In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ALUMINUM WELDING ROD

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
Anybody here ever use any of that aluminum welding rod that apply with a propane torch ? I first saw it at a gunshow about 20 years ago.The guy was welding all kinds of aluminum things together with it.He welded some motorcycle side cases,a lawnmower engine block and some pipe with it.I bought some about 10 years ago and just got around to trying it out tonight.Welded two pieces of aluminum together.It appears to be a strong weld and it was quite easy.Anybody here used it for home repairs ? We have to send out alot of aluminum stuff at work to be welded and it costs alot of money.
EvilDr235

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea man, you can pick them up at any welding supply place. About $150 a can. And to be honest I really don't think they make a good universal weld everything. I'd prefer a silver solder before I'd use and aluminum rod and a propane torch. Cause its really not bonding metal together when you do it. Its more like soldering with aluminum. Its got a flux in the middle of the rod n stuff like solder. Cause if you really wanna weld aluminum together you have to heli-arch it, or at least thats the best way I know how.
  • Options
    ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    I've seen that stuff advertised on TV before. It does look interesting and I've been tempted to buy it but it looks too good to be true.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used it once many years ago, and i thought it was a good product! I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some more of that stuff!
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't recall the name of the stuff, but I used it on aluminium boats. Hands down, one 'ell of a lot better than patching fiberglass hulls.