In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Horse ID ?

gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in General Discussion
What breed of horse is she riding ?

tumblr_msqd7ngvbj1qa70eyo2_500.png > Mary Astor 1927

Never saw one before.

[;)]
It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    leopard appaloosa
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,034 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dalmatian.[:D]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Appaloosa, bread originally by the Nez Perce Indians. They where the first native Americans to develop a selective breeding program.
    During the height of their power in the west, it was said that the Nez Perce where the best mounted light cavalry in the world.
    It has also been said, that the reason the Indians rode Appys was, they wanted to be pissed off when they got to the fight.
    My grandfather said they rode them because it was the only horse a man could catch afoot.[;)]
    After chief Joseph and his band where defeated, the Army ordered all of the Appaloosa horse's killed, because they where superior to what the cavalry was mounted on. The Indians hid about 200 head in the lava beds of southern Oregon. They started breeding them again, to anything with four legs.
    The result of this breeding is the thin mane and tail found on many pure blood Appaloosa horses. In todays world, most Appaloosa's are basically American Quarter Horses, bread for color.
    The rider appears to be a bit Arab chested.[;)]
    W.D.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Appaloosa, bread originally by the Nez Perce Indians. They where the first native Americans to develop a selective breeding program.
    During the height of their power in the west, it was said that the Nez Perce where the best mounted light cavalry in the world.
    It has also been said, that the reason the Indians rode Appys was, they wanted to be pissed off when they got to the fight.
    My grandfather said they rode them because it was the only horse a man could catch afoot.[;)]
    After chief Joseph and his band where defeated, the Army ordered all of the Appaloosa horse's killed, because they where superior to what the cavalry was mounted on. The Indians hid about 200 head in the lava beds of southern Oregon. They started breeding them again, to anything with four legs.
    The result of this breeding is the thin mane and tail found on many pure blood Appaloosa horses. In todays world, most Appaloosa's are basically American Quarter Horses, bread for color.
    The rider appears to be a bit Arab chested.[;)]
    W.D.

,,,,,and 'pencil necked' !!!!![:D][}:)]

Nice to nibble on [}:)][:D]
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    You beat me tuit...
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

My guess as well but a real big one.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Watch the movie Hildalgo about a Appaloosa racing the Arabs across the desert with a mixed Indian owner/rider [;)], especially the ending.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer

Watch the movie Hildalgo about a Appaloosa racing the Arabs across the desert with a mixed Indian owner/rider [;)], especially the ending.

No, that was a Painthorse!
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Junkballer, you just insulted thousands of paint horses, not to mention their owners!
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Brigid O'Shaughnessy! (the rider, not the horse!)
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of the kids used to call them:happylouza
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5

Brigid O'Shaughnessy is a character in The Maltese Falcon, played by ~ Mary Astor.

And Thanks everyone for their answers !!!

[;)][:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zebra
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I knew an Old farmer that plowed his garden with an APPALOOSA cross MULE
    Smartest animal I ever saw.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gess just curious how are you posting photos?
    Your photo post keep's coming up with a square outline with X in it.
    I'm thinking it's my new laptop with new fire wall, but then again I can see all other photos posted.[B)]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,063 ******
    edited November -1
    [;)][;)][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Onehandude
    gess just curious how are you posting photos?
    Your photo post keep's coming up with a square outline with X in it.
    I'm thinking it's my new laptop with new fire wall, but then again I can see all other photos posted.[B)]

Nothing new on my end. The image source is Tumblr. I have posted MANY photos from Tumblr. Is this the first time you have had a problem with my pictures ?

Howabout this one -
    biplane.jpg > non-Tumblr image.

[;)]
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldrider
    Junkballer, you just insulted thousands of paint horses, not to mention their owners!
    Y'all are correct, I bow from shame, I should know better [:(]... But ! at least it was a horse and not a dalmatian dog [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5

Brigid O'Shaughnessy is a character in The Maltese Falcon, played by ~ Mary Astor.

And Thanks everyone for their answers !!!

[;)][:D]

Hence, the name "Mary Astor" at the bottom of the picture! [:D]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The only person of any note to ride a paint horse, was Tonto.[;)]
    W.D.
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    There was a reason the Indians rode Appaloosa horses...they were the only horses they could catch on foot..
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I knew an Old farmer that plowed his garden with an APPALOOSA cross MULE
    Smartest animal I ever saw.

Jughead was a hammerhead. Claude's neighbor had a Morgan that got in with his molly. He'd work pens and cut as good as most. Come time to hunt * with Claude he'd jump any fence I dropped my jacket over.