time.

The labor from doing the alignments is 100 percent profit, and if paid for in cash, can be skimmed.

Tire stores would love to do nothing but alignments, 20 or 30 times a day, every day.

Doug
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have someone else look at it.
    Les Schwab did 2 of my wife's snow tires that way.
    It was caused by someone that didn't know what he was doing.
    The manager told me what happened and replaced them free.
    AC
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    That is a pinch from a tire machine.

Look at the lower left portion - see the pinch? No LUBE when they were trying to dismount the tire.
  • Options
    kallwilsonkallwilson Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello friends

Automotive shop rant updated pix A woman he had just met - she was negotiating to buy his 1976 Pacer - called Doug Ridgway on a Saturday morning in January insisting he visit a thrift shop on the campus of Assumption School in Jacksonville.
    So Ridgway, 64, drove to the store off Atlantic Boulevard, where his new friend showed him a tuxedo for sale. Ridgway had told her he had been training to become a benefit auctioneer, so she knew he needed a tux.This one was beautiful and it fit perfectly.
    "How much is this?" Ridgway asked the cashier.
    When she told him $5, he was shocked. It wasn't enough, he insisted. Then he wrote a check - he doesn't remember for how much but it was for "a lot more" than $5.
    Several days later, Ridgway got a call from the president of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul. Founded in France in 1833, the society's purpose "is to embrace the world in a network of charity," according to its Web site.

Thanks to all
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kallwilson
    Hello friends

Automotive shop rant updated pix A woman he had just met - she was negotiating to buy his 1976 Pacer - called Doug Ridgway on a Saturday morning in January insisting he visit a thrift shop on the campus of Assumption School in Jacksonville.
    So Ridgway, 64, drove to the store off Atlantic Boulevard, where his new friend showed him a tuxedo for sale. Ridgway had told her he had been training to become a benefit auctioneer, so she knew he needed a tux.This one was beautiful and it fit perfectly.
    When she told him $5, he was shocked. It wasn't enough, he insisted. Then he wrote a check - he doesn't remember for how much but it was for "a lot more" than $5.
    Several days later, Ridgway got a call from the president of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul. Founded in France in 1833, the society's purpose "is to embrace the world in a network of charity," according to its Web site.

Thanks to all

My sentiment exactly
  • Options
    SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    Kallwillson is an odd spammer. Seems to have some kind of real time intelligence and can post semi-intelligent articles all the while trying to hock UK fuel fleet cards...

Find one good repair shop, and stick with them. I usually deal with specialty/Race shops because the motor in my car is not OEM, the suspension is all aftermarket and they take better care of my car.
  • Options
    big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hawkeye6020
    That is EXACTLY what happened....been there done that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As far as I know, kallwilson is NOT related to me.

This is puzzling.

Dredging up ancient threads...

Doug
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kallwilson
    Hello friends

Thanks to all

rabbit_pancake.jpg
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colt Super
    This is puzzling.

Dredging up ancient threads...

Doug

This, after I pulled the bunny card. Dohhh.