In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shipping damage to LC Smith- no insurance

snocountrysnocountry Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Recd. a great shotgun today but the buttstock is cracked at the sideplates. The outside box had a small amount of damage as did the hard case (cracked at the corner) Took it up to the post office and the postmaster said if it was insured- no problem. Called the seller and he asked "how do I know you didn't crack it taking the stock off"? I've shipped guns all over the country and never had a problem.
And said I'm through talking with you. It was paid for and shipped through the postal service and usps money orders so I'm in the process of talking with a postal inspector (phones busy) Any other ideas?? Iknow? lousy feedback but these types respond with worse. look at my one negative

Comments

• scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    so you bought the gun, paid for insurance and he shipped it with out buying the insurance?
    I think you could sue him to recover the money, the postmaster might even bring chages against him if he took money to buy insurance and didn't follow thru, and you can prove it with emails, PMO receipts and the original ad.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    Wait, I am more interested in the fact that this dude shipped a shotgun via post office!

Why? It happens everyday.

It is only illegal for NON FFL holders to ship pistols though the UPSP.

Any one can ship longs guns USPS and 01 FFL's can ship anything they want USPS.
  • snocountrysnocountry Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK- OK- don't get your shirt on fire- both of us are FFL's so it is perfectly legal to ship and receive via usps.
  • WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back to the insurance Q, did you purchase it? Should be no problem if you did, if not this will get interesting. If he didn't pay for the insurance and thought he could scrape a few extra bucks it's gonna cost him, keep us posted.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worry every time I ship a gun. These boxes are handled pretty harshly....and it is just BOUND to damage one sooner or later. I can't ever imagine shipping anything without insurance. That was the biggest mistake.

One thing I would get done as soon as possible. Ship that gun BACK insured with signature conformation. If you hold onto it for any lenth of time he can say something like....."I give a three day inspection and it has been too long to refund your money." If he is a cheeseball he could pull something like that. I would get it going back to him and start after him for your money.

The bad news.....getting your money is hard. Really, the only route you can take is to sue him if it comes down to it. You will have to get a lawyer in his area to file suit. The more you have to show your side of things...the better. Show pics of the auction....PRINT THAT OUT NOW since these things aren't available later. No insurance....I still can't believe anyone would ship something without it.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by snocountry
    Recd. a great shotgun today but the buttstock is cracked at the sideplates. The outside box had a small amount of damage as did the hard case (cracked at the corner) Took it up to the post office and the postmaster said if it was insured- no problem. Called the seller and he asked "how do I know you didn't crack it taking the stock off"? I've shipped guns all over the country and never had a problem.
    And said I'm through talking with you. It was paid for and shipped through the postal service and usps money orders so I'm in the process of talking with a postal inspector (phones busy) Any other ideas?? I know? lousy feedback but these types respond with worse. look at my one negative

With respect to feedback I think it's important for you to post it despite whatever knock the fellow may place against you. I had a similar situation & posted my honest feedback anyway. The seller of course retailiated - I went to GB directly & the negative feedback from me stood while theirs was negated. You can respond to their negative feedback on you, plus I think most folks can detect retaliatory feedback rather readily. The tone of what a person posts for rebuttal is pretty revealing, I think.

I've never held out much hope with respect to the Post Office getting involved based on USPS MO being used for payment. Unless it's an amount I'm willing to lose I always pay with a credit card. I know it's not foolproof and I miss out on deals, but I'm just morecomfortable that way.
    edited November -1
    #4 in the GB contract says "shipping and insurance" and seller said $30 in the ad. the ad also stated 7 day inspection- shipping included. Gun was shipped parcel post- not broken down as I requested- tho it was put into a hard case and no insurance. Gee sorry but for $2630 I expected a little more than this.
  • lovethemcoltslovethemcolts Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    REAL sellers ALWAYS post positive feedback for their buyers when payment is received.

The only reason a seller would ever hold feedback is to NEG a paying buyer ANYTIME they receive feedback they do not like.

I have considered neging each and EVERY seller that witholds feedback.

I ALWAYS post positive feedback to a paying buyer BEFORE I even ship the gun.

Ship an accurate described gun promptly and a good seller never should fear bad feedback from a paying buyer.

End of story...
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know you can go back and change the feedback you leave.....so, even after everything is done and over with....weeks even later....when you KNOW you have been given good feedback.....things can change.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
    edited November -1
    #4 in the GB contract says "shipping and insurance" and seller said $30 in the ad. the ad also stated 7 day inspection- shipping included. Gun was shipped parcel post- not broken down as I requested- tho it was put into a hard case and no insurance. Gee sorry but for $2630 I expected a little more than this.

so you expected 30 dollars to cover shipping and insurance for a 2600 dollar gun? I think you would have to admit you were expecting something for nothing unless you figured this seller had a trick for buying cheap insurance. Your seller is a complete idiot to not put at least enough insurance to cover damage on the gun

I shipped a 1500 dollar rifle today thru priority mail it came to 46 dollars including 1500 insurance and tracking/delivery confirmation and that was from washington to oklahoma. I probably waste money insuring the whole value, but then the gun could be totaled or stolen and I would be out a lot of cash for a protectable loss.
    I think the PO adds 100 dollars insurance automatically I doubt that will pay the whole repair but it is something...
    edited November -1
    Interesting- but the seller has several choices when listing ie: buyer pays shipping- seller pays shipping- buyer pays flat amount. Gunbroker says in their policy that set fee INCLUDES shipping and insurance. For the sake of argument- say the gun was stolen in transit and no insurance.- who would be out the $2630? the buyer or the seller? And to add insult the seller has stipulated in his ad-
    "seven day inspection period, shipping included". My email with the photos to the seller was time dated exactly 23 minutes after being delivered usps.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    How in the hell could it break in a hard case?
    edited November -1
    Interesting- but the seller has several choices when listing ie: buyer pays shipping- seller pays shipping- buyer pays flat amount. Gunbroker says in their policy that set fee INCLUDES shipping and insurance. For the sake of argument- say the gun was stolen in transit and no insurance.- who would be out the $2630? the buyer or the seller? And to add insult the seller has stipulated in his ad-
    "seven day inspection period, shipping included". My email with the photos to the seller was time dated exactly 23 minutes after being delivered usps.

Don't get me wrong, by the letter of the law and the wording in his ad, he is completely responsible. To answer your question, it makes no difference in this instance whether the gun is broken or stolen, he promised to provide a product and charged a fee for the service (even if it was partly included in the purchase price)
    Maybe He thought he was dodging a bullet by investing in a hard case for the gun he would have been better off to ship it in a paper bag and provide the promised insurance.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard of AR-15s haveing bent barrels after mail transit. Damn thats horrible about the L.C. in my opinion they are priceless.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    How in the hell could it break in a hard case?

Cheap $12 plastic case from wally-world.